Practice with a Purpose?

always with a purpose. i guess it helps that i have been working on the same thing for over a year.

When I practice, I do it in modules. So I break it down into segments that I need. I may start with hands at the top of my swing for 10 min. I may segway into weight transfer, etc.

Recently got a Rapsodo so I’m beginning to practice with a purpose on the range. Before that, the only time I’m on the range, it’s only been to warm up. I rarely went out to practice to work on anything.

Putting is half the time just rolling putts to get the speed and the other half if working on my distance control and start line.Multiple putts from different distances and different angles and I don’t move on until I make a certain amount.

I definitely need to practice more with a purpose from top to bottom though

I really try to make sure I'm focusing and practicing with purpose. If I find myself just slashing at a few in a row, I try to step back walk back to my bag and reset myself. It's easy for me to get just hitting ball after ball, though, so definitely takes a concerted effort.

Short game, I definitely have a purpose. I have a handful of shots I want to be able to pull off, and work to be able to do so.
Full shots on the range though? I have my routine. I tend to work more on alignment and consistency. If I could hit a bucket of balls dead straight on target, I would be more than happy with that.

My range session usually goes like this:
Large bucket
-5 balls with GW at the nearest flag (50-70 yards) It's on a little "green" so I try to stick it on.
-Then 5 balls with each club ascending through the bag, short to long.
-The range I use has various "greens" you can aim for, but I don't usually use them.
-The plotting I use is to follow the yardage markers out from the short green. They are in a straight line, so I'll take a PW next and aim for the space in between the short green and the 100 marker, then work my way out from there.
-As I work my way up the bag, I am working on making sure I have a nice ball flight, the contact felt good, and the distance is where I'm hoping to be.
-Sometimes, I'll reach a "sticking point" with a club (all are good from GW up to, say the 8-iron. The 7-iron feels off or I'm not getting the shots I want.) I'll stay here for 10-15
balls to see if I can fix it. If I can't I set it off to the side, and continue up to the driver.
-After hitting the driver, I'll grab whatever the "sticking point" club was and finish out the bucket with it to try to figure it out.
-If there wasn't a problem club, any balls after the driver will be GW until finish.

My focus now is less about quantity and more about quality. I would rather hit 30 balls at the range with a purpose than 150 without one. I keep notes of each lesson and then refer to them when practicing. Plan now is to make notes each time I practice and play.

I have worked pretty hard to shed 4 strokes off my index and I think each one going forward will be even harder than the last so need to figure out any rough edge that is there so it can be sanded down.

Lately I've been playing/practicing hitting my my new blades. The more I use them the better it gets.

Obviously the purpose here is to get use to them.

As I tend not to hit balls on the range, I really don’t have a practice routine there. But, I do try to have a practice routine on the practice green. I do several different drills and will utilize training aids.

My short game practice has been my saving grace once I get onto the course. At least 3 times a week I get out in the backyard and hit shots from 110 and in. Work my 50*, 54*, and a lot of 58* wedge shots. Work on various lies, good and bad. Have some that are downhill lies, uphill lies, ball below or above my feel lies. I can find just about anything I can for greenside <25 yard shots, and it's been really helping me on course.

Also cut the grass shot in an area so i can practice my 50 and 54* wedges from a "fairway" lie, as well as the rough, since I see both on course. I have various trees, and other locations around the yard that I know distances to. Helps me as I try to dial in these wedges.

Looking at Arccos data, my biggest weakness is the next step up, from 100-150 yards. I'm losing the most strokes there, so this will be my focus next time on the range. Need to get more consistent. Or, buy the farm land behind my house and expand my backyard practice area :unsure:

My typical practice consists of 1 small bucket and one large bucket. I start with the small and hit about 1/4th of it with just my 50 degree wedge at about 1/2 swing to get wam and loose. Then I work my way through the bag hitting 2 or 3 balls with every club at game speed.

After the small bucket, I work on whatever I had chosen before I got there and spend the whole bucket on that.
So....In my opinion I do practice with a purpose.

About 5 or 6 things I specifically work on.
1 reaching full backswing...check hip rotation and ready tension for lower body rotation.
2 initiate downswing with lower body rotation, after that almost everything else falls into form
3. make sure hands don't start the downswing or release early, in fact I try not to even try and release, but let in "happen"
4. make sure hitting ball before ground.. experiment with exactly where my supposed bottom of arc is or should be for either hi or low shots
5. follow thru with a divot that is inside of the target line.
6. try to swing faster, not harder. Difference between tight and loose swing
Usually I'll highlight one of these for more serious work.

Then when I practice chipping, I try to get different trajectories with the same club; a sandwedge.
Hit it high, medium, low running, low checking, and the flop

edit; I also practice getting warmed up faster. In other words concentrate on doing it right within a couple of balls not a bucket later.
Nothing I hate worse than starting out after a couple of holes with the round already ruined, but...it's normal.

Last edited:
On the podcast several comments were the guy that just hits a lot of putts on the practice green that's me... I could really use some meaningful putting drills, at home it's using the putt out and recently got a mirror mat (not sure I get the point). I also have the gates (bridges) but not sure I understand those as well. Help appreciated.

I haven't practiced more than 4 hours in the last 4 years.
I used to practice with purpose. Always working on maintaining a feel in my transition.

I would love to see more golf courses have a small area to hit your short game. It doesn't feel like practice when you're hitting a bunch of short clubs into greens from different lengths.

Back