Putting. Getting back to basics

m3golfjackson

Reaction score
Handicap
For most of my golf life I have been a great putter while the rest of my game struggled. The last few years I've worked so hard on the rest of my game that I've almost forgotten how to putt and it's become somewhat of a struggle for me. I've gone through about 5 putters in a year. But, I'm realizing it's likely user error and not the putters fault.

Simple question: What was your lightbulb moment that turned around your putting in recent years?

i went to a SAMM fitting and found a putter that work perfectly with the stroke that felt comfortable to me rather trying to conform my stroke to a putter I wanted to play.

Once that happened, I immediately felt more at ease on the greens since I knew I had factual information to back up what putter I had in the back and I could focus on tempo because everything else was perfect.

Find the putter shape, hosel and offset that work for you as a starter.

I went to a vid on youtube under Mike Shannon putting - there is a lesson vid that is gold.

Hi,

Just a thought, if you used to be a good putter, maybe you could try getting back to what you did when you putted your best? I often find myself becoming too technical and overthinking things in my putting, and that never ends good for me. But getting back to a putter I know I used to putt well with and trying to get back into roughly the same setup position I used to have with that putter, and than just trying to roll the ball towards the hole with no other stroke thoughts helps for me. Not thinking about what muscle groups are doing what or how the putter head is moving, but again just trying to role the ball towards the hole.

Sounds obvious and you probably have already tried this, but thought it might be worth mentioning anyways.

First thought is, get a putter that's fitted for you (as Alez367 suggested too). I'm a big fan of putter fittings, and as of this moment, it's the only custom fitted club in my bag.

Second thought, take a lesson with your local club pro. Probably just an hour of "back to the basics" will help out. After all, the major league baseball players do it every spring (Spring Training) as do most major sports.

Well I had an off putting year last year. Actually, I had a great start, but by mid-June, it was awful. I blame it on lack of concentration or caring.

~Rock

I'm putting with a 30+ year old putter. Thing is, I have confidence in it. I just started back into this last fall after 30 yrs of not playing. I find that I do ok if I follow my "putting" routine every time. It's when I don't follow that routine that I 3 or4 putt. It helps put mental distance between my pulled drive, topped fairway, trenched pitch, frustrations leading up to the putt. Actually, I wish I had as effective of a routine for each shot so that I could blank out what last happened and just focus on the here and now all the time.

The only lasting improvement in my putting in the last 25 years came when I started looking at the hole on all but the longest putts. I have dozens of putting aids and putters and I can putt with just about any grip(cross handed, claw, pencil, double overlap, 10 finger, Kuchar style anchored) or style of putter. Looking at the hole on all putts under 40 feet is finally what got me making more putts. I’m excited to have the possibility now of becoming a great putter, something that has eluded me for 40 years.

Mine was as simple as adding a small forward press this year.

The only lasting improvement in my putting in the last 25 years came when I started looking at the hole on all but the longest putts. I have dozens of putting aids and putters and I can putt with just about any grip(cross handed, claw, pencil, double overlap, 10 finger, Kuchar style anchored) or style of putter. Looking at the hole on all putts under 40 feet is finally what got me making more putts. I’m excited to have the possibility now of becoming a great putter, something that has eluded me for 40 years.

So, you: look at hole, look at putter/ball, look at hole, putt?

For me my "light bulb moment" has been keeping my eyes on the ball and not watching the putterhead go back and forth. I also focus on stroking the putter down the line through the front of the ball, if that makes sense.

Mine was when a good friend of mine (and VERY good player) took a few minutes on the 9th hole after we putted out (nobody was waiting in the fairway behind us yet). He explained greens, the turf, the direction of the grass blades, and we quickly practiced putting before moving on to the 10th tee.

It was there that something clicked, and I had that "Ah Ha!" moment... :smile:

So, you: look at hole, look at putter/ball, look at hole, putt?

I start by standing 90* to my intended line behind the ball and take a couple practice strokes while looking at the hole and the line. I then step in to address the ball while still having my eyes focused on the spot on my intended line, I then look at the ball briefly for maybe a second or two and then look back at the hole while adjusting my feet/shoulders to my intended line and then hit it. The whole process including reading the putt before I start my routine doesn’t take longer than 30 seconds. For decades I tried everything to improve my putting including long putter, belly putter, Seemore method, SAM fitting, Edel fitting, etc.

Looking at the hole is the only thing that has really made me a better putter. In fact yesterday I made 90 feet of putts during my round which in the past was something that would only happen once or twice per year. My guess is that it has put my attention more on the distance/speed and aligning my body to the line and away from being hyper-focused on the blade orientation to my target. To me, it feels like my putting is more natural and athletic and less mechanical. In a way, it makes sense, in other hobbies that require accuracy such as darts and billiards I’m looking mostly at my target, not the dart or the cue ball.

Last edited:
I would not say I have 'turned it around' yet but I had a light bulb moment after reading an article talking about which hand is the more dominant one. I realized that I have been trying to force left hand dominant putting because that is what a lot of online articles and even book advocate. I basically changed my putting grip and action completely to suit a more right hand dominant putting action. Now, this was done only within the last week and while I have practiced with it for a bit it has been used in only 1 round. I had 29 putts in that round and while I have had some good putting rounds like that in the past this action/motion/grip has felt the most natural and smooth to me yet.

i went to a SAMM fitting and found a putter that work perfectly with the stroke that felt comfortable to me rather trying to conform my stroke to a putter I wanted to play.

Once that happened, I immediately felt more at ease on the greens since I knew I had factual information to back up what putter I had in the back and I could focus on tempo because everything else was perfect.

I actually did the SAMM fitting just before the winter so I'm just getting back out on the course. It was a long winter. What I told myself over the winter is that I'm going to stick with this putter and figure it out! No switching all season long.

Hi,

Just a thought, if you used to be a good putter, maybe you could try getting back to what you did when you putted your best? I often find myself becoming too technical and overthinking things in my putting, and that never ends good for me. But getting back to a putter I know I used to putt well with and trying to get back into roughly the same setup position I used to have with that putter, and than just trying to roll the ball towards the hole with no other stroke thoughts helps for me. Not thinking about what muscle groups are doing what or how the putter head is moving, but again just trying to role the ball towards the hole.

Sounds obvious and you probably have already tried this, but thought it might be worth mentioning anyways.

This is extremely good advice for me. Thank you. I think I have gotten too technical on the greens because I want to think I can make everything, but I really just need to make my best possible stroke. "Roll the ball towards the hole with no other swing thoughts," that's a great way to keep it simple. I read a little bit about what Stricker does and basically he just gets in position and swings the putter without worry.

I start by standing 90* to my intended line behind the ball and take a couple practice strokes while looking at the hole and the line. I then step in to address the ball while still having my eyes focused on the spot on my intended line, I then look at the ball briefly for maybe a second or two and then look back at the hole while adjusting my feet/shoulders to my intended line and then hit it. The whole process including reading the putt before I start my routine doesn’t take longer than 30 seconds. For decades I tried everything to improve my putting including long putter, belly putter, Seemore method, SAM fitting, Edel fitting, etc.

^^ I like this ^^. Typically, I draw a line down from the actual target to a blade of grass / dirt / etc. 3-6 inches in front of ball and walk up and put club face towards grass / dirt / etc. target, then align stance / shoulders with club face, then look back at actual target, then back down and swing. I've also heard that a more sole focus on actual target is good (more similar to what you mentioned I think). My current routine on alignment is the same across my bag, each and every time, but what feels most natural (putter or not) is to start behind ball, look at actual target and walk up with sights set on actual target, then down for an over the ball set up alignment to actual target, then back at actual target, then down and swing. Problem is, I'm right eye dominant and I think this has an affect on my "feels natural" approach and ends up putting me pointed a bit left of target, not 100% sure. How far away is the spot you refer to on the intended target line? Do you have a similar alignment shot method for chips / full swings?

This is extremely good advice for me. Thank you. I think I have gotten too technical on the greens because I want to think I can make everything, but I really just need to make my best possible stroke. "Roll the ball towards the hole with no other swing thoughts," that's a great way to keep it simple. I read a little bit about what Stricker does and basically he just gets in position and swings the putter without worry.

not sure if it will help but what helped me was to eliminate focusing on my alignment by using truvis balls instead of marking a straight line on my ball. My OCD wouldn't let me get comfortable because I felt like I needed to make sure my line was correct instead of trusting my comfort over the putt. You dont have to actually use the truvis balls in rounds but warming up I focus on getting the ball rolling end over end and keeping a consistent tempo. The feedback let me know I was set for the course and could trust my roll that day. Just thought I would point that out incase it could work for you.

not sure if it will help but what helped me was to eliminate focusing on my alignment by using truvis balls instead of marking a straight line on my ball. My OCD wouldn't let me get comfortable because I felt like I needed to make sure my line was correct instead of trusting my comfort over the putt. You dont have to actually use the truvis balls in rounds but warming up I focus on getting the ball rolling end over end and keeping a consistent tempo. The feedback let me know I was set for the course and could trust my roll that day. Just thought I would point that out incase it could work for you.

I put a solid line down my ball but only use it on shorter putts <10ft that are dead straight, otherwise I just set the ball down.

I just posted this elsewhere, but saw this topic.....

For long putts: I lay a club about 3 feet behind a hole on the putting green. Then I throw down 5 to 10 balls and attempt long putts. If I make the putt, or if I keep the putt from hitting the club behind the hole,that's a "good putt" (as long as it's not WAY short, either...it's gotta be within a foot, roughly, of the front of the hole). Any poor putts I call a "miss". I do separately write down any "real" makes (in the cup) but count them all in a category with "good putts"

So as an example:

last summer I did a round from 20 ft or so....this was my first time doing it (July 29). I took 42 total long putts and had 12 misses (or balls that either didn't go in the cup, or they firmly hit the club behind the hole, or came up way short). I had one in the hole which I marked down just to let me know "hey I made one".

But with 12 misses, I had 30 "good putts", for a 71% rate of acceptable putts.

For shorter putts, usually 6-ish feet, I will do the same but on a pure make/miss percentage (it's either in the hole, or not). So that same date, I took 30 short putts and missed 8 for a 73% success rate.

you'd be amazed how poorly it can go with the short ones....I won't even post it here. haha.....let's just say the 73% I just mentioned was my best session last summer.

It's a game you can play with yourself basically, where you're trying to beat your best percentage, etc. I like to make it a game, because it makes you zone in a little and "compete" as you don't want to go from 75% one week to 45% the next. And zoning in to compete makes it more like a real round, where you're going to (hopefully) be more locked in than just knocking balls around on the practice green.

My best putting is when all of my focus is on getting the ball to roll end over end. I do this before every tournament (before I tee off) and it's basically all of the putting practice I ever do.

To practice this I use a flat or slight breaking putt from 15 feet and use the line on my ball as my alignment aid. I hit putts from this distance (making tiny adjustments when necessary) till I'm confident I'm rolling it the way I want to (no wobble at all on the line). I take this exact feel onto the course and apply it for putts inside 20 feet. *For long putts I am much more feel oriented because I'm just going for a lag putt*

Over the years I've noticed a setup similar to Steve Stricker gives me the most consistent roll from day to day. I'm very rigid and upright. This setup works for me but may not work for you and that is ok.

I would advocate that you try this method of doing whatever it takes (even if it looks funky) in your setup and stroke to get the ball rolling end over end. If this is totally polar opposite of what you do now, take the overall theme of focusing all of your thoughts and energy on your putts to one thing. It's a confident feeling knowing you will (the majority of the time) start the ball on line.

I would also think about your mentality with putting in general. Are you trying to make putts or are you worried about the comeback putt?

My best putting is when all of my focus is on getting the ball to roll end over end. I do this before every tournament (before I tee off) and it's basically all of the putting practice I ever do.

To practice this I use a flat or slight breaking putt from 15 feet and use the line on my ball as my alignment aid. I hit putts from this distance (making tiny adjustments when necessary) till I'm confident I'm rolling it the way I want to (no wobble at all on the line). I take this exact feel onto the course and apply it for putts inside 20 feet. *For long putts I am much more feel oriented because I'm just going for a lag putt*

Over the years I've noticed a setup similar to Steve Stricker gives me the most consistent roll from day to day. I'm very rigid and upright. This setup works for me but may not work for you and that is ok.

I would advocate that you try this method of doing whatever it takes (even if it looks funky) in your setup and stroke to get the ball rolling end over end. If this is totally polar opposite of what you do now, take the overall theme of focusing all of your thoughts and energy on your putts to one thing. It's a confident feeling knowing you will (the majority of the time) start the ball on line.

I would also think about your mentality with putting in general. Are you trying to make putts or are you worried about the comeback putt?

Someone mentioned something similar to this in a previous post. Get that ball rolling end over end and I like that idea. I worked on that a little last night on the putting green and will try again during my next practice session.

I've never worried about a comeback putt. I'm trying to make everything. I won't be satisfied until I start making a ton of putts again!

Simple question: What was your lightbulb moment that turned around your putting in recent years?

For me it's been a more upright stance and more inward pressure on my elbows. It seems to have"quited" down my putting stroke. Oh one other change for my setup is that I now only have the toe of the putter touching the ground. The heel is up a bit. It seems to catch less on the swing and it raises the center of the putter which results in less ball hop.

Last edited:
After playing a 34" putter for almost 4 years and getting the opportunity to try a different putter I went with a 33". I have been concentrating on mechanics, stroke, SBST, keeping the face square, ect only to be the worst putter on the planet and leave so many strokes on the greens. Its so frustrating. After reading Dave Stocktons Unconscious Putting book and listening to Larry Rinker on XM Radio about a month ago talking about how he cant stand someone that's a stiff board while setting up to putt and during the stroke thinking about rocking yoru shoulders, maintaining the triangle, ect. They both talked about just keeping it natural and using your hands and use your feel when putting to roll the ball. I went with the 33" to get a little smaller putter in my hands and I will be honest it was a little awkward at first but I don't get up and think about 20 different things before I putt. I pick my line, setup, set my hands, and roll the ball. I have been seeing much better results especially on shorter putts. I used to be the worlds worst at 4-6 ft putts now I just think about rolling the ball in the hole. I love it and I have been slowly getting my confidence back on the greens. Our greens at my club are pretty tough with a lot of slope to them so putting is a big key to scoring decent there.

For me it's been a more upright stance and more inward pressure on my elbows. It seems to have"quited" down my putting stroke. Oh one other change for my setup is that I now only have the toe of the putter touching the ground. The heel is up a bit. It seems to catch less on the swing and it raises the center of the putter which results in less ball hop.

A friend of mine did exactly what you just described last year and turned into a putting machine! However, I found that it does not work for me. I like my bad posture!

Back