Play & Posting for Handicap

So what exactly is the proper way to post a score using the GHIN app?

Are we supposed to have our playing partner watch us post our score on the app?

If you played a round with one or more other golfers and you played at least 13 of the 18 holes under the Rules of Golf then you post the ESC-adjusted score by typing it into the GHIN app.

If you did not play (at least 13 holes) under the Rules of Golf or if you were playing alone then you don't post.

It's not complicated.

P.S. It is *exactly* the same posting rules that have existed for decades except as of three years ago you don't post solo rounds. Don't confuse not liking something with not understanding it.

If you played a round with one or more other golfers and you played at least 13 of the 18 holes under the Rules of Golf then you post the ESC-adjusted score by typing it into the GHIN app.

If you did not play (at least 13 holes) under the Rules of Golf or if you were playing alone then you don't post.

It's not complicated.

P.S. It is *exactly* the same posting rules that have existed for decades except as of three years ago you don't post solo rounds. Don't confuse not liking something with not understanding it.

You don’t need to be a condescending Richard about it. He had a legitimate question because if it is up to you to post your own score what exactly is the difference between posting a score of a solo round or posting a score where 1-3 people are walking the course with you and paying zero attention to your score.

The only way to truly control it is signed scorecards and witnessed posting, which is the reason he asked his question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t need to be a condescending Richard about it. He had a legitimate question because if it is up to you to post your own score what exactly is the difference between posting a score of a solo round or posting a score where 1-3 people are walking the course with you and paying zero attention to your score.

The only way to truly control it is signed scorecards and witnessed posting, which is the reason he asked his question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too would prefer a real handicap system with attested scores. But that ain't the system USGA has stuck us with.

I'm the same as you. At least half of my rounds I play solo and still post my score. I can't understand for the life of me what difference it makes whether or not I am playing alone or with a group. Every score I have ever posted when I have played with a group nobody has double-checked me. What difference does it make?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I will start by saying I concur wholeheartedly. I do my best to play with integrity and if anything, my solo rounds have more integrity than group rounds because there are no forced taking of gimmies where I want to putt it but someone, thinking they are being nice, rakes it for me and ships it back to me taking away the chance so I end up posting "most likely" score instead of actual. And when playing with a group, I cannot count the number of times the conversation starts with them asking, "Four?" as they start to write it down for me, only for me to reply "five...had to punch out" or "six...because of x and y". It is not like they pay attention, know the rules, or score by the rules.

With that said, the why:

because part of the rule, whether we like it or agree with it or not, and we have established we do not, is the scores are supposed to be peer reviewed. That is done, hilariously enough, by people who would not have seen the round anyway. So they are simply looking at a number or series of numbers and deciding if it is reasonable. Whether this actually happens or not is an open question. But to your question of why....that is the reasoning behind it. So they can be peer reviewed.

and yes, I agree with your forthcoming comment...it makes no sense.

I believe the rules regarding solo rounds are stupid, but i still abide by them for better or for worse.

I'd actually prefer a system where only competitive rounds counted for handicap purposes (like in Europe), but that's for another thread.

I agree on the solo round rule being stupid, but I’ve never posted one either. A big reason for me is I go into it knowing I’m going to lose a lot of golf balls because I don’t track my own shot very well. If that wasn’t the case I’d have to think about whether or not I’d post them.

I started keeping one again last year in the hopes of getting into a THP event so I’d have something to go off of. Mission accomplished with the Bridgestone Championship coming up in July, yay!

I hope to play good enough there to be labeled a sandbagger, lol. Odds are much better that I’ll be looked at as a vanity cap though. Inconsistency plagues me horribly. Either way I plan the be a + HC when it comes to having fun!

I suggest reading the USGA Handicap Manual. Scores for all forms of competition are to be posted. The manual describes how to post scores on holes not played or even when picked up.

I think this is the bottom line. Thanks Phil75070, I will fix my ignorance here.

Sox_Fan and Et Tu Brute. I didn't know this part which is why I'll follow Phil's response. Thanks.

I probably should have put this in the larger thread, but it was this specific part that was bugging me on my last hcdp revision.

Personally, I side with tahoebom, McLovin, and others on the solo posting topic. I get what your saying Et Tu Brute and ArmyGolf... but I guess they can come at me also.

I will do better. :thumb:

Edit: I did get a chance to read the USGA Handicap Manual. I will confirm it says you should post if you have the witnessed min of 7 holes under the rules of golf. Explained and gave examples of conceded, skipped holes, and outside the rules. Thirteen holes under the rules requires posting adjusted for a full round. THANK YOU! I have no more excuses and this should no longer be an issue. THP wins again!

Last edited:
The handicap system, as all things USGA, is ridiculously and hideously over-complicated. But unlike the Rules of Golf, you can actually read and understand the important parts of the Handicap Manual in a half-hour or so (unless you want to run tournaments or calculate handicaps by hand).

I believe the rules regarding solo rounds are stupid, but i still abide by them for better or for worse.

I'd actually prefer a system where only competitive rounds counted for handicap purposes (like in Europe), but that's for another thread.

The problem with that is with guys like me who played less than 1% of my rounds as “competitive” golf for the 20 years while I was raising kids.

The problem with that is with guys like me who played less than 1% of my rounds as “competitive” golf for the 20 years while I was raising kids.

If you're never competing, you don't need a handicap.

If you do start competing, after you accumulate some competitive rounds you will have a handicap.

The problem resolves itself.

Back