Over Rotation of Hips

bgammill

Reaction score
Handicap
Andy, is there a drill that will help me not over rotate my hips in my back swing?

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

A good drill to stop the over rotating of the hips is to put a ball between your knees. Preferably a ball big enough to keep you normal stance. A plastic ball from Toys-R-Us or Target that is bigger than a basketball and smaller than a exercise ball. Find one with a logo or draw a face on it. Pinch the ball between your knees and try to keep the logo facing in front of you while you rotate the shoulders to the top of the golf swing.

Another thought is to keep your belt buckle facing forward while you rotate your upper body against your lower body when rotating the shoulders to the top of the golf swing.

Remember during the initial 2-3 feet of the takeaway the lower body should be VERY quiet and stable. Once the club starts working up to the top of the golf swing the hips will turn slightly. Usually when the hips rotate to early in the swing you will see your swing plane work to the inside. So limit your hip turn early and also pay attention to your swing plane during the takeaway.

Lance West
Certified Coach
GolfTEC-Minnetonka, MN

Nice info, Lance. Thank you. I suffer from this same problem/flaw.

I liked that reply Lance. Very good info that I will try out myself. Thanks!!

Thank you very much. I'll give these tips a shot. I have been working on this since I shot a video last week. I must say I feel almost like my hips aren't turning when the actually are in the mirror. I've also learned how much I need to work on some of my flexibility. I'll work on these and report back. Thanks you for your help. I would have sent the video along but no point as in it's clearly what's wrong, right now, with my swing

Andy, is there a drill that will help me not over rotate my hips in my back swing?

Stay off the Elvis videos.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Thanks for the tip! I tend to do this as well so I am going to work on this drill and see how it helps me

Back