Ping Putter Experts help

Cobb

Reaction score
Handicap
Picked up a Ping putter today at a garage sale. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the putter like year made etc etc. It's a copper colored Anser 4 with a straight non-rifled shaft. Did a quick search and didn't come up with anything relevant.
IMG_20130818_194354_065.jpg
IMG_20130818_194331_656.jpg

IMG_20130818_194415_770.jpg

IMG_20130818_203519_529.jpg

Last edited:
I think HoosierGolfer would be the dude to ask. I'm sure he will see this or send him a PM. There are a few of those on eBay as well but I didn't see any with the information you wanted.

I think HoosierGolfer would be the dude to ask. I'm sure he will see this or send him a PM. There are a few of those on eBay as well but I didn't see any with the information you wanted.

Thanks for the info, just sent him a PM about this.

Looks for sure like a beryllium copper Anser 4. The 85068 zip code was used from 1973 to 2000. At first looking at the grip, made me think that this could be a late 70's putter, but the grip appears to be a replacement because there is no white ring around the top and no collar. That putter would have come as standard with the Pingman grip with the little "circle R" on it. My guess would be that this is a early to mid 1980's putter.

Can't make out the patent number though in the pictures and that would help date it.

Looks for sure like a beryllium copper Anser 4. The 85068 zip code was used from 1973 to 2000. At first looking at the grip, made me think that this could be a late 70's putter, but the grip appears to be a replacement because there is no white ring around the top and no collar. That putter would have come as standard with the Pingman grip with the little "circle R" on it. My guess would be that this is a early to mid 1980's putter.

Can't make out the patent number though in the pictures and that would help date it.

Thanks for the info! The grip is a "Traction Action" golf pride grip. The patent # is... 4.527.799.

Thanks for the info! The grip is a "Traction Action" golf pride grip. The patent # is... 4.527.799.

That is a much later Pat number than I would have guessed. That would make it mid to late 1990's.

That is a much later Pat number than I would have guessed. That would make it mid to late 1990's.
Wow I was expecting a little older as well. Thanks again for all the info!

Now the question is, to clean it up, or keep it dark...

Now the question is, to clean it up, or keep it dark...

Keep it dark I say on copper heads, but it is your putter after all. Either way it is a great classic putter.

Keep it dark I say on copper heads, but it is your putter after all. Either way it is a great classic putter.

Ya that's what I've decided to do for now. Need to put a different grip on it though and will hopefully get that done tonight. I want to put a superstoke on it but it almost doesn't seem right lol.

This is the next to last of the BeCU Anser lines. The last one was the Anser 5, so this is probably a mid-late 1990s putter. This one will be worth ~$80.

The Holy Grail of the BeCu Pings is the face balanced Anser5. Those still easily fetch over $100.

Back