Peyton Manning - the next Drew Bledsoe?

Peyton Manning - the next Drew Bledsoe?

• He's put on IR & never sees the field again

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • He is declared ready to play & barring injury to Osweiler, never sees the field again

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • He is declared ready to play,starts & is yanked, never sees the field again

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • He is declared ready to play, starts & finishes the season as the Broncos QB

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Peyton who?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
his arm was NEVER what made him an all-time great. never. he's always had an average arm. it was always his mind and pre-snap judgement that made him great. that part of him is not gone. so again, what is your argument?

Not sure why you keep riding him. Fact is, Peyton has less than an average arm now, he's lost a step, and his durability sucks. A great mind doesn't offset all three of those facts in the NFL.

"the skills that made him one of the best all timers are gone

When I said "skills", I should have said throwing arm"

his arm was NEVER what made him an all-time great. never. he's always had an average arm. it was always his mind and pre-snap judgement that made him great. that part of him is not gone. so again, what is your argument?
I don't know what's going on. Payton us one of the smartest QBs ever. That is what made him great. He had a throwing arm that could execute what his mind saw. He doesn't have that arm anymore. He may be as smart as ever, but he doesn't have the arm to take advantage of what his mind sees. At least, not for the salary that he will ask for.

This thread confuses me. Bledsoe was badly injured mid-game and Brady came in and had very unexpected success the remainder of the season, based on his draft position and what a lot of media thought about his potential. Osweiler was a 2nd rounder a few years ago that a lot of people have been expecting to step up due to Manning's age and badly diminishing ability to play football. So I don't really think they're close at all.

Bledsoe is what came to mind when I was thinking of an established QB getting hurt and being replaced by someone sitting on the bench for years. I guess you can't draw a direct comparison, I was just trying to setup the poll questions instead of throwing them out there cold. Which one did you choose Russ?

Bledsoe was much younger at the time and had a few decent years left in him when he went to Dallas. So no I dont think this situation is really all that similar besides a QB getting injured and never getting the job back, but that happens all the time.

"the skills that made him one of the best all timers are gone

When I said "skills", I should have said throwing arm"

His arm went from slightly above average and very accurate to downright bad. Also, while he never had a ton of distance, he always had a very quick release, which helped him, and that's slowed down as well. His arm matched his game and his timing, and it doesn't anymore. All the pre-snap reads in the world can't help how bad his arm looked this year.

Oh, I figure Peyton finishes the season on the bench, and then signs with a team like Houston or Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever team that drafts a QB in the first round doesn't try to hook him and let the rookie get a year on the sidelines watching Peyton work and trying to see the field the way he does.

Oh, I figure Peyton finishes the season on the bench, and then signs with a team like Houston or Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever team that drafts a QB in the first round doesn't try to hook him and let the rookie get a year on the sidelines watching Peyton work and trying to see the field the way he does.
Houston maybe but why would Jags do that?

Houston maybe but why would Jags do that?

I guess I had it in my head that their QB situation wasn't settled, but Bortles has come along this year. Either way, there are some good quarterbacks hitting the draft this year, and I could see a team that drafts Cook or Hackenberg look to get Manning on the team as well to develop the new kid for a year.

Manning would best be served by going into coaching. Doubt he'd have to scuffle for a job ...

Back