Proper Wrist Action

Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Andy,

I am getting confused on the proper way to use the hands and wrist in the swing.

I saw Hank Haney give an example where the right hand/wrist works like a hammer. This doesn't seem natural to me, because the target line is perpendicular to right hand at impact. When I try to hit the ball this way, I get a slice.

It seems more natural to use the right hand in a slapping motion because I'm standing beside the ball when I hit it. Although, with this method I get a hook.

I need help. What is the proper wrist/hand action for each hand? Do you have any drills?

I will try and do what I can. When you have the club parallel to the ground the toe of the club should point straight up to the sky and the logo of you glove or the back of your left hand (right handed players) should be facing away from you. To feel where the hands/wrists should be at the top try this. The right wrist should be cupped or palm to the sky (for right handed players) and the left wrist should be flat. At impact I want to see the left wrist flat or slightly bowed and the right wrist should still be slightly cupped. I hope this is what you are looking for. Let me know if you need more info on this.

Back