Playing with rentals.

dynarider

insert witty saying here
Reaction score
Handicap
twits
I am going to assume a few here have used rentals in the past, how was your ball striking & scoring vs playing with your own clubs? Headed to Ixtapa in april & don't want to bother with the hassle of bringing my clubs plus no need to worry about them being lost or stolen then. There are 2 golf courses withing 10 minutes of my hotel & not even sure if I will play or not.

Anyways they do have rentals & I was just wondering if anyones games have been affected due to what possibly could be an ill matched set of sticks? Will bring a glove & a dozen balls with me, shoes will stay home since i'm only taking 1 carry on bag & don't want to waste space.

I had a lot of trouble with rentals because they were about one-inch too short and the lie angle was too flat.

If you are standard length and lie you shouldn't have any problem. Depending upon where you play you can rent some nice equipment. That said, it can also get pricey. Have you thought of shipping your clubs? I know a lot of folks who do that as they don't want to hassle with them for the same reasons you stated. Also, given what airlines are charging these days, it's an inexpensive alternative.

I won't consider shipping as the cost is greater than what the airlines want for the extra charged bag. If I was 100% certain I was going to play, my clubs would come with me. But my wife doesn't care for the game too much & i'm not going to subject her to just hanging out while I go off & play for 4-5 hrs.

I won't consider shipping as the cost is greater than what the airlines want for the extra charged bag. If I was 100% certain I was going to play, my clubs would come with me. But my wife doesn't care for the game too much & i'm not going to subject her to just hanging out while I go off & play for 4-5 hrs.
Then it would make sense to rent. My wife was glad to get rid of me for a few hours while she would do the spa/shopping thing. :)

It has affected my play, even good sets, generally just because the first few holes they still feel different. But not enough to be worth bringing my own if it's inconvenient or cost prohibitive. Plus I still had fun.

As a lefty the rental sets are often much lower quality, though. I have a funny story I've been meaning to share about my last rental golf experience in November at a bachelor party scramble outing. But I won't hijack your thread to do it here.

It has affected my play, even good sets, generally just because the first few holes they still feel different. But not enough to be worth bringing my own if it's inconvenient or cost prohibitive. Plus I still had fun.

As a lefty the rental sets are often much lower quality, though. I have a funny story I've been meaning to share about my last rental golf experience in November at a bachelor party scramble outing. But I won't hijack your thread to do it here.

By all means go ahead & jack it.

i just got back from the dominican republic where i played with Nike sq rental clubs. The irons and didnt have too much of a problem with but i hated the 5 wood. The 5 must of cost me 5 strokes through out the day, I just couldnt hit it. Rentals were $40 which seems on par for other resorts of heard of.

I have used rental clubs a couple of times and just wrote it off before I even hit the first tee as nothing more than a fun round and the last thing I worried about was a score card and score for that matter. Just one of those times when you need to worry less about the final score and just have fun getting out on a strange course and have a good tme.

Seems like the perfect opportunity to 'blame the arrows and not the indian' to me!

Also a lefty and I too have found the quality of the rental sets lacking. I did not have any trouble hitting them, but I have several sets of clubs and sometimes change on a whim. I am somewhat used to playing differing sets.

Last time, I got a set with an old TM original metalwood driver. It was a hoot. The head looked like a 7W. Still, it hit great and I didn't notice a lot of difference in distance.

I played the South Course at Torrey Pines last year on vacation and rented clubs. I didn't hit them as well and mine but who cares, I wasn't out there to post a score I was just there to play the course. Ixtapa/Zihuat is a great area if you are lucky enough to get out and golf rent the clubs and enjoy the day, don't worry about your score.

Last week we went to a wedding in Burbank and I played my first round of the year. I rented clubs and got....... Top Flight XL Forged clubs!

Who knew Top Flight even made forged clubs?

Needless to say, my score was significantly higher than it should have been.

i just got back from the dominican republic where i played with Nike sq rental clubs. The irons and didnt have too much of a problem with but i hated the 5 wood. The 5 must of cost me 5 strokes through out the day, I just couldnt hit it. Rentals were $40 which seems on par for other resorts of heard of.

Did John go on the trip with you?

Back