Pace of play - what do you think?

What do you think about the time this/he was taking?

• That guy is what's wrong with golf.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I like playing all day in the sand, too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seems reasonable if he was just about ready to hit.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Seems a little long. Speed it up.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • If I'm ready, I'm going.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Everyone needs more time on some shots. Have a heart.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • You just wanted to show off your birdie.

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
I voted because you said you needed hard data

At a minimum he should have been ready to hit by the time you paced off your putt.

Yeah. I'm in a good mood, so I'm doing a lot of joking, but in a normal situation I'd expect someone to hit their shot about when I got to my ball or very shortly after. And then having seen my line, I'd gladly mark theirs if need be, toss it to them, and putt while they rake and grab their putter. I think that seems reasonable.

Yeah, that’s a little long. As was said, without context I would have thought you were playing by yourself.

I watched a few times to get a feel and imaginary vision of what you describe. Imo thats too long.
Is that what wrong with golf? hard to say because we really dont what what he as dealing with in this one specific circumstance.

I like how you went and did your thing and (playing mostly as single with strangers) is what I do often and cant tell you how many times I get looked at like i got two heads.

Does he do this on every hole, or was this an abnormal routine for him?

How long was your round?
About 3:45. Which isn't bad, considering we had to look for a phone, used the full allotted time to find one of my balls, and got caught up in a couple conversations with other groups and one of the maintenance guys.

I watched that video about ten times, I kept looking for this other guy, where was he, what was he doing, etc.
Yes I read what you posted he was wiggling his feet and playing in the sand.
But I need video of the guy to really feel the torturous time endured. I need to see what is really going on, like 4K tv in your lap.
On the flip side I think ready golf sometimes needs to be put in check also, I play with a few guys where 3 of them could be swinging at the same time, I mean take a 10 second patience pill.
To answer your question, time was excessive.

I watched that video about ten times, I kept looking for this other guy, where was he, what was he doing, etc.
Yes I read what you posted he was wiggling his feet and playing in the sand.
But I need video of the guy to really feel the torturous time endured. I need to see what is really going on, like 4K tv in your lap.
On the flip side I think ready golf sometimes needs to be put in check also, I play with a few guys where 3 of them could be swinging at the same time, I mean take a 10 second patience pill.
To answer your question, time was excessive.
Oh yeah, I've definitely seen it the other way. One guy that comes out with a couple of us every now and then rushes way too much for my taste. As much as I don't want to crouch there on my bad knee for however long that was behind my putt, I don't want you slinging balls into my field of view while I'm putting for the sake of timesaving, either.

Although, I'm kind of analyzing video on how quickly I putt after I approach it, and being fed up and trying to get it done before he actually finished ****ing around and hit the ball definitely made me go a little faster than normal. I like the stroke and the result though, so there might be a positive buried in that madness.

Oh yeah, I've definitely seen it the other way. One guy that comes out with a couple of us every now and then rushes way too much for my taste. As much as I don't want to crouch there on my bad knee for however long that was behind my putt, I don't want you slinging balls into my field of view while I'm putting for the sake of timesaving, either.

Although, I'm kind of analyzing video on how quickly I putt after I approach it, and being fed up and trying to get it done before he actually finished ****ing around and hit the ball definitely made me go a little faster than normal. I like the stroke and the result though, so there might be a positive buried in that madness.
Honestly when I first watched the video I misread and thought it was you you were talking about. When you left the screen I thought what the hell is taking him so long to line up and hit. I didn't realize you were waiting until the second time I watched it. That's way to long. No need to rush. But the second you paced it and he saw you knew he was going the ball should have been gone.

Ironically the best guy I play with is the slowest player. My dad and I are hacks that can get around a course in 3 1/2 hours if no one is in our way. My main playing partner is a 6-8 now and it can take us 5 if we don't get out early enough.

...Ironically the best guy I play with is the slowest player. My dad and I are hacks that can get around a course in 3 1/2 hours if no one is in our way. My main playing partner is a 6-8 now and it can take us 5 if we don't get out early enough.
5 hours as a twosome??? I'd be wrapping a club around his neck long before that, that's a torturously slow pace.

Just hit the dang ball 😂

I need a WTF is that guy doing on the green when his playing partner is trying to get up and down option.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I need a WTF is that guy doing on the green when his playing partner is trying to get up and down option.

You prefer he wait by the cart for the 1:20 bunker shot to happen before he started getting ready for his putt? That's not going to speed things up.

I was 30 ft north of the pin, almost off the green, and he was straight east of it and most certainly not ready when I walked across. Where should someone stand in that scenario?

Yup, too slow. If you had all that time to drive to the green, set up a camera, walk off your putt, and stand there and wait, and he STILL hasn't hit his shot ... you've already done all the waiting for that guy you should be required to do.

Nice putt, too.

He is way too slow He seemed to spend 30 seconds looking at something in his hands before hitting the putt. At least he made the putt and didn't have to do it again.

He is way too slow He seemed to spend 30 seconds looking at something in his hands before hitting the putt. At least he made the putt and didn't have to do it again.
:LOL: I can't tell if some of you are joking, or didn't read it. 'Cause one guy admitted he didn't get it.

He needs a talking to, that's ridiculous. By the way, how good was the sand shot?

:LOL: I can't tell if some of you are joking, or didn't read it. 'Cause one guy admitted he didn't get it.

You are right I didn't read it I was doing something else and half paying attention. The guy in the bunker is way too slow. It was a nice putt you made.

Definitely seems slow. although obviously we couldn't see what he was doing for all that time. My bigger complaint is that it was shot in portrait instead of landscape.;)

There is about 20 seconds of "what the hell is happening?", I can understand walking it off and getting behind the ball but there are some things(playing with your phone) that need to be cut out.

He needs a talking to, that's ridiculous. By the way, how good was the sand shot?
It was good. Got up and down. 4 or 5 feet. He's a good sand player. And he's had plenty of practice with them lately.

5 hours as a twosome??? I'd be wrapping a club around his neck long before that, that's a torturously slow pace.
Usually we get stuck with 2 others. And it's not all his fault. Weekends just take long here if you don't get out first thing in the morning. But he definitely is slow. A round that takes my dad or brother and I 3:15 takes us 3:45 if it's just two of us. I give him S*** everytime. He's gotten better. But he feels the need to perfectly line up every shot multiple times and does not play ready golf. He starts his routine once it is his turn.

There is about 20 seconds of "what the hell is happening?", I can understand walking it off and getting behind the ball but there are some things(playing with your phone) that need to be cut out.
haha Please read before voting. Apparently I should have set it up better.

We you a twosome or foursome?
2. We had a couple nice old guys with us for a little over a hole, but otherwise just us. Had to wait on a few holes, but never shared a tee with any other groups.

Last edited:
So if you have a 1:16 to kill please watch this video and take the poll.

Partner has become slow. Doesn't think he has. Today this was a perfect example, imo, that he has.

I'm moving and he's going to have to find a new regular partner and I don't want anyone else to suffer this madness, so I want this to really drive the point home that he needs to hurry the **** up a little.

So the setup is that he went in the right bunker. Off camera right. His cart arrived ahead of mine. When you see me start the camera and walk past he is out of his cart. When you see me start to pace off my putt, he's IN the bunker. I obviously have time to set up a camera, walk around to get an opposing view on my putt, pace it off, do the shot tracking on my phone, step back and read the putt, and am waiting on him. He's looking at me as he wiggles his feet for probably the fifteenth time, and I throw up my hands a little. Waiting on you. He puts his head down, and does I don't know what, and eventually (this is the really long pause part of the video) I say screw it and line up and putt. I also happen to drop it and he's threatening to hit into me as I go get it. lol

Ready golf and pace of play seem to be a BIG thing with people here, so back me up on this! Or not.

You are pretty correct. I did chuckle at the bold part of your statement. Not that you are wrong I just thought the wording was funny. I have been thinking about pace of play a bit. I want to ask the question, of you and everyone. What would you consider an appropriate time for a reasonable, unpressed,but steady round of golf?

This is not a bait, I am just curious to see the answer.

You prefer he wait by the cart for the 1:20 bunker shot to happen before he started getting ready for his putt? That's not going to speed things up.

I was 30 ft north of the pin, almost off the green, and he was straight east of it and most certainly not ready when I walked across. Where should someone stand in that scenario?
A lot of that 1:20 is you prancing around the green out of turn. Why are you blaming your partner for that?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Back