Pitching practice inside?

oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
Alright, I might just be going through withdrawal at being out of golf for almost 2 months up here where the snow is flying, but I've come up with a way to practice my short game during winter. I live in an apartment with carpets. I putt all the time, but wanted a way to do something with my clubs that kept me feeling them regularly and want input on whether I've crossed into the 'get some help' zone. I have a hall about 20 feet long going from my spare room into the kitchen. I have set up a yoga matt hanging in the doorway to the kitchen, and on the matt I've put about 15 pieces of tape as aim points. I then stand in my back room with some soft practice balls and my 3 wedges. Then I'll practice pitching with each wedge trying to hit different pieces of tape. Do I think this will help my game much? Maybe it will give me a better feel with my wedges when I get back on the course. My 55° and 60° are new, and I've already noticed I'm much more accurate with my 50° (which is my normal pitching club). Maybe if I practice with the other 2 a lot I will be more confident using them come spring. Mainly I just want to play with my golf clubs while it's snowing out.

So, any way this is a good practice idea? Or have I gone bye-bye? Any other ideas for indoor practice?

Sounds like good practice to me. Where you'll go bye-bye, is when you're beating opponent(s) by a half dozen strokes because of your current practice sessions. Keep it up, oiler3535.

As for me, no indoor practice whatsoever. I keep maintenance of our local ice rink, so shoveling is keeping my arms from atrophy. lol Just 3 months away from heading back out on the course. Enjoy the season, keep well. L8R

Seems reasonable to me. The Dec Golf Digest had some good drills to work on inside this winter but some of them require a bit of space.

I chip with some Pro v1's down the hallway in my apartment I put a water bottle down and chip to it. I am not hitting flops or anything so that is why I stick with real balls. It has really helped my chipping the few times I have been able to sneak out. The more reps the better you will get! I like your practice of being very specific that is key! Keep it up and good luck!

I used to be able to do that in my apartment, as well as practicing putting...then I got a cat....

IMG00047-20110404-1230.jpg

That is a great idea! I think I might have to use it.

Nice idea..I do something similar. I have a mat in my basement and chip to a mug, and somtimes I put an old matress up in front of it and hit foam balls into it. (I can swing up to my 3 wood)

Great for your stroke but the foam practice balls are a world apart from your Pentas...

I used to be able to do that in my apartment, as well as practicing putting...then I got a cat....

IMG00047-20110404-1230.jpg
Lol, I have 2! I have to start in secret or they will sit right where I want to hit from. They are good at hearing me pull out a club, plus I put on my golf shoes to practice and they hear me do that too. Once I start hitting they are fine b/c they sit under the yoga mat and attack the balls after they hit and land. It's annoyingly cute. Just means I have to search for some of the balls after I hit them all.

Try pitching pennies. Seriously. Set up with your hands in a forward press with club on it's edge, not the bounce. Draw the club back a short distance with no wrist cock, and try and pitch the penny with your hands going through ahead of the shaft and club head. Do not break/release your hands. This promotes clipping the ball cleanly and taking the bounce off the club. You'll be amazed how difficult it can be to get that leading edge under the penny. If the bounce hits first you'll go over it.

Kevin

Only thing to look out for is developing bad or lazy habits. I am trying to focus on technique over qty of balls hit. Years past I hit tons of balls inside and once the season started I had to undo some things I picked up.

Lol, I have 2! I have to start in secret or they will sit right where I want to hit from. They are good at hearing me pull out a club, plus I put on my golf shoes to practice and they hear me do that too. Once I start hitting they are fine b/c they sit under the yoga mat and attack the balls after they hit and land. It's annoyingly cute. Just means I have to search for some of the balls after I hit them all.

Make sure you get them all...a stray golf ball rolling around on the kitchen floor and hitting the wall WILL wake you up...

My 20 month old son forses me to chip and put all the time in side. he even makes me hold the club the correct way. if i dont feel like playing i use one hand and just hit balls around me grabs my hand and puts it on the grip and makes me use 2 hands cute and annoying some times

Haha, my cat "helps" me with my practice putting! My Method is getting claw marks.

I like it! I use my yoga mat as a putting green on my nasty hardwood floors. Yoga mats are the secret weapon in a golfer's arsenal. Also try chipping onto an office chair. Move the chair to different distances and get the balls to stop on the seat.

I like it! I use my yoga mat as a putting green on my nasty hardwood floors. Yoga mats are the secret weapon in a golfer's arsenal. Also try chipping onto an office chair. Move the chair to different distances and get the balls to stop on the seat.

I like that idea. I have a computer chair on wheels I could move up and down the hall. THanks!

Indoor practice is good. I use those Almost Golf balls and they work exceptionally well. Good feed back on miss hits on sound and feel. I use them in my back yard and have skulled a shot or two right into the window. They just bounce right off. Of course its not ideal for putting :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I would practice my putting but my dog keeps chewing my balls...

that doesn't sound quite right..:bulgy-eyes:

I practice really short chip shots and also do some putting inside just on the carpet with no special setup but occasionally, mostly about this time of year, I will hang a backpack or something similar sized on the back of a chair or I will use a laundry basket and hit baby pitch/lob/flop shots into it from across the room with everything from a LW to a 9 iron. It requires some setup, a few pillows and/or some sofa cushions placed carefully as a back stop to pull this off without breaking anything.

Back