golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
I love watching golf on TV. However , I've got to say, since the coming of LIV, watching the players in weekly PGA events puts me to sleep. Of course they're great players, but too many "name' players have made the switch to LIV. The guys that are left are not doing it for me.

What's LIV?

Golf on TV lost it's luster when Gary McCord wasn't on the Masters any more.
When Boom-Boom quit hitting womens clubs.
When Payne met his untimely demise.
When Lee Buck moved on from even the rocking chair tour.
When Nancy Lopez wasn't kicking tail and taking names any more.

I agree that the PGA Tour product on TV is downright awful, but I disagree that LIV has anything to do with it.

I used to sit down and watch as much as I could every Saturday/Sunday but I just can't do it anymore. Way too many commercials, too many TPC Snoozefest courses, ridiculous commentary etc etc. I'm becoming a guy who just watches the back 9 of the Majors and a handful of others.

Golf on TV lost it's luster when Gary McCord wasn't on the Masters any more.
When Boom-Boom quit hitting womens clubs.
When Payne met his untimely demise.
When Lee Buck moved on from even the rocking chair tour.
When Nancy Lopez wasn't kicking tail and taking names any more.
Oh boy, don't start with the "get off my lawn" comments so early in the thread😂😂

I agree that the PGA Tour product on TV is downright awful, but I disagree that LIV has anything to do with it.

I used to sit down and watch as much as I could every Saturday/Sunday but I just can't do it anymore. Way too many commercials, too many TPC Snoozefest courses, ridiculous commentary etc etc. I'm becoming a guy who just watches the back 9 of the Majors and a handful of others.

Sounds/feels very familiar

Now I thought it was the best score possible for a par 72 course....so much confusion:)

People say it is a bunch of different things, I went with obvious and very safe bet. 👌

I get the best score possible, 18 birdies and all that, but that seems to eliminate the possibility of making eagles and we don’t want to do that.

You are spot on, there is much confusion associated with those letters and I am not sure what they really mean.

It's the inundation of commercials that is killing me. Even if you record it on YTTV they will show a couple of shots then 2 commercials a couple of shots 2 commercials, etc. I think they figure if they keep showing only 2 or 3 commercials at a time you won't FF. I don't know if this is a YTTV or a GC thing. It wouldn't be so bad but it's all political news BS commercials. I'm so close to canceling cable because of the excessive commercials even on DVR. So yes LIV and no commercials have been a breath of fresh air.

For me the PGA season doesn't start til after the 1st of the year with the Hawaii swing. I'm not really drawn to this new schedule which starts almost right after the old season ends.

Just saw this thread - and it got me to thinking. From my recent viewing habits - your average, weekly, here we are again typical PGA tour events are so hum-drum. I’m not familiar with a lot of the players... and the “power game” of today leaves me uninspired. I really can’t relate to anything except their bunker games or putting. So.... if it’s not a major or something pretty big - it’s just the same ‘ol same ‘ol. We’ve seen it a thousand times before. Regular tour golf has fizzled for me over the last couple of years. I still love the game (and love playing)... but, I don’t watch nearly as much as I used to.

You must have missed Joel Dahmen’s near ace on a par 4 today!

Golf is golf. We kinda know what we sign up for when we hit the televisions “on” button. I can’t say I’m pining for the guys who left to go play LIV.

Golf, like all sports, is an endless conveyor belt of high quality players, with a relatively select group being a cut above and maintaining a level of longevity the others won’t.

The game stays the same, players come and go… I’ll still watch…. But I DO agree that the commercials are killing the flow of the broadcast.

Too many commercials.
Too few players that I care about.
Boring commentators.

It has gotten to the point that I only watch the Majors where there are alternative feeds to watch, like featured groups or coverage of certain holes. I prefer the commentators, and usually there are few if any commercials. That and I have watched a few of the LIV tournaments, but even they have their drawbacks.

I admit I PVR golf at this time of year to put me to sleep.

I feel like it is LIV related. When PGAT was all you had it was what it was. Then LIV came along and you started to get a glimpse of how much better it can be. After that, going back to a pedestrian PGAT broadcast became pretty painful.

There’s LPGA, Champions, and DP as well. I can’t really say it’s worth complaining about since nothing has really changed about TV golf except for the addition of another format in the past year. Football and commercials are far worse, soccer far better.

Never really minded seeing “unknown” golfers rising to the occasion. I don’t watch TV and pretend it owes me something.

There’s always the “off” button.

golf just doesn't make for "exciting" tv...it's not very often that i am captivated by golf. LIV, PGA or LPGA...granted, the LPGA will keep my attention longer than the PGA will. so far, LIV has been a good watch as well...if they ever get a "regular" tv deal with commercials and all that extra ****, that may change.

Back