Pondering Club Fitting, How Much $$

Dartgod

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I know there will be a wide range of answers to this question, but I'd really like to be fit for my clubs but not sure I can afford it.

I've made some improvements in my game as a result of lessons, and I've read a lot about the benefits of being fit for clubs. I think that's the next step I'd like to take. So some questions for those that have gone this path...

In general, how much can I expect to pay for a fitting and new clubs?
  • Full 13 club bag
  • Irons only
  • Irons and driver
I'm also curious if a fitter will fit my existing clubs? I have TM Rocketbladez 4-AW irons. Driver is a TM M1 (I think 3 years old) and a M2 5W (a couple of years old). Can they just fit me into those and reshaft if needed? I wouldn't be opposed to fitting into new irons and just fitting me into the correct shaft for my driver and 5W. My 3W is older and should probably be replaced.

Just a lot of questions and not sure what to do. Yes, I can contact a fitter and ask them these questions, but I really am interested in the opinion of the membership here.

I have around $500 saved up from birthday and Christmas money and gift cards and I could probably convince my wife to let me spend another $500 besides that, but I'm not sure if $1,000 is enough. I don't need the latest and greatest clubs. Can they fit you into models 2 or 3 years old?

Sorry, a lot of rambling I know, but hopefully you can understand my confusion on the matter.

Thanks in advance!

i want to pay for an all around fitting of everything but not buy clubs. i just want to know where im at and then decide where to go from there.
again, ill pay for the fitting, just not buy clubs.
i want a printout of specs.

So a quick google for fitters in Belton MO (Based on your profile gives this.

A lot of people seem to go to Club Champion, but anecdotally they also seem to be one that try and "fit" you in to upcharge options for shafts etc (happy to be corrected!)

Best thing to do will be to call / look at a couple in your area and see what they charge.

I got fit back in Feb at a place in here in Vancouver (Modern Golf), fitting was free with a certain value purchase, but there was no pressure to buy. I tried dozens of clubs and got fitted for Driver through to PW/GW and then Putter a few weeks after.

If I had not purchased the clubs, they would have just charged me for the fitting and given me the details of my results, both my trackman report and their "'prescription" (I got these anyway)

Have a look around near you and see who you like the look of best would probably be the thing to do

I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw a sign at a PGA Superstore that said a one hour club fitting was $95.

I've checked out the fitting prices. I'm more interested in the total cost if the fitting + the clubs you were fit into.

Again, I know that there are a wide range of prices of clubs, but just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.

I've checked out the fitting prices. I'm more interested in the total cost if the fitting + the clubs you were fit into.

Again, I know that there are a wide range of prices of clubs, but just trying to get a general idea of what to expect.
Any decent place should waive or reduce the fitting fee if you do purchase from them.

I was fitted at Modern Golf here in Toronto.

Had I not purchased the clubs, the two hour fitting would have cost me $100.00 and I would have walked out the door with the specs and could have ordered them anywhere.

I chose to purchase the clubs from them, and paid about 10% more than what my local big box sells the clubs for. I considered questioning the upcharge, but I figured they have to make money somehow.

I went back to see if I could fit a better shaft on my driver, and while there were improvements a new driver produced even better results (as expected). I was given the choice, and opted for the new club. Again I could have walked out with the knowledge for a mere $100.

If you got to Club Champion it’s gonna be a helluva lot more than $1k. A full bag fitting is $300 and you’d be hard pressed to could get a driver or (not and) a fairway wood from them for the remaining $700

So, I know there will be a wide range of answers to this question, but I'd really like to be fit for my clubs but not sure I can afford it.

I've made some improvements in my game as a result of lessons, and I've read a lot about the benefits of being fit for clubs. I think that's the next step I'd like to take. So some questions for those that have gone this path...

In general, how much can I expect to pay for a fitting and new clubs?
  • Full 13 club bag
  • Irons only
  • Irons and driver
I'm also curious if a fitter will fit my existing clubs? I have TM Rocketbladez 4-AW irons. Driver is a TM M1 (I think 3 years old) and a M2 5W (a couple of years old). Can they just fit me into those and reshaft if needed? I wouldn't be opposed to fitting into new irons and just fitting me into the correct shaft for my driver and 5W. My 3W is older and should probably be replaced.

Just a lot of questions and not sure what to do. Yes, I can contact a fitter and ask them these questions, but I really am interested in the opinion of the membership here.

I have around $500 saved up from birthday and Christmas money and gift cards and I could probably convince my wife to let me spend another $500 besides that, but I'm not sure if $1,000 is enough. I don't need the latest and greatest clubs. Can they fit you into models 2 or 3 years old?

Sorry, a lot of rambling I know, but hopefully you can understand my confusion on the matter.

Thanks in advance!
I had this same question last summer when I was interested in a driver fitting. We have club Champion and GolfTec within an hour and a half drive. First I called Club Champion and talked with a fitter. My question to him was, if I come down and get fitted for a driver, will the price of the recommended club be comparable to a new top brand-name driver? He was real honest and said theirs would be 40-50% higher because they use after-market high-tech shafts. That was a deal breaker for me; I can't justify spending 700 or more for a driver.

I ended up booking a driver fitting at GolfTec for their sale price of 100.00. They gave me all the results from the 5 or 6 different combinations I tried. No pressure at all to purchase from them. The whole experience made me a huge believer in club fitting. Iron fitting is on the calendar for next spring.

I was hoping to get more examples of people who went through a fitting and what they ended up paying for the fitting and clubs in total. I just have no idea what to expect.

Can I get fit for new irons and new shafts in my existing driver and 5W, maybe a hybrid or two for $1500 or less?

I was hoping to get more examples of people who went through a fitting and what they ended up paying for the fitting and clubs in total. I just have no idea what to expect.

Can I get fit for new irons and new shafts in my existing driver and 5W, maybe a hybrid or two for $1500 or less?
Maybe? Depending on how the fitter structures their fees and the clubs you choose.

I did my fitting at Top Golf, with a PGA Certified Master Fitter. The fitting was $150, but that cost was waived if you made any purchase over $500. I bought a driver, irons (6-AW), one FW, one hybrid and a putter - without digging out my receipts, I can tell you that the total was somewhere around $2200 with tax and all included.

Maybe? Depending on how the fitter structures their fees and the clubs you choose.

I did my fitting at Top Golf, with a PGA Certified Master Fitter. The fitting was $150, but that cost was waived if you made any purchase over $500. I bought a driver, irons (6-AW), one FW, one hybrid and a putter - without digging out my receipts, I can tell you that the total was somewhere around $2200 with tax and all included.
Is that for the clubs you have listed in your WITB now?

Is that for the clubs you have listed in your WITB now?
Yep, but I actually misspoke - I had bought the driver before that. The purchase on the day of my fitting was the Mavrik 5W, 5H (I added the Super Hybrid later), 6-AW irons (I added the 5i later), two MD5 Jaws wedges (54° and 58°, I bought the 58° PM Grind later) and the Stroke Lab Black Ten putter. I just pulled my receipts and double checked, it was just over $1900 for all that.

A very good local fitting center around me (NE Ohio) charges $125 for a single fitting (driver, irons, or wedges). If you end up purchasing they only charge $40.

$250 for a full bag fitting. If you purchase what you were fit to, they only charge $80.

They’ll also evaluate the clubs you currently have and make lift, lie or other suggestions. Not sure on the specifics around that process though.

For the Morgan Cup I went to Edwin Watts a couple times, once for woods (15 minutes) and then did irons a week or so later (slipped the guy $20). Not a real fitting since I was only after Cobra product, but you could probably stretch your bucks farther there!

I've only done a Club Champion fitting and I didn't feel like it was worth it. I wasn't going to buy the clubs through them because of their high prices, and I really just wanted to see what my specs were.

The recommendation was all Callaway clubs except to keep my current hybrid and change the shaft. It definitely felt like he was pushing the brand on me as I only remember hitting Callaway in driver, 3w, and irons, and the newer version of the AP2 irons I had.

I got my trackman numbers and club recommendations. I bought the 3w used and got the shaft off ebay, It stayed in the bag for a year.

My recommendation is CC isn't worth it.

I got fitted for irons recently at Cool Clubs. The iron fitting fee was $175 which the fitter waived when I bought clubs. I ordered 5-AW with Nippon steel shafts with the full Cool Clubs build and it cost me about $2K. This does include a full fit guarantee and I have already had the lies adjusted a bit. The lie angle was right after the fitting but I have recently played flatter lies and was missing left. The fitter also said that I should bring the irons back a couple of times a year for him to make sure the lies haven't moved due to the new irons being forged.

If you went to a PGA Tour Superstore for example you could probably get fitted for irons and maybe a 5W and a hybrid for under $1500 depending on the iron selection. Many irons can be bought for under $1K figure 250-300 for a 3W and a couple of hundred for a hybrid. That is mostly if you go with no upcharge shafts

Thanks for the replies everyone. There is a fitter in the KC area, Golf MD, that gets really good reviews. I don't think I can afford a full bag fitting, but I'm going to give them a call and see what they can do. I'm thinking about going through the iron fitting ($100) and then decide if I can afford the new irons they recommend. If not, I'll just have them do a loft/lie adjustment on my current ones. I'll also do a shaft fitting on my current driver and FW woods. I think that should keep me within budget.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There is a fitter in the KC area, Golf MD, that gets really good reviews. I don't think I can afford a full bag fitting, but I'm going to give them a call and see what they can do. I'm thinking about going through the iron fitting ($100) and then decide if I can afford the new irons they recommend. If not, I'll just have them do a loft/lie adjustment on my current ones. I'll also do a shaft fitting on my current driver and FW woods. I think that should keep me within budget.

I was actually going to recommend Golf MD to you. Nice people there, give them a call

I've made some improvements in my game as a result of lessons, and I've read a lot about the benefits of being fit for clubs. I think that's the next step I'd like to take.

I

Talk to the instructor from whom you've been taking lessons and ask him/her about your equipment.

At your budget, the big Box stores will be about your only option since the fitting is credited towards the purchase. However, regardless of where you get fitted, you are pretty much limited to the latest release For that particular club type. For instance, Callaway will be Apex 19 line, Mavrik Line, X forged, Big Berths and Epic Iron line - those are the only ones they are currently selling new from factory and customized. The issue is that the most affordable iron sets (4-aw) will still cost around $900 before tax.

At your budget, the big Box stores will be about your only option since the fitting is credited towards the purchase. However, regardless of where you get fitted, you are pretty much limited to the latest release For that particular club type. For instance, Callaway will be Apex 19 line, Mavrik Line, X forged, Big Berths and Epic Iron line - those are the only ones they are currently selling new from factory and customized. The issue is that the most affordable iron sets (4-aw) will still cost around $900 before tax.

Staying in a cast clubhead would allow you to get 5-PW or AW probably in the $1K range. Getting into a forged club is going to drive the cost up. For example 5-AW for the Maverik is $799. In the Apex family 5-AW is $1225.

The fitter may be able to steer you toward the best stock fit offering. I did just do a custom fit but I do think you could get a pretty good fit through a big box. It would certainly be better than nothing and in a cast family you could likely get irons, a 3w and at least 1 hybrid for your budget.

So is there any benefit to going through a loft/lie fitting with my current irons?

$500 will probably get you a very good club fitting, plus maybe a club or two.

Back