Passion in Professional Golf, Where Do You Draw the Line?

Ooo, tennis is a good one. They are super "passionate". That's why they bring backup rackets.
I'm talking about the Ken Rosewall and Rod Laver days haha

I agree with this 110%. The only thing that I think I could add would be to point out that the answer is right in the title: Professional Golfer.

Let me throw this one out for you. Are you a professional golfer because golf is your profession or as a professional golfer are you are supposed to act professionally. It may be one thing to be a member of a profession , but acting professionally is something different.

Sergio has crossed the line a few times. I can't think of anyone else on tour who I can think of that has really done it several times.

Jon Rahm is fine. Nothing wrong with his temperament IMO.

Ooo, tennis is a good one. They are super "passionate". That's why they bring backup rackets.
court violations 😬

I'll admit, when a guy 'calls for a bathroom break' and takes three rackets with him, only to return with one? I giggle.

Let's translate any of this to golf though...

1- Final stretch of holes, leader knocks one stiff on a par three, immediately goes over to his playing partner, gets in his face, and etc.
2- Same player on the next hole pulls his driver a bit off the tee, goes over to his caddie and gets into his face about not talking him out of driver etc.
3- Same player finishes his round and goes to the range with his caddie to work on things, punches him after not liking the distance calls on the day.

All of those things sound absolutely ridiculous for golf and I am personally glad they do. Showboating, unsportsmanlike conduct, aggression - all that BS is welcome to stay out of this game.

1) I would be all in on trash talk and giving the needle.
2) All ready happens jut not on camera for all the world to see, would it bother me if they put it on camera - no. I understand in the heat of competition tempers flare and words get said.
3) I am out on violence no matter the sport. IF the player wants to chew the caddie out after the round. That is between the caddie and the player not for me to judge. I gave a player a bad yardage in a Symetra tour event once and she chewed me out walking to the next tee. I deserved it. That was the last bad yardage I gave her.

Golf could use personalities and villans. Throwing clubs on tv is a bad idea I do think. If you want to talk to yourself and be visibly upset I think that's fine as well. To me it just shows you care. What bothers me is people who lose and and are laughing and joking and cutting up after the game with the opposing team. I get that doesn't apply to golf but in general my stance. If throwing or breaking clubs is common place then or should be addressed. What I don't want to see is a 150+ zombie's out there toting corporate lines in interviews.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m very anti eruption but I openly admit I’m not above dropping my club at the top of the finish a few times a season.

that headline! How bad does a relationship need to be that a punch to the face HELPS it 😂
Just on that side conversation, it wasn't necessarily a bad relationship, but MJ always bullied teammates, and by Kerr not backing down, gained MJ's permanent respect and trust.

Golf could use personalities and villans. Throwing clubs on tv is a bad idea I do think. If you want to talk to yourself and be visibly upset I think that's fine as well. To me it just shows you care. What bothers me is people who lose and and are laughing and joking and cutting up after the game with the opposing team. I get that doesn't apply to golf but in general my stance. If throwing or breaking clubs is common place then or should be addressed. What I don't want to see is a 150+ zombie's out there toting corporate lines in interviews.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What "The golf course looks good. My golf swing feels good. I like my chances" doesn't cut it during interviews.

I think the temper tantrums are pathetic.

come on slamming clubs tossing things, spitting or leaving the course worse than arrival. I think its a game where your actions should be approved by your parents. haha Would you be happy if your dad/mom saw you do that? would you reprimand your youngster for the action? come on its good to be passionate but the baby actions can go.

So the truly mercurial Aussie Nick Kyrgios is not to be considered :LOL:
I stopped watching tennis when Connors came in and that was due to his tantrums and my losing interest in the game in favor of golf

I'm old fashioned and remember when golf and tennis were for the most part played with tempers and outbursts tightly controlled. I would prefer the players not slam their clubs and get all bent out of shape too much. I allow myself one curse word per round and am currently 2 or 3 rounds ahead, so I can let loose a bit more next week :p

Back in the days of Jimmy Connor and McEnroe?

Ok, Jon Rahm is NOT what I would classify as a passionate golfer. He’s a spoiled rich brat throwing a temper tantrum and allowed to get away with it. And his on course antics, are justified or should I say rationalized by himself and the press as him being passionate. Grow the **** up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back in the days of Jimmy Connor and McEnroe?

That's when I stopped watching when those two started bratting up the courts, we're talking back in the days of Rosewall, Laver, Ashe

he's entitled to show his "passion" but can't get upset when people call him out. I will say that his and any other golfer showing emotion like that is 1000% better than what Bryson did berating the camera guy for doing his job.

I didn't see Rahm today...I am somewhere in between on this topic, though I lean to the side of "keep your cool". I can get heated in a competitive situation...but golf is a place where I keep that in check. I may have an internal mental meltdown that destroys my round, but I'm not a club thrower, etc.

That said, I like Rahm. I think at some point he will probably learn to keep that in check.

I remember when people moaned about Tiger showing emotion (though his was usually celebratory emotion)...and Jordan's wedge toss is generally fondly remembered. I am not comparing these things with any kind of tantrum...and I think guys need to keep that in check...but it's a still a competition and guys still get fired up, pissed off, pumped up, whatever. To liken to some of the earlier comments...you do see things in other sports...but the "crybabies" are generally frowned upon in other sports too.

As long as you’re not damaging the course or other people it’s fine. I‘ll forgive stuff like slamming clubs or smashing tee markers but that crosses the line imo. I much prefer watching players who show emotion - both positive and negative. I think holding golfers to higher standards than other pro athletes is a relic of the snooty traditionalist part of golf.

I get tired of the "fiery Spaniard" narrative that is used to excuse his and Sergio's behavior.

Even if it didn't annoy me for how it looks, I'd still think he was dumb because I refuse to believe it doesn't have a negative impact on his round and potentially other players.

In sports terms, "passionate" is often a cop-out because announcers/analysts don't want to call it what it really is. It's a euphemism for saying they're being overgrown babies and throwing temper tantrums like a 3-year old in a shopping cart who didn't get the candy they wanted.

"Passionate" is training hard, practicing a lot, constantly honing your craft and looking for any edge you can get over your competitors. It's not being unable to control your temper, throwing hissy fits and breaking things.

I also think there's a difference between showing some emotion during competition (nothing wrong with that) and having temper tantrums which set a bad example of sportsmanship. Like it or not, as a professional athlete you're a role model for the fans and viewers. That's part of the price you pay for the privilege of making millions of dollars for playing a game. Live up to it.

Let me throw this one out for you. Are you a professional golfer because golf is your profession or as a professional golfer are you are supposed to act professionally. It may be one thing to be a member of a profession , but acting professionally is something different.
This is true 100%. For me the definition of a golf professional leans more towards the latter definition - your skills and actions while golfing are what separate you from the rest of us who work for a living. Somewhat related (I think) would be the question as to why the PGA does not allow them to wear shorts. My answer - because they need to carry themselves as professional, and dress is part of that.
For the helmet slam on the sideline comparison, in team sports they have (or should have) the opportunity to "blow off steam" out of the camera's eye whereas golf is a single player sport and therefore the professional is always the focus. Professionals should know how to keep their emotions in check and set an example for those watching. Most of us can go out and hit a golf ball if we want to - not many of us have the opportunity to play football as easily.

If it's something that happens occasionally I'll deal with it. When it's a constant thing like we see with Rahmbone it's just obnoxious and an anger issue.

Heck, this is as old as Tommy Bolt, whose nickname was "Thunder"! Now that I think about it, it's even older, going back to Bobby Jones, and probably beyond that. In a fit of anger Jones once ripped up his scorecard, thus removing himself from the competition! He also once said, something like,"When you feel a poor golfer, and a fool to boot, what else can you do but throw the club away?"

And, of course, we've never heard a cuss word out of Tiger, now have we?

Is his on course behavior acceptable in professional golf?
Because he didn’t break any rules, apparently, his behavior is acceptable to the PGA. Sometimes, we all do things we aren’t proud of. I don’t follow the pros very closely so I don’t know if his behavior was a one time thing or something he does frequently. If it isn’t a common occurrence, I’d give him a pass. I just don’t have a lot of respect for someone known for losing his cool between the ropes.

Growing up in Central Florida I played baseball and as I got older it became VERY competitive. Like 25+ college and pro scouts per game during some tournaments competitive. When you’re playing on a high level of competition in any sport, both physical and mental skills are involved. Most physical mistakes can/will be overlooked by both the player and the team, but if it’s the same one multiple times, there will be issues. The same can not be said about mental mistakes. Most mental mistakes are unacceptable. Think of a baseball player striking out three times in one game, the pitcher getting pulled after loosing the lead to back to back home runs, the receiver missing multiple catches, or the QB throwing a pick six and then on his next throw having another interception. I’ve seen everyone of those “pro’s” take it out on the water cooler, bench, and equipment. Does it let out frustration? Sure does. Does it look bad? You bet it does. It happens. I get it. But the difference there is you have a team going through that struggle with you.

What you rarely see is the public berating of team mates when they make mental mistakes. When the receiver runs the wrong route, the lineman misses an assignment, the bunt coverage is wrong, or the base runner makes thrown out because he thought there were two outs and not one, you might see a confrontation between team mates but those are not the “norm.” In team sports the general rule of thumb is praise in public punish in private.

The only other sport that I can think of where a single player is playing against another in a non direct form would be bowling. If you watch them on TV they get pretty wound up when they’re on a hot streak and you can see it in they’re body language when they’re upset. It isn’t rare to see them get pissed off and have what some would call a temper tantrum.

My take, as long as you’re not screwing up the course, physically harming anyone, or cursing anyone out, you’re good.If you stick the green on an awesome shot and you feel like showing the Arnold flex (Schwarzenegger not Palmer) while chest bumping your caddie go for it. If you want to smash a club, I don’t care as long as you’re not tearing up the course. Snap a shaft over a knee? You just lost a club for a round. And if you’re worried about what the kids will think, you use these as teachable moments. We show kids how stupid they look and find a positive way to express our negative frustration. I enjoy yelling into a towel or throwing a crap ball as far as I can into a water hazard.

Just my two cents.

Back