Ping G425 Hybrids

Ha - maybe a couple of decades ago.

7H is about 150, 6H is about 160. My swing speed is on the border of regular and stiff, and depending on the application I go either way. I don't like the way the regular tensei orange feels, the stiff is a bit heavier and I feel like I have a better sense of where the head is.

I had to order them because it is rare to see stiff shaft in a high-loft hybrid. But so far it is working for me. First round with them today and they did what I needed. I'm in a stretch where I'm hitting headcover clubs and wedges well, my irons are good on the range, less good on the course. About time for another lesson and tweak a few more things. But today I had about 125y in and choked down on the 7H and did a 3/4 swing. Hit the green and stopped on one hop. On another hole I had a full 7H hit, bounce about 6" sideways and stop. That's what has sold me on them, they spin as good or better than my irons. But as always, ymmv.

got it. I’d say your yardage is firmly in R flex land but everyone is different when it comes to feel and flex. If you have a shorter backswing and quick transition S would probably work.

Glad they seem to be working for you. I’ve tried playing high lofted hybrids over the year but they Never seem to cut it for me. I’ll be say 150 yds out and would catch a 6h and it would be on point one shot and the next airmail the green 20-25 yds. Also I use my 6i to punch under trees and could never keep a hybrid low enough.

I am firmly standing by my King Tours from my Morgan Cup bag. These hybrids running up to a 7H have me curious about bagging a set from 2H-7H then finding my next iron in some type of chunky iron just to compare the ultimate forgiveness bag vs a players iron type setup. It would be expensive but I think a lot of fun in the long run.

I am firmly standing by my King Tours from my Morgan Cup bag. These hybrids running up to a 7H have me curious about bagging a set from 2H-7H then finding my next iron in some type of chunky iron just to compare the ultimate forgiveness bag vs a players iron type setup. It would be expensive but I think a lot of fun in the long run.

Got ya covered. Since this experiment seems to be working out the next step would be a G425 9i, then either PW and UW or Glide 3.0. I'm hitting my wedges well and love my Glide 3.0 Eye2s. I can't really hit a 2H, instead have a 5W and then 4H. So the plan is:

4H - 21* (set one strong)
5H - 25* (set one strong)
6H - 30* (standard setting)
7H - 35* (set one weak)

need to get:
9i - 39.5*
PW - 44.5* (G425) or 45* (Glide 3.0 bent one strong - also drops some bounce)
UW - 49.5* (G425) or 50* (Glide 3.0 stock)

Luckily I've already done most of the heavy spending. :p

I've not spent anything yet but I'm thinking 2-7H then a G425 8 in a retrospec loft through UW with CBX2 54 and 58 with Taylormade Mini Driver and putter. I could score with this setup.

got it. I’d say your yardage is firmly in R flex land but everyone is different when it comes to feel and flex. If you have a shorter backswing and quick transition S would probably work.

Glad they seem to be working for you. I’ve tried playing high lofted hybrids over the year but they Never seem to cut it for me. I’ll be say 150 yds out and would catch a 6h and it would be on point one shot and the next airmail the green 20-25 yds. Also I use my 6i to punch under trees and could never keep a hybrid low enough.

Today I did a couple of punch outs, used 4H and 5H to good effect. I can keep those low if I play it back in my stance and forward press. What is nice is that a toe hit will still go a decent distance on the hybrid where with an iron I'm screwed. Since toe is my miss, help there is a big help.

I've not spent anything yet but I'm thinking 2-7H then a G425 8 in a retrospec loft through UW with CBX2 54 and 58 with Taylormade Mini Driver and putter. I could score with this setup.

I wonder if retrospect loft increases bounce.

Hitting a hybrid pure isn't nearly as satisfying as hitting a forged iron pure. But hitting off the toe and ending up green side instead of 10-20 yards short is satisfying from a scoring perspective (y)

The question I ask myself about playing hybrids that far into my bag (I play a 24 Radspeed now) even as good as the Ping and Cobra are, why not play the T-Rails from Cobra through the bag?

Today I did a couple of punch outs, used 4H and 5H to good effect. I can keep those low if I play it back in my stance and forward press. What is nice is that a toe hit will still go a decent distance on the hybrid where with an iron I'm screwed. Since toe is my miss, help there is a big help.

I agree with this.

Going 5h - my iBlade 5i & me have this love / hate thing ongoing. Not that previous G series 5h have faired any better.....

Maybe, just maybe it's me.....

Regardless - G425 5 26* - TSPX Lin-Q M40x 100 f4 is going in the bag

The question I ask myself about playing hybrids that far into my bag (I play a 24 Radspeed now) even as good as the Ping and Cobra are, why not play the T-Rails from Cobra through the bag?

yeah, I’ve looked at that. I have an F9 3H that has been good to me most of the time, and I’m a rail-believer. That 9i likely would gap with my hybrids as well. One thing you lose is adjustability which may or may not be an issue.

I wonder if retrospect loft increases bounce.

Hitting a hybrid pure isn't nearly as satisfying as hitting a forged iron pure. But hitting off the toe and ending up green side instead of 10-20 yards short is satisfying from a scoring perspective (y)

I once had the dreaded toe hits - so much that the edge of my irons past the grooves were worn - then I improved my club path and started turning /releasing my trail shoulder on the downswing from the top while sequencing - so nice to get rid of that issue so I could move on to my next issue. :ROFLMAO: And I agree, these hybrids are great out of the dirt, under trees, and will go far off poor and difficult lies. It's my "go to" under trees and on dirt.

if I get too quick on transition I don’t get the club inside enough and I don’t cover with my chest - and it gets all toey. It’s getting there though - certainly much better than a month or two ago. About time for another lesson to as you say, move to the next issue. Always something more to work on…

if I get too quick on transition I don’t get the club inside enough and I don’t cover with my chest - and it gets all toey. It’s getting there though - certainly much better than a month or two ago. About time for another lesson to as you say, move to the next issue. Always something more to work on…

Look at the Nelly Korda Thread.

Look at the Nelly Korda Thread.

If you mean this one (https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/nelly-korda-swing.8932566/) yeah, that is great especially the slow-motion one (I found one for Min Jee Lee as well that is instructive). The key takeaway for me is how her shoulders stay over the ball as her downswing starts and hips move. My tendency is to pull the upper body forward, that pulls the club across and it is toe strike city. My coach says, "cover the ball", I think "stay behind the ball". My body listens some of the time...

Got a g425 6h in this week to fool around with. I’m looking for a club to hit a nice high 165-170 yd all carry shot into par 3’s and longer par 4’s.

With 5i I never seem to launch it high enough And my current shorty 26* at -1” plays really light so I tend to pull hook it.

I’ve never really had any luck with 28-30* hybrids. Normally I’d nuke one 20-25 yds further than I’d expect to hit it.

This one those seems pretty good. Very consistent . Settled into the std loftflat setting which helped take the lefts out.

used it on 3 approach shots and went 3/3 GIR.
So far so good.

Pulled the trigger on a G425 5h today. Gave me the 170-ish distance I’m looking for as the next club longer than my 6i. Adjustability is only a plus. Nice ball flight with the occasional draw. I really like my current G 4h, but the 425 is longer and more forgiving.

Now to find the club that’s a little longer than my current 4h and shorter than my 5W. Could be the 425 4h, could be a 7W.

Pulled the trigger on a G425 5h today. Gave me the 170-ish distance I’m looking for as the next club longer than my 6i. Adjustability is only a plus. Nice ball flight with the occasional draw. I really like my current G 4h, but the 425 is longer and more forgiving.

Now to find the club that’s a little longer than my current 4h and shorter than my 5W. Could be the 425 4h, could be a 7W.
With all the tuning flexibility a G425 4H or 3H might do the trick? I picked up a G425 4H last month to slot between my 5i and 5W. Been doing the job OK in the short time I've had it. Based upon your post our numbers aren't hugely different. Per Garmin Golf I get 208 yards from my 5W and 177 from my 5i. So far I'm averaging 192 yards with that G425 4H lofted down to 21*. I only have space for one club in that gap right now so I have to be OK with them being a bit more spaced than I'd like if I want to maintain a little tighter gaps in my scoring clubs.

Last edited:
With all the tuning flexibility a G425 4H or 3H might do the trick? I picked up a G425 4H last month to slot between my 5i and 5W. Been doing the job OK in the short time I've had it. Based upon your post our numbers aren't hugely different. Per Garmin Golf I get 208 yards from my 5W and 177 from my 5i. So far I'm averaging 192 yards with that G425 4H lofted down to 21*. I only have space for one club in that gap right now so I have to be OK with them being a bit more spaced than I'd like if I want to maintain a little tighter gaps in my scoring clubs.

Thanks. Numbers sound pretty close. First impression was to get the 425 4h, which also works well as my punch-out club. But may test a 7W because they have worked well in my bag in the past. You may have helped me put a thumb on the hybrid side of the scale.

Stopped into GG last night for a new glove, noticed they had some G425 hybrids on the used rack, including a 6 and 7. Grabbed the 6 and hit about a half dozen balls. Alta regular shaft

Holy schinikies, if I had the cash I’d have walked out with it. Nice high draws for the most part, hit the yardage gap I wanted perfectly.

For you folks who have these in the bag:

Do you find they’re draw biased? And how would you describe the sound? It was interesting to me. I thought muted, almost dull, but solid and powerful at the same time.

Stopped into GG last night for a new glove, noticed they had some G425 hybrids on the used rack, including a 6 and 7. Grabbed the 6 and hit about a half dozen balls. Alta regular shaft

Holy schinikies, if I had the cash I’d have walked out with it. Nice high draws for the most part, hit the yardage gap I wanted perfectly.

Do you find they’re draw biased? And how would you describe the sound? It was interesting to me. I thought muted, almost dull, but solid and powerful at the same time.
I haven't found them any more draw biased than most other hybrids for me, and as someone who plays pretty flat, what there is can be adjusted out for me pretty easily.

Yeah, the sound is pretty unique. It's all individual preference. I don't love the sound but don't mind the actual feel off the face. Kind of the opposite of the TSi3 hybrid for me. It sounds pretty good, and feels like 🐕 💩. Lol

I haven't found them any more draw biased than most other hybrids for me, and as someone who plays pretty flat, what there is can be adjusted out for me pretty easily.

Yeah, the sound is pretty unique. It's all individual preference. I don't love the sound but don't mind the actual feel off the face. Kind of the opposite of the TSi3 hybrid for me. It sounds pretty good, and feels like 🐕 💩. Lol
It felt nice, no issues there, but the sound was definitely different. Maybe the Ping sound is an acquired taste. I played a G20 driver for years until the shaft broke, and I loved that when I really got hold of one it sounded like something big just exploded.

It felt nice, no issues there, but the sound was definitely different. Maybe the Ping sound is an acquired taste. I played a G20 driver for years until the shaft broke, and I loved that when I really got hold of one it sounded like something big just exploded.
It's definitely different enough to be a bit of an acquired taste. Brings out a lot of love it/hate it in people. In their hybrid I don't find it distracting enough to overtake it's performance value for me. It does what I want it to better than most and looks pretty good.

Not draw biased for me, which is a refreshing change from my experience with other hybrids. I keep reminding myself when I pull this out that I don’t have to send it out right to compensate - just play it straight.

I do not find them draw-biased at all - I find them easier to cut or go straight. If a draw, it's slight.

Back