Play Away with Clubcorp Review

Headed to Austin this weekend to play at Lakeway CC and eat at the University of Texas club. I have been very happy with this program but the difficulty in getting morning tee times is a deal breaker for me. I have 7 months left before I can cancel my membership so I am going to make the most of it while I can.

Headed to Austin this weekend to play at Lakeway CC and eat at the University of Texas club. I have been very happy with this program but the difficulty in getting morning tee times is a deal breaker for me. I have 7 months left before I can cancel my membership so I am going to make the most of it while I can.

How many rounds have you got in so far on the deal?

How many rounds have you got in so far on the deal?

10-12 rounds and counting in 5 months. It has been said before but the star of this show is the food!!

Great write-up and constant review. I appreciate the humor woven into the posts.

It’s two rounds of golf and two meals a month correct?

Can I use the dining at the club within 100 miles? I just can’t play the golf course correct?

Great write-up and constant review. I appreciate the humor woven into the posts.

Can I use the dining at the club within 100 miles? I just can’t play the golf course correct?
The dining and golf are limited to 100 miles from your residence. I am glad you like my review @OITW.

Correct but that is for EACH course and restaurant. You could play and eat every day somewhere different if you tried hard enough.

The dining and golf are limited to 100 miles from your residence. I am glad you like my review @OITW.

Correct but that is for EACH course and restaurant. You could play and eat every day somewhere different if you tried hard enough.
WHOA! that is a great deal

We recently joined Club Corp too, but haven't started playing guest course. Kinda hard to pick when there are SO MANY in Texas (good problem to have). If anyone knows the best CC course in Houston, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio that would be super helpful to plan some weekends!

After being stuck at home and letting our Play Away membership sit idle for months we decided to get out of the house and head up to Austin to use our benefits. I am cancelling my membership in July so I have decided to use it a few more times before then. The sole reason for me cancelling is not being able to play golf in the morning. ClubCorp states clearly in the rules that golf is afternoon only on weekends but every single time I have tried to get a weekday morning tee time its like pulling teeth. The course books the tee times not ClubCorp and they keep the early tee times for the members. My wife does not play golf but she rides with me in the cart when we are out of town. These trips are not only for me so if I cant play until noon or later that is a whole day of our vacation dedicated to a round of golf. If I was able to play first thing in the morning it allows us to do something else in the afternoon and evening. So this weekend we used the food benefits only and I paid for a round of golf out of pocket. That defeats the purpose of the Play Away program but we are going to use it anyway world be damned.

20200606_185542.jpg

I have said many times that the food is the real star of the Play Away program and this weekend did not disappoint. These crab cakes taste better than they look if you can believe it.

20200606_192002.jpg

The butter that tops the filet mignon has a cinnamon taste that I have not had anywhere else. A bite combined with a roasted red pepper is divine. Lobster mac and cheese as a side dish makes a perfect meal.

20200606_195013.jpg

As you can see it is a great value. We tip based on the pre discount amount but it is still a fantastic deal.

I played a beautiful 9 hole course right on the north shore of lake Travis called Venture Point. You could ride to the heart of Austin in five minutes with a boat but it takes close to an hour by car. The first holes are very tight but it opens up on the last few holes enough to hit driver.

20200607_081402.jpg

This is the first hole that I hit driver on and my Mavrik bombed one right down the middle.

20200607_081801.jpg

My wife enjoys the scenery and points out a lot of stuff that I would miss being focused on golf.

20200607_081443.jpg

20200607_105043.jpg

These little guys were resting all around us but momma was never too far away.

This was a great way to get out of the house and break up the monotony of Covid. The Play Away program has been fun and we were using it plenty before the pandemic but the lack of morning golf is a deal breaker unfortunately. We are planning a trip to Waco and then San Antonio to finish it off with a bang. I would recommend the play away program to anybody as long as afternoon golf is okay and you are able to utilize it enough.

That's a bummer to hear, I booked my first round for tomorrow and got an 8:35 tee time at Firestone.

That's a bummer to hear, I booked my first round for tomorrow and got an 8:35 tee time at Firestone.

That is nice to hear you were able to get a morning tee time. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Have you used your food benefits yet?

That is nice to hear you were able to get a morning tee time. Have fun and let us know how it goes. Have you used your food benefits yet?
Unfortunately I haven't with everything going on this year. Haven't been able to travel as much as I would like. Hoping to here in the second half of the year.

The golf at Firestone today went great. We had the course pretty much to ourselves and it was $34 to play.

Back