Project X 6.0 Shaft Feedback?

jag398

Reaction score
Handicap
Just to give a little background info... I was fit for these shafts and previously hit Dynamic Gold S300 shafts. I'm 26 and have always been capable of hitting 400 to 600 balls per day; however, after 1 month of using my PING irons, and hitting only 150 to 200 balls per day, my hands are killing me. My fingers in particular, where I grip the club are sore and stiff in the mornings and after taking 3 days off from not hitting a ball my hands have healed completely. I did notice, even the first time I ever hit with my new irons, that the feedback from the shaft was very harsh on mishits. I'm strongly considering unloading my clubs since they still look new and I can get close to 80% back of what I paid and switching irons with a new softer shaft. I swing my driver roughly 113mph so I know I'd fit into stiff shafts, but I had no problems with my dynamic gold s300 shafts in my titleist 731pm irons from before.

Has anyone experienced any similar issues?

Do you think the 6.0 is softer than the S300s? Hmmm, I see that differently and switching to the shaft that plays stiffer might be the issue. Not sure though as I am not a doctor, nor have I seen you swing. I have not related shaft stiffness to body issues. Weight, yes....But not shaft stiffness in my experience.

I think the 6.0 is much stiffer than the S300 and this may be why I'm feeling soreness in my hands. I was wondering if all clubs at a particular stiffness feel the same way because that is what I was fit into.

hmmm, never thought about how the weight could be a problem. The irons I currently hit feel much heavier than what I hit before... you may be on to something.

I have noticed occasionally that with my 5.5's I get pain In my elbow/wrist if my swing isn't in a good groove. And recently my arms have not been waking up in the mornings as quick as I'd like. General stiff feeling occasionally in them but not major pain or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting no major pain as well. It's the stiffness that I am not in love with. I'm in dental school and the last thing I need is stiff hands, haha. I'm really thinking about switching shafts or irons/shafts because of the issue.

I just looked up the specs and project X 6.0's are 120g whereas my old dynamic gold S300 shafts are 124g. I honestly think my new clubs with the project X shafts feel significantly heavier... maybe it's the head in combination with the shaft.

I switched a few years back from S300's to PX 5.5's and there is a major difference in feedback, imo. I know the term is overused, but Harsh is a great word to describe the feeling at impact. I had never felt that with my S300's.

The Ping heads are probably heavier than your previous irons (I don't think you stated what they were). They are also perimeter weighted so the SW could be a lot higher which could be contributing to the soreness

I would agree completely with your assessment. The PX shafts do have a very harsh feeling at impact unless you really strike the ball perfectly. I could mishit my S300's and never get harsh feedback. My previous irons were the 731PM's by titleist and they do weight less than what I currently swing even if the shaft is heavier.

When I got my new irons I hit PX, TT, and KBS. I did notice the PX when mishit was very harsh. It could very well be the kick point in the new shafts that are higher, I don't know. I love my KBS shafts and may never look at another.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

If the clubs do feel significantly heavier in your hands than your previous set you may be subconsciously compensating for this by gripping the club more tightly, which could result in new hand pain. Before getting rid of the clubs you might try regripping one with a softer grip like the Winn DSi.

dont mean to bump such an old thread but after some searching, this thread is exactly the issue i was going to bring up. I noticed this a little bit in Cali, but since the last few rounds have been indoors off of mats the pain in my hands has been worse, especially where my fingers interlock in my grip. Has anyone else dealt with this?

dont mean to bump such an old thread but after some searching, this thread is exactly the issue i was going to bring up. I noticed this a little bit in Cali, but since the last few rounds have been indoors off of mats the pain in my hands has been worse, especially where my fingers interlock in my grip. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Not that I have noticed, or attributed to the shafts anyway. I have a range session coming up later this week and will try to be more aware for this pain.

I haven't had this issue as of yet, but also have not had a golf heavy day where I take more than 50-60 swings with them. I also use an overlapping grip after having issues with the pain where my fingers interlocked with my old set, so that could save me a bit from harsh feel creating hand pain.

Old thread but I'll weigh in as well

My old Hogan blades (Apex PC 1985) had Apex 4 shafts which were comparable to the S400. Hogan shafts are much different now. When I replaced the Hogan shafts I replaced them with the S400's. My new (2010/2011 Bridgestone J38's have the PX6.0 and I find their feedback very harsh as compared to my older Hogans.

Bob (Diveguy)

Back