Pittsburgh, PA Public Courses?

livegolf

Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
Looks like a friend and I are going to head to Pittsburgh over Memorial Day weekend to check out a new stadium and watch the Pirates play.

We are looking to play a couple courses while there, but I'm not familiar the golf scene in the area. Looks like everything is spread out.

I know many will probably suggest Olde Stonewall as that is where an event is at, but I'd rather not pay that much and prefer something on the south or east side of town as we might be able to hit it up to/from Pittsburgh from VA. Price range is $50 to $100. Ideas? Thanks!

Is Totteridge south of Pittsburgh? I've heard very good things of it if it's close enough for you guys to play.

Is Totteridge south of Pittsburgh? I've heard very good things of it if it's close enough for you guys to play.

Hey! Thanks for the recommendation. I missed that one looking around.

Looks like the right spot and the right price. Pictures look nice too.

Hey! Thanks for the recommendation. I missed that one looking around.

Looks like the right spot and the right price. Pictures look nice too.

One of my friends played there last season and can't say enough good things about it. Glad you're able to make it there and have fun!

Mystic Rock is south and on the way up from VA. Its a Pete Dye course and considered one of the best in the state but is a bit pricey.

The Madison Club is a nice, well maintained and affordable track but you ll need GPS to get there as its back in the cut a bit. One of my favorites.

Cedarbrook is an easily accessible 36 hole facility that's very affordable and well maintained with two real good layouts.

If you sign up for boxgroove.com, you can get access to some really nice private courses like Edgewood CC or Nevillewood CC.

Toms Run is another highly rated track about 45 min to the east of town that is really worth a play as well.

I'll try to think of some others, but those are the best I have off the top of my head

I second Totteridge as well

Mystic Rock is south and on the way up from VA. Its a Pete Dye course and considered one of the best in the state but is a bit pricey.

The Madison Club is a nice, well maintained and affordable track but you ll need GPS to get there as its back in the cut a bit. One of my favorites.

Cedarbrook is an easily accessible 36 hole facility that's very affordable and well maintained with two real good layouts.

If you sign up for boxgroove.com, you can get access to some really nice private courses like Edgewood CC or Nevillewood CC.

Toms Run is another highly rated track about 45 min to the east of town that is really worth a play as well.

I'll try to think of some others, but those are the best I have off the top of my head

Some good looking stuff there, thanks eagle!

prefer something on the south or east side of town as we might be able to hit it up to/from Pittsburgh from VA. Price range is $50 to $100. Ideas? Thanks!

What route are you taking from Hoo-ville to the burgh?

If you are looking for anymore courses you should look at Birdsfoot its about 40 min east of Pittsburgh and was in better shape the Totteridge was last year. Totteridge was doing some work to there bunkers last summer and I do not know if they have fixed them yet I have not played there this year.

If you are looking for anymore courses you should look at Birdsfoot its about 40 min east of Pittsburgh and was in better shape the Totteridge was last year. Totteridge was doing some work to there bunkers last summer and I do not know if they have fixed them yet I have not played there this year.

Good call. Another of my favorites, although it is a bit more north than east. Would be a good option for the invitational folks too

What route are you taking from Hoo-ville to the burgh?

I'm not sure, but I'm looking to avoid the PA turnpike. Most likely one way we are going to cut through WV on the way back and play Stonewall.

Alright! I'll check it out.

I'm not sure, but I'm looking to avoid the PA turnpike. Most likely one way we are going to cut through WV on the way back and play Stonewall.

Depending on route and schedule there is a Jack Nicklaus course at Rocky Gap state park near Cumberland and a Hale Irwin course at Wisp. Both should be less than a Benjamin.

Just played birdsfoot today and the course was in good shape and the greens were rolling. Also there's another course about 30 minutes west of Pittsburgh called quicksilver that's a good track.

Just an update...we have decided to stay by the airport and get to/from the Pittsburgh area via I-79. We are going to hit up Quicksilver and Cranberry Highlands while there.

My original thought was that we were taking I-70 which opens up the courses on the east side of town. I'll save those for another trip.

PS - Any places you'd recommend to eat while there?

You're not far from Olde Stonewall over that way.

Quaker Steak and Lube is good wings. Most dive bars around there have excellent wings as well. Huge whole wings.

Primanti's obviously. Pittsburgh legend.

My friend had a family emergency so I could do whatever. Played Cranberry Highlands this morning and Stonewall this afternoon. Beautifully maintained courses! A stretch of about 6 insanley tough holes on the back at Olde Stonewall

Back