Petite wife's 1st golf clubs. Help Please

Sean Purcell

Reaction score
Hi all.

My wife has suggested that she would like to take up golf with me, which is great. However she is a little on the shorter side.
5ft 1" (61"). I'm struggling to find much information regarding this size bracket. i have seen a few ladies petite half golf sets, or
some junior sets but i'm unsure of the sizing. I wonder would standard size ladies golf clubs be fine, or will she need petite and or junior clubs?

I cant get in touch with any golf outlets regarding this. for obvious reasons, so i wonder if anyone may have any information that may help me
with this little issue.

Thank you in advance

Sean

Last edited:
My wife is also 5'1" and has no problems with a standard size ladies set. If your wife has not played a lot, she probably has no preconceived ideas of clubs being too long or short. I would look into a used set or low price starter set first and then if she decides it's going to be a life long hobby then let her get her own nice set.

Why wife is 4'11" and she went the Junior Club route. It was more of a price thing for her she didnt really want to spend a lot on something she wasn't committed to.

Realistically, dont overthink it. Most womens sets are around 1" shorter in club length (36" 7 iron) and mid Cs for SW with a light shaft.

Wife is 4’11” and purchased a standard set of lady Pings, cut down by a couple of inches (as determined by one of our club pros).

I have met several women at local driving ranges that plays the PING Junior clubs, Prodi G model ( https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/juniors/prodi-g-irons). You can ever order one at a time through PGASS, other retailers and/or buy the set. You can call PGASS (or another authorized seller) and custom order lengths needed (The Prodi G's come in different lengths. (I recommend you do this if you consider these).

My wife is about 5'1 and played standard ladies clubs several years ago but she was very athletic -- I think that makes a difference with anyone when it comes to standard size/length clubs.

My wife is 4’11 1/2”. She has regular clubs and they are just fine.

I would go with the cobra fmax complete set. Super simple, light weight, very good.

also, nicely priced for a beginner that you don’t know how much they will actually play.

My wife is 5'0. She plays standard ladies Cobra King F6 irons and a F6 Driver.

I should have mentioned, my wife has Cleveland Altitudes (precursor to Launchers), a Cleveland 5w and Cobra driver. Forgiving and easy to hit are your w8fe’s friends, which means they are your friends.

Back