Pulling 1/2 swing shots got a Drill?

LordByron

Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie, Help!

When I hit 1/2 wedges with pw, 50, 58, I tend to hit straight pulls. 10 yards left or so. My divots are on the line of the shot/ left of my target. When hitting full shots I am starting the ball at my intended target. I do have a tendency to get quick with my shoulders on the 1/2 shots and come over the top. I think this may be the cause? Do you have a good tempo drill or something for me to work on for 1/2 wedge shots. I need to get these started on my intended line.

Thanks!
Byron

The beauty of half swings is they are very much arm swings. The body is preset open to the target and the arms flow toward the target. Based on what you've shared it sound like your club face is slight closed. If the divot is on line but ball is left. That would mean slighted closed face. Try holding the face square and not releasing it. Also make sure you are not presenting a closed fave at address. If the grip is wrong there can be a tendency slowly close the face just prior to take away.

Remember that 1/2 shots are just that, half shots and tempo should be consistent based on the yardage needed. This just take practice on your part. I like to swing two wedges early in a practice session. Then I move to a single wedge and make sure it's only above the rear hip. This gives me my half swing distance. I add speed and face angle to adjust from there.

The beauty of half swings is they are very much arm swings. The body is preset open to the target and the arms flow toward the target. Based on what you've shared it sound like your club face is slight closed. If the divot is on line but ball is left. That would mean slighted closed face. Try holding the face square and not releasing it. Also make sure you are not presenting a closed fave at address. If the grip is wrong there can be a tendency slowly close the face just prior to take away.

Remember that 1/2 shots are just that, half shots and tempo should be consistent based on the yardage needed. This just take practice on your part. I like to swing two wedges early in a practice session. Then I move to a single wedge and make sure it's only above the rear hip. This gives me my half swing distance. I add speed and face angle to adjust from there.
Good Thoughts! I tend to transition quick on these, I think the two club drill could help with that. Thanks Freddie.

Good Thoughts! I tend to transition quick on these, I think the two club drill could help with that. Thanks Freddie.

I think you were gone when I was showing Nick how to hit this shot on Saturday, but it's exactly how Freddie explained it. I try to focus on keeping my right palm on the line, and my right wrist cupped through impact and then as I rotate through hold that so it faces up. I also try to keep my hands between my shoulders. Let the club do the work and make as smooth a turn with my upper body as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you were gone when I was showing Nick how to hit this shot on Saturday, but it's exactly how Freddie explained it. I try to focus on keeping my right palm on the line, and my right wrist cupped through impact and then as I rotate through hold that so it faces up. I also try to keep my hands between my shoulders. Let the club do the work and make as smooth a turn with my upper body as possible.

When I first started hitting this shot about two seasons ago I was very accurate with it. I think I need to focus on keeping the club in front of my chest. (Hands between shoulders). It's such a great shot when you can count on it. Good stuff to work on.

So, even when I am working into the net I can feel when I am flushing these and when I am hitting pulls. I am sure you can feel where the ball is going as much as you hit into your net. After hitting about 25 and really focusing on keeping the club in front of me and rotating, i think we are back in business. I think the holding off the face thought was not working for me because i was focused too much on hands, i was doing a good job of leading with them but i was stopping my hips making the problem worse, pull hooks.

So, even when I am working into the net I can feel when I am flushing these and when I am hitting pulls. I am sure you can feel where the ball is going as much as you hit into your net. After hitting about 25 and really focusing on keeping the club in front of me and rotating, i think we are back in business. I think the holding off the face thought was not working for me because i was focused too much on hands, i was doing a good job of leading with them but i was stopping my hips making the problem worse, pull hooks.

Interesting.. I happen to get the same thing at times, but for me what's weird is for the most part it's mostly with my gap wedge, which makes me think in addition to technique breaking down at times, maybe i should get the lie angle looked at.. To combat the pulls with the GW, i focus real hard on aiming right of target, and keeo turning through the shot..Like the thought you mentioned of keeoing hands in from of chest, so will try that later today and see if that helps for the GW.. Just weird that it's not a problem with my other wedges.. oh well...the quest continues

Interesting.. I happen to get the same thing at times, but for me what's weird is for the most part it's mostly with my gap wedge, which makes me think in addition to technique breaking down at times, maybe i should get the lie angle looked at.. To combat the pulls with the GW, i focus real hard on aiming right of target, and keeo turning through the shot..Like the thought you mentioned of keeoing hands in from of chest, so will try that later today and see if that helps for the GW.. Just weird that it's not a problem with my other wedges.. oh well...the quest continues

I would get those lofts/lies checked!

Back