Problem with hybrid adapters coming loose

Audioclyde

Randy
Reaction score
Handicap
8.7 GHIN
Looking for advice. First, I have installed 4 sets of iron shafts (all steel shafts) with no problems-no heads have come loose.

Using the same Golfworks Tour Set epoxy (and it’s only a couple months old), I installed some Callaway Super Hybrid adapters (adapters were new) on a couple new graphite hybrid shafts (.370) that I had. Lightly sanded the tips to prep/remove paint, mixed epox, coated inside of adapter and shaft tips, then installed. Let cure for 24 hours. Temps were in the 60s, so stored the shafts indoors (temp around 70) while they cured.

All seemed fine, then after hitting 15-20 shots at the range, I note both adapters are coming loose....

Any special tips for installing adapters? Do I need to ream the insides of the adapters a bit more to roughen up the inside?

epoxy mix that I saved seems cured/fine.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Did you rough up the inside of the adapter as well?

take an old spare 1/4" drill bit, glue a strip of sandpaper on the end and wrap a few times. homemade sanding wheel!

this can be used for both prepping the inside of a sleeve as well as tip prep

no need to go crazy with grit, even 120 will be fine as epoxy bonds at a molecular level

Yes, you should sand the inside of the adapter a little, but I also always use some acetone and wipe out any residue inside the adapter. I have found that they sometimes can have an oil type residue inside them if you get them new.

Thanks, I’ll rough up the insides more this time.

Back