dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I started keeping track of all my putts this year. I've tried this in the past, but gave up as I didn't have a good tracking system in place. Now I've got a spreadsheet that I can update immediately after my round right on my phone.

Do you keep track of your putting average? Is it even important to you? What is your average?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

So after 7 rounds (this is total 18 hole rounds, but includes 9 hole rounds put together) this year, here is where my average sits. I've been using a Scotty Cameron putter that I haven't touched out on the course in a very long time. So far, the results have been good. Now to get the rest of my game in order. ?

86cd75c63ddd7426c231f70fc8fee122.jpg

Golfshot keeps track of them for me. Over all the rounds posted my average is 1.8.

Golfshot keeps track of them for me. Over all the rounds posted my average is 1.8.
Nice!! I wish I had an app that was simple enough for my head. I like just writing it down in the scorecard.

Even though I think it's a misleading stat, I still write down how many putts I take each hole. I sometimes add them up at the end, I usually don't. I don't keep track of an average.

Sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't. Just depends how I feel.

Even though I think it's a misleading stat, I still write down how many putts I take each hole. I sometimes add them up at the end, I usually don't. I don't keep track of an average.
I think it's somewhat misleading, but I'm still going to keep track to see how I progress. I figure chipping and putting are a team, so of my putts are down I'm doing both well.

It's kept on my GPS and I look at it after the round.

I keep track of all the stats, GIRs, Fairways, putts, sand, etc just to see what needs improvement. Currently it's that second shot that is most important to me.

Putting Average

Although Golfshot keeps them, I don't really pay much attention. A low total number of putts for me usually means I've missed the green and chipped close. The number I really keep track of is GIR. It's pretty low. All my best rounds tend to be when it's higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than looking at how many I had for the round and compare it to score on the hole don't track them. One day I may hit a bunch of greens and have a bunch of two putt pars and other days I may miss the greens and have several 1 putts.

I think it's somewhat misleading, but I'm still going to keep track to see how I progress. I figure chipping and putting are a team, so of my putts are down I'm doing both well.

Quit missing greens on purpose...:alien:

I need to track my stats but I cant focus long enough to fin

hey, you playing this weekend?

I keep track. Number of putts, length of each putt. So I know my average on posted rounds last year was 31.2 putts per round. Proximity for first putt was 18.1ft. 'Problem' is that last year I hit more greens than normal. Usually I miss greens a lot and am really good with my wedge so am inside 6ft for my 1st putt. I badly need to work on green reading. I'm good at starting putts on line and with good speed, but am terrible at reading proper break.

I don't really care for the total amount of putts, but I do love putts/hole and putts/GIR stats as they individually track how my short game is and proximity to the hole on my approaches.

Golfshot is great for both and I enjoy and appreciate have both of these stats at my fingertips.
0400633dc44271c1b63be24d627f0d45.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quit missing greens on purpose...:alien:

I need to track my stats but I cant focus long enough to fin

hey, you playing this weekend?
Ha I'd like to play. No plans as of yet. Saturday's weather looks grim

slightly under 36 putts per round is probably the average. I've definitely reduced 3 putts, not sure I get that many one putts (though increasing the number of 1 putts would basically greatly increase the number of birdies I get per round).

~Rock

My Arcco tells me it's 2.07 putts per hole. There is a lot of room for improvement but I think my approach needs just as much help.

I look at it post round, but don't focus on an average. Main thing I look at is # of 3 putts. If I have none, I probably had a pretty good day on the greens.

I will keep track of how many putts I make per game when I am trying out a new putter. On 18 holes, anything under 36 is good. Tim

To look at putt count alone I think it is very misleading. For instance, my best putting days are not those with the fewest strokes. Rather my best putting days are when I am banging in 1 or two putts from long range. My fewest putt count days are those where my short game is on and I am leaving myself very shot putts to get home.

Putts is just a stat. You need to know why it is up or down to make the info actionable.

My average for 2017 is 1.8 putts per hole. I'd like to keep it below 2.0 because once my GIR goes up, that means I've got a much better shot at making par. I know people say that these stats can be skewed for one reason or another, but I think things average out over time. If I'm bad with the putter, it's not going to be completely masked because I'm always missing greens and chipping it close.

I used to keep track of putts per round and putts per GIR. Don't play as much anymore, so no need to keep track of it all now.

To me, it's the one stat that is directly related to score. Lower the number of putts, lower the score. Doesnt matter how it happens, just get the number down. While I agree, that there are extremes that can throw that theory off, on average for a number of rounds, total putts is very telling. Lower the total putts per round average, scores will go down as well.

I track how many putts and sometimes feet of putts made. 3 putt avoidance is one of the most important stats for any level golfer.

I started keeping track a few months ago. For the last 20 full rounds, I'm averaging 1.758 putts/hole. But I agree with Tahoebum. 3 putt avoidance is probably the most important thing on the greens. Speed control... :D

Back