PGA Tour and appearance fees

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone have any certified knowledge on this subject? The PGA Tour likes to promote that appearance fees are forbidden. Many Tour sponsors however utilize special event packages to hire pros to perform services which require them to play in their tournament. For instance...Bubba agrees to do a one day client outing for ABCD for a fee, simultaneously he agrees to play in ABCD's tournament. But, hohoho, that's not an appearance fee.

Might be forbidden but you always heard about Tiger getting paid to be somewhere. ?‍♂️

There's always ways around rules.

I'll agree to play in ABCD in exchange for doing a day outing for $500,000...That is a fact I know of and ABCD handed out many of these agreements.

I don’t think there is anyway for for the Tour to stop the corporate event payments.

This pay out is exactly why the Premier League is dead on arrival.....

If Rose is sponsored by Zurich , and they offer him an extra £1m if he plays in their event , is this appearance money? When Tiger was sponsored by Buick and Buick sponsored a number of events, did Tiger get an extra sponsorship for each event he played in? There is a subtle amount of appearance money paid in the PGA Tour, less obvious than the Chinese/Middle East tournaments, but it is money for turning up.

If Rose is sponsored by Zurich , and they offer him an extra £1m if he plays in their event , is this appearance money? When Tiger was sponsored by Buick and Buick sponsored a number of events, did Tiger get an extra sponsorship for each event he played in? There is a subtle amount of appearance money paid in the PGA Tour, less obvious than the Chinese/Middle East tournaments, but it is money for turning up.
Your examples are the obvious ones. The depth and breadth of the "one day client outings" for big fees in conjunction to appearing in the sponsors event are contracted with dozens and dozens of players.

Back