Proper golf etiquette - a question

I've been hit into a handful of times by the person who comes up and apologizes and says they've never hit that far before in their life.

Personally, I just appreciate that they apologized, and take them at their word that it was a 'once in a lifetime over-pured shot.'

No one got hurt. That group in front of you overreacted IMO.

~Rock

Definitely should have waited. Given the circumstances (a twosome behind a foursome), you were going to wait at the next hole, and hole after, etc. Why "rush" THIS particular shot knowing you would be right behind them on the next hole anyway.

We all know our averages and what it could be to get ahold of one. If I pull the club and my hope is to hit a spot that could come close i wait. Afterall, if you hit it while they are still on the green you still have a large wait at the next tee box after hitting your approach/chip up from short yardage.

Plus theres the fact that if the group behind you is pushing watches that tee shot, they might realize hey its not these guys that are slowing us down haha! :giggle:

1) always yell fore
2) rush up to apologize effusively

This will usually diffuse it and maybe get you a compliment on a great shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When in doubt wait, the group behind you shouldn't come in to play, it's not like you are a hole behind or something.

He was wrong to hit.

Apologize and learn from it.

Don't dwell on it.

I agree with this.

I hate it when I am getting ready to hit a shot whether it's an approach or a putt and someone bounces a ball 15-30 yards behind me. All I hear is the bounce and have no idea how close it is and I flinch.

So yesterday something happened that I’d love to get feedback from others on. My buddy and I were waiting to tee off on the 14th hole, a drivable 260 yard par 4, while the foursome ahead was on the green. The group ahead was moving really slow and they had their stand bags about 10 yards in the fairway in front of the green when they were putting. My buddy has never reached the green before, and we were getting pushed from behind, so he hit his first shot…which landed about 15 yards back and rolled up to the green, bouncing off of one of their bags. Probably the shot of his life - it’s a very narrow window to get the ball anywhere near the green.

The group ahead on the next hole didn’t seem to react at first but they waited for us at the next hole and screamed at us, telling us the ball landed on the green in the air and that we should never have hit. It was pretty bad for a few seconds but then they moved on.

I’m curious what people feel is the proper etiquette in that situation for us/me going forward. One of us should definitely have yelled Fore, and I feel really bad I didn’t (didn’t realize the ball trajectory until it was too late). At the same time, my buddy said that if the balls rolls up, it’s not as bad as the ball landing in the air. Although I wasn’t the one involved (my drive hooked way right and I hit as they were walking off), I’m super conscious about playing the right way, and I want to learn from this as best I can.

Any thoughts would be awesome - thank you!
The SAFEST play is to ALWAYS Yell FORE if the ball is going to even come close to another group. I must say that it's NOT often one looks for ETIQUETTE information anymore, so, THANK YOU for being diligent and respectful. God bless!

OK, so the group behind you is pushing you. Yes, I hate that feeling too, but you are not out of position. On a drivable par 4, if you're hitting Driver, you have to wait until the green is clear. If the group behind you gripes, tell them to shut up. Why let them play through? They're not going to go anywhere.

Back