PING G Irons - THP Review

Thinking about making a trade for these. I know a new set will be released soon but I don't think it will change all that much. Anyone here play the G that has played the Apex CF16? Just curious on launch and forgiveness comparo?

I Game 588 Altitudes. Playing to a 9.1 cap right now so not a total hack. a couple months ago had a chance to take the Apex 16 and Ping G out to the range thinking it was smaller iron switch time.

The G was much easier to navigate than the Apex. I lost a solid 30 yds when I mishit the Apex. The G maybe 5-10 yds. I stuck with my Altitudes cause there were shots I didn't quite catch well and the ball still made the target green or just off.

If it were between G's or Apexes I'd go G if you need some help with irons. The G's launched much higher too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the price drop on the G's I won't lose my butt. Stuck between G and i200.

Traded in my used backup set for some used G's with graphite for backup. They get their first chance tomorrow.

They are easily the best looking G series iron ever made. There were a few times I had a set of i25 and the G on the range at the same time and picked these up thinking they were the i.

Biggest difference will be forgiveness/feel/launch between the two. Offset will be higher in the short irons with the G. Both are great.

I was at the same decision point, and ended up going with the i200s after getting some course time with them. That being said, I'd have no issue gaming the Gs if I'd gone that way.

They are easily the best looking G series iron ever made. There were a few times I had a set of i25 and the G on the range at the same time and picked these up thinking they were the i.

Biggest difference will be forgiveness/feel/launch between the two. Offset will be higher in the short irons with the G. Both are great.
No doubt they are the best looking G. I probably should have been playing the previous model but couldn't even consider Gs in the past with the lack of ferrule.

Lofts look pretty similar with the G and CF16. I also had no clue they did a power spec in the G. Thought that was exclusive to the i200. I really need to hit these side by side with the CF16. Those are the better looking, imo, with the more compact head and satin finish but if the G are more consistent...

I hit a decent size bucket of the G iron today along with my G15 and really enjoyed the G. I hit the AWT R first and then Nippon 105 Tour S 7 irons black dot. I thought the Nippon was a bit more stable and maintained ok distance for me. I usually pull 7 iron when 145-150 yards out. I don't know if these were really all that much longer than G15, but expect they are more forgiving and LOOK SO MUCH BETTER!

I plan to end up buying either the G or G400 when it comes out and will go through a real fitting when buying. Based off my "self fitting" to date I like the G with the Nippon S probably soft stepped.

Dave

Went with my friend to get new irons and he went with the G AWT Stiff. His currents irons are super old CBs from his dad that I don’t even know the brand and model. He gained 2 full clubs in distance! It’s amazing the tech jump in irons over the last 10-15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally Necrobumping an old thread, but traded with a friend for a set of these about a month ago. Truly loving them thus far. Played a 204 yard par 3 up hill today, put my 4 iron to 6 feet and made a birdie on a hole where I wouldn't have been disappointed with bogey. Also put a 6 iron from 170 to about 8" for a kick in birdie. Irons have so much forgiveness built in, yet don't look too hideous behind the ball. Also, love the stock AWT (Nippon) shafts, as I'm hitting irons higher than I ever have, yet without ballooning.

Super happy with these, so much so, that I'm pretty certain my next iron purchase will be another "G" series offering maybe when the next iteration releases.

Jaymo37;n8903852 said:
Totally Necrobumping an old thread, but traded with a friend for a set of these about a month ago. Truly loving them thus far. Played a 204 yard par 3 up hill today, put my 4 iron to 6 feet and made a birdie on a hole where I wouldn't have been disappointed with bogey. Also put a 6 iron from 170 to about 8" for a kick in birdie. Irons have so much forgiveness built in, yet don't look too hideous behind the ball. Also, love the stock AWT (Nippon) shafts, as I'm hitting irons higher than I ever have, yet without ballooning.

Super happy with these, so much so, that I'm pretty certain my next iron purchase will be another "G" series offering maybe when the next iteration releases.

They’re a really great iron set. And I think the G400/410 took what was great about these and refined them more.

Can anyone compare the forgiveness of these vs the original Ping Rapture irons? Currently deciding between the two.

Great irons. I played the G-series for a couple of years then got a little more consistent with ballstriking and moved on to Apex19 last year. I love the Apex, and decided last week to try graphite shafts. Passed the Apex on to my son, and I ordered new Apex 4i-PW with Catalyst shafts from Callaway with a $200 trade-in credit for the Ping G's.

So I decided to take the Pings out for a final round last weekend before boxing them up and shipping them out.

Dagnabbit. I shot my best round of the year.

They're not in the box yet...

Back