NeverWiff

Reaction score
Handicap
13.4 GHIN
Question regarding putter length.... What is the method used to correctly determine putter length?

Not sure what my current putter is (i THINK 33” but feel I need to be a little more upright, especially for long practice sessions. (Lower back issues)

As for my height.... 5’ 10” maybe a little over (in golf shoes). Reading up on things seems to indicate I might be better off with a 34” or 34 1/2” putter? Thanks!!

I'm 5-10 and use a 34 inch putter. I assume it's the right length, since I tend to roll a lot of good putts with it.

As for back pains, if I practice too long, I can feel a slight twinge in my lower back. I know when it's time to quit.

Now, when playing, I've never had any back pain from rolling 28-38 putts during a round.

Health wise I have no back issues to speak of. Been lucky in that respect.

I’m 6’3 and have always used a 35” putter, seems just right

Lengthened mine to 35 as well, last fitting said I should be at 34 but when I've played that length I feel too hunched over & back prefers me to stand up a bit taller

I believe putter length can’t be determined strictly by your height. You have to determine what works for you. I’ve got some back issues. I’m 6’3”, after using a 34” putter my whole life, I lengthened my putter to 36” and it took a lot of strain off my back. I feel so much better after the round and I’ve been putting much better too.

I'm just under 5'10", and use a 34 inch putter. I think being able to use it in a comfortable position without back pain is the most important thing. It's not a full swing club, so the actual length is probably a less of a factor.

6' with some back issues and a 34" fits me well. The only time I start feeling some tightness is winter time when I practice a hour a day, 7 days a week. So all winter. 😎

What is the method used to correctly determine putter length?

Play a few rounds of golf with each length, for example a 33", 34", 35", and 36" putter. From a few rounds with each length you will learn which length is the best fit for you. To do it right you will need to use heavier head putters for the 33" and progressively lighter heads moving up to the 36" length, I like Cameron's former standard head weight to length ratio which was : 33"/350 grams, 34"/340 grams, 35"/330, 36"/320.

I'm 6' and use a 33". Have considered going even shorter. I have a 6'5" wingspan, so my reach puts me in a comfortable position. Longer putters feel difficult to control because I have my arms too high.

I'm 6'4 and use 35.25" putter length. I didn't do anything fancy to figure out what length to use. I glued in the shaft and before I cut and put the grip on, I got in my posture and gripped it where I was comfortable and made the sharpie mark there then rounded it to the 1/4" in case I order a putter in the future. Once it was cut and gripped I bent the head to my liking.

So I'm 5'5" and I use a flow-neck putter with a pretty arcing stroke, and while the putter is 34" I index at a spot where I take ~.5" off the length by gripping at the edge of the smooth spot of the logo on my Rosemark grip. It's just where I feel most comfortable.

I am around 5' 10" and I have tried 33, 34, and 35 and I keep coming back to the 35" putter. I notice when I use anything shorter my hands have no free area at the top of the handle and feels awkward. Thinking about a fitting next month just to see the data.

I think it has much more to do with your setup and grip then just height. If you watch the tour today, notice how some guys have firm looking left arms and setup to a putt more like a wedge shot whereas others might have hands tight to body.

My putter is 32 inches and three degree's upright. I'm 6'1 and have a bad back. I putt with an almost bryson like straight left arm and with my right hand overlapping my left hand in a prayer grip. All this means I am upright like my gap wedge at setup. by accident I found the prayer grip putting with a 34 inch putter one day at practice green. best stroke of luck I've ever had to be honest.

I’m 5’ 10” tall and use a 33 1/2” putter. I take my normal putting stance and let my arms gang naturally. This has worked well for me over the years. At this length, I don’t have to manipulate anything in my swing and it just feels natural.

If you've got a store near you that has a good stock of different lengths just go check them out.

I'm 6'2" and play a 35 inch putter. Might actually go longer on the next upgrade though as I do tend to have a tight back as well.

Question regarding putter length.... What is the method used to correctly determine putter length?

Not sure what my current putter is (i THINK 33” but feel I need to be a little more upright, especially for long practice sessions. (Lower back issues)

As for my height.... 5’ 10” maybe a little over (in golf shoes). Reading up on things seems to indicate I might be better off with a 34” or 34 1/2” putter? Thanks!!
Some go by measuring wrist to floor length but I personally dont think thats the end-all, be-all because everyones' posture is different. If you are more upright vs if you are more slouched over, it can make a big difference in what length putter you should probably have.
Personally, Im 5' 10", have a pretty upright putting stance and I play 34". A number of years ago, I had a much more hunched over putting stance (much like Jack back in the day) and I played a 33".

I don't know the best way to determine correct length.

I'm 5'11" and use a 33" putter. For one, I keep my arms straight in my putting stroke; otherwise there would be more inconsistencies in my stroke. When I did a putter fitting at Club Champion, the fitter said a case could be made for a longer putter, but he couldn't argue with the results I was getting with my current putter after he adjusted the loft to 3.5 degrees. I tried a 35" putter, but the results were not better.

32.5" for me to keep the arms straight and the wrists quiet. Nose directly above the ball

I must be WAY upright in my putting stance...

i found an old putter that is bone stock and never re-gripped. It was very defniitely marked 34” from the manufacturer Put it up against my current Odyssey and the Odyssey turned out to be an inch longer, so that’s 35”!! 😳

TBH, I think I’d even be comfortable going an extra half inch MORE in length. (Definitely not any shorter than the 35”). Crazy.... I’m average height, if not a tad shorter, and definitely not sporting a pair of T-Rex arms..... So.... i dunno.

Guess I’m gonna have to break down and see if i can get fit..... or at the very least find a place with a great selection to try....

I think it is dependent on setup. You need to have your eyes in the appropriate spot when set up. After that how much you bend over and how your arms hang can impact how long your putter should be.

I played a 35” putter the last couple of years and wasn’t that happy with my putting. I think I got my eyes too far inside the ball to see and get the ball on the right line. I went to a shorter putter and moved a bit closer to the ball and I feel like I am getting the ball on line a bit better. It is early in the season yet so we will see how it works out.

Depends on your setup and arm length, etc.

If you bend over in a traditional manner, then probably less length - try 34 inches and see if it's comfortable.

I am 6 ft, am more upright than most (see Pat O'Brien setup or Zach Johnson as upright), and I get a 34.75-35 inch putter and grip down slightly. Could do 34.5 inches but prefer a tad more to grip down. My back thanks me.

Last edited:
I’m 6’ and I’ve settled on a 34” putter for now. For me it was all about comfort and consistency. I tried 4 putters, all ranging between 33” and 35” with virtually the same flow over the course of the last two seasons and found I was best with the 34”.

5'9" with longish arms (6' wingspan) and use 33". I have a 34" blade but have to grip down a bit. Really feel comfortable at 33"

I'm 5'10" and switch between a 33" and 34" depending on how my back is feeling, I prefer the slightly shorter version but can't practice for hours with it.

I’m 5’9” and just did a putter fitting at CC.
I’ve always played 34” blades, flow neck and plumbers neck, or #9 heads.
Fitting showed my eyes way inside the ball.
Recommended 33” mallet w/ toe hang.....shocked. Also added loft to 4.5*
I had them cut my current gamer to 33” to see how it goes, but two practice sessions later I can see and feel a difference in getting my putts on line, whereas I used to really struggle with right to left breakers.
I’ll post a little about my CC fitting in that thread later.
Right now I’m looking for a mallet that isn‘t distracting to look at....

Back