playing with someone who is a pace problem

One of my league partners this year is a newer golfer. He takes forever for everything....
Ready golf he literally has never heard of.
A few weeks ago, I said let's play ready golf man...
His reply "what do you mean?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've left groups for less. Especially if there is no one in front.
I would be blatantly honest and say "I got somewhere I have to be and I can't play this slow." You gave him ample opportunity to speed up some people just don't get it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

im not a fan of speed golf either, have no and see no reason for a 4some to be done in 3-1/2 hrs either. I mean ive done it with 4somes and it didn't seem that fast either but its not something I need to push to do. Most the time i want to enjoy my time on the course. Waiting on slow group ahead too much too often can be a pain for sure but so can having rabbits up your butt too. keeping up with the group ahead may be correct most times but its njot the correct thing imo. The correct thing is to golf in a respectable time frame. If the group ahead are rabbits than so be it. Im not looking to run with them. And that goes for the group behind. As long as my group is not slow for the course than its not slow period imo. There is another side of pace problems too.

If you are behind pace compared to the group in front of you and there is a group pushing you move over and let them through even if you are on pace with the course time par.

I'll say something about us falling behind or needing to keep up with the group in front of us, but I'm not confrontational enough to say it directly to a stranger, although I should be able to since I probably won't see them again after the 18th green.

"Bob, we're friends, right?"

"Yep."

"Then as your friend, I gotta tell you, your pace of play is driving us crazy. We don't want to lose you as a partner. Will you let us tell you when you're holding things up?"

If he's not OK with that conversation, he wouldn't be OK with any conversation and isn't a friend worth keeping.

I love this and am going to keep this in mind. My cousin is slow af and I've tried to encourage habits like reading your putts before it's your turn and it just doesn't sink in.

One of my league partners this year is a newer golfer. He takes forever for everything....
Ready golf he literally has never heard of.
A few weeks ago, I said let's play ready golf man...
His reply "what do you mean?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have much less of a problem with this from a newer golfer and it can be used as a teaching opportunity for the future.

If you are behind pace compared to the group in front of you and there is a group pushing you move over and let them through even if you are on pace with the course time par.

That depends. Its something I would give the courtesy though honestly its never come to that. But if there are two quicker 4somes then what? Do you let them both through? Imo now my group just became slowed down to let two groups pass when all the while my group was not a pace problem. That's not necessarily a correct thing imo. If we are keeping a respectable pace than just perhaps, so be it. Playing faster than a respectable course pace is not imo somehow an automatic right of way passage over those in front who are playing within reasonable and respectable pace. I think etiquette works both ways. It doesn't imo always lean to the side of faster play. It would lean (or should) to those who need to pass a pace problem group but not imo to a speedier group that wants to pass a non pace problematic group. I don't think fast groups have a right to nor should expect to pass any group in their way. I wouldn't have an issue allowing it (circumstance dependent) but that wouldn't be the fast groups expected right and would imo only be an extended courtesy by my group.

I had this problem with my group this week and came close to losing it. We were so slow that the group behind us started hitting into us and I DIDN'T BLAME THEM! The worst offender, unfortunately, was my usual playing partner. Takes forever to line up the freakin' line up the line on his ball to putt (and usually misses the putt after that), and, most maddening of all, uses both his GPS and Rangefinder INSIDE OF 50 YARDS! (Do you change clubs between 40 and 42 yards?!!!). Another usual playing partner will no longer play if he is included. What made this worse was that the 2 guys they put us with had the same type of ridiculous pre-shot routine. At one point I just putted without even attempting to aim. My friend said "Why did you rush like that?" I said (loudly) "because the groups behind us are all waiting!"
He actually came out with "We're playing as fast as we can." I said, even more loudly "No, we're not." They still didn't get it.
I think sometimes he does this to get in my head, but the other 2 guys were just as bad. That pre-putt stuff has to stop.
Anyone else feel this way?

I have a "friend" who will wait until its his turn, and then he starts thinking of what to do, maybe mosey over to the cart and light up a smoke while he's thinking. Then grab a club, 7-8 practice swings later he'll back up realign, take 2 more practice swings and then finally swing. He was in the group behind me at men's night last week, I had eaten and left before he finished his round....

some people just have something in them that can cause gridlock in the middle of a desert.

I had this problem with my group this week and came close to losing it. We were so slow that the group behind us started hitting into us and I DIDN'T BLAME THEM! The worst offender, unfortunately, was my usual playing partner. Takes forever to line up the freakin' line up the line on his ball to putt (and usually misses the putt after that), and, most maddening of all, uses both his GPS and Rangefinder INSIDE OF 50 YARDS! (Do you change clubs between 40 and 42 yards?!!!). Another usual playing partner will no longer play if he is included. What made this worse was that the 2 guys they put us with had the same type of ridiculous pre-shot routine. At one point I just putted without even attempting to aim. My friend said "Why did you rush like that?" I said (loudly) "because the groups behind us are all waiting!"
He actually came out with "We're playing as fast as we can." I said, even more loudly "No, we're not." They still didn't get it.
I think sometimes he does this to get in my head, but the other 2 guys were just as bad. That pre-putt stuff has to stop.

I don't even understand why a perfectly clean ball needs to be picked up and marked to begin with unless in someone's line. Putting slow downs are the worst of anything. And yes far more problematic and annoying than wrong tees ever will be. I hate when one who takes a ton of time to putt doesn't bother to get any part at all of what he needs to do while others are putting. And then on top of that, when he misses god for bid if he were to finish out without having to again pick up and go through the whole things over again. The worst thing that's unfair about the whole thing is that then those who are aware of the issue do things to hurry up their play in order to help the pace but resulting in somewhat worse play for them. All the while the problem player still gets to take his time. Honestly its really just a complete selfish "all about me" mindset.

A little off topic but today was terrible!! I started early and was by myself. Never saw another person until just after my tee shot on #12. Waited probably 7 minutes until these guys finally got off the green. From this point on I waited for every tee shot, every fairway shot!! #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18!!!!!!!!

Three of those hole I walked up to the tee box while they we STILL TEEING OFF! They knew I was waiting but they just didn't care.

After the round I went up to them and describe why I was pissed. They didn't get it!

All that is their problem. My problem is I let all this get to me!! It ruined my day and that is MY PROBLEM! It's four hours later and I'm still pissed!!

a little relevant, but i got stuck behind a twosome who actually kept pace pretty well though i could tell they were rushing themselves. eventually paired up with another single who was playing quickly, and the twosome let us through at the turn. but then we caught this kid playing by himself, maybe 13 or 14 years old. he was painfully slow and had poor etiquette (where he chose to park his cart, playing multiple balls while we waited on him, etc). i saw him after i finished my round and really debated whether to say anything, but ultimately chose not to.

a little relevant, but i got stuck behind a twosome who actually kept pace pretty well though i could tell they were rushing themselves. eventually paired up with another single who was playing quickly, and the twosome let us through at the turn. but then we caught this kid playing by himself, maybe 13 or 14 years old. he was painfully slow and had poor etiquette (where he chose to park his cart, playing multiple balls while we waited on him, etc). i saw him after i finished my round and really debated whether to say anything, but ultimately chose not to.

I'm surprised the course let someone without a drivers license take a cart in the first place.

And one should never play multiple balls when people are waiting. A call to the pro shop would have been good here.

I always use my range finder inside 50 yards. It is the one time I can actually hit the exact distance, don't change clubs from 40 to 43 yards but a slightly different backswing. I do it fast though.

Just had this issue today. 4 singles tee off all walking, bye the 4th hole we had a looligagger. All of us would hit in the 240-270 range off the tee except this one guy.....160 tops. Problem was he would spend at least a minute putting his club away taking off his glove..etc....etc... The 3 of us could walk to our balls, hit them and still wait for him to get to his ball. On the 8th hole we where all on the green and we look back he's digging in his bag for something some 50 yards from the green.
We resolved this issue by putting out and leaving him behind. Time we finished he was leaving the 14th hole.
Absolutely baffling to the least.

Just had this issue today. 4 singles tee off all walking, bye the 4th hole we had a looligagger. All of us would hit in the 240-270 range off the tee except this one guy.....160 tops. Problem was he would spend at least a minute putting his club away taking off his glove..etc....etc... The 3 of us could walk to our balls, hit them and still wait for him to get to his ball. On the 8th hole we where all on the green and we look back he's digging in his bag for something some 50 yards from the green.
We resolved this issue by putting out and leaving him behind. Time we finished he was leaving the 14th hole.
Absolutely baffling to the least.

maybe the same guy I played with took a trip out by you. Some simply do not know how to move and not just in golf but everything they do is a process. They just live in slow motion. As said, can cause gridlock in a desert.

Just ask them to speed up play. Except for calling the clubhouse, I'm not sure what else you can do. If they're not buddies, I'd say "bye" and move on ahead, if possible, or leave them after 9 holes.

Back