Other than score, what is the most important stat to you in analyzing your game?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Title says it. For me, it is GIR, with number of putts being a close second.

# of putts is the one I like to look at the most, but for me it’s definitely penalties.

Putts generally. Up and downs are more important to me than GIRs.
Can you help me understand why up and downs are more important than number of GIR? Sincerely interested in your thoughts, hence the thread.

Average approach proximity.

Interesting how many people are saying putts. That would be nowhere near the top of my list. Not a good indicator for me.

Can you help me understand why up and downs are more important than number of GIR? Sincerely interested in your thoughts, hence the thread.
I think it is because I don't hit a ton of greens. My scores tend to come from solid wedge play and a low number of putts. So it's an important stat to tell me if I'm playing my best golf.

Average approach proximity.

Interesting how many people are saying putts. That would be nowhere near the top of my list.
You are getting at the same thing I am (and probably most others) when I say number of GIR, but I like your stat better, actually. For me, the number of putts is important because I want to look at it in relation to number of GIR. If I only hit 5 greens, I would expect to have a much lower than average number of putts. If I hit 15 greens, I know that I am going to have more putts, but I want to look at it and see how man putts relative to my average number of putts when hitting that number of greens, if that makes sense.

I'd take GIR over Putts. The more GIR I hit, the more puts I expect to have. If I am chipping from just off the green, I expect to have more 1 putts but less opportunities for birdies/pars.

I tend to review my rounds for 3 things:
1) FIR
2) GIR
3) How many putts within 15 feet and if they were for birdie or par or worse.

The last one usually tells me how good I am controlling the ball. Putts under 15 feet I feel I have a better shot of making or at least guaranteeing a 2 putt. That equates to lower scores and indicates I am controlling the ball well.

You are getting at the same thing I am (and probably most others) when I say number of GIR, but I like your stat better, actually. For me, the number of putts is important because I want to look at it in relation to number of GIR. If I only hit 5 greens, I would expect to have a much lower than average number of putts. If I hit 15 greens, I know that I am going to have more putts, but I want to look at it and see how man putts relative to my average number of putts when hitting that number of greens, if that makes sense.
It does, but if you're missing a bunch of greens and fall outside your expected lower putt ratio for evaluation with that, you don't really know if it was your chipping or putting that caused it by just looking at number of putts do you?

Last edited:
GIR, closely followed by scrambling %.

GIR plus par saves.

The number one stat is GIR because that is going to tell me really how I played that day. However, I would be lying if I didn’t say I look at all my drive distancing, and my drives in fairway really will make me feel good when I have good stats there for the day.

Fairways.
2020 was plagued with tee box trouble for me. As my tee shots went, so did my score.

mid love this not to be the case in 2021, would much rather measure GIR, length of putts made, or something else.

Definitely fairways hit. My whole game is different if I'm driving well, if I've brought a case of the rights to the course then I'm not going to have a low round.

I'm not.much of a stats person these days. Most of the time I don't even know my score untill I sit down and total up the numbers.

Back in the day, I use to keep all kinds of stats. This included my short game handicap, (average) which included putts, chips, and pitches when missing a gir. Always wanted that number to be under 3. 2.5, and lower was considered a pretty good number.

Theses days, while on the course playing, I try to not have any 6s on my score card. I read about this in a book by some ancient swing guru from the early 1900s. He wrote that it was a good way to show the over all consistency in one's golf game.

I always like to see how many holes in a row I can reel off with out scoring 6 or more. My personal best is 42 consecutive holes, earlier this year.

GIR is the biggest indicator currently of my game. Since changing my swing it’s also been a challenge but looking for that to improve. My last round was my bast ever FIR.

GIR is my most important...Sometimes I take a wandering path (through bunkers, beaches, backyards), but if I get on in regulation - I’m ecstatic! It doesn’t matter how ugly it looked to get there so long as I made it

Did I have fun. it's not meant to be sarcastic at all. At the end of my round I always make sure I had fun and let everything else be what it is.

Did I have fun. it's not meant to be sarcastic at all. At the end of my round I always make sure I had fun and let everything else be what it is.
I was going to post the same thing. Having fun and being happy with myself after a round is the ultimate stat.

GIR. A good number of GIR tells me that my ball striking was good for the day off the tee and on approaches.

I think GIR more because that gives me more putting opportunities.

Would you rather be on the green putting from 53 feet or on the fringe, just off the green for an easy up and down with potential hole out?

GIR and how many penalty shots or punch outs I have.

This tells me if my driver is costing strokes

Back