Chump Fries

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Andy,

My current area of struggle is with my putting. The greens on my current course are very fast and I just can't seem to slow the ball down. I use a 34" Scotty Squareback, and I have a toe-up straight back and through putting style.

I really have no touch. I leave 4 footers 2 feet past, 10 footers 3 feet past, etc. It's not too uncommon for me to have a 5 foot downhill putt that ends up 10 feet past the hole. Do you have any tips for someone who puts too hard?

Also, I've been playing well since I've been on here last. I've been in the upper 80s this summer and have only been playing a bit over a year, so all your tips last year have really paid off :)

Thanks for the time,
C

The one thing that cannot be taught is feel. My best advice for getting feel for greens and distance control is to practice your putts while looking at the hole. This will get you hands and eyes on the same page. For downhill putts instead of hitting the putt in the sweet spot of the putter hit it out on the toe. This will help deaden the putt.

Andy,

What do you recommend for the "power source" while putting. I have a pretty traditional setup and try to use my shoulders to power the stroke. On short putts, my shoulder power seems stiff and inconsistent.

Thanks,
C

I have that very same problem and have found my best putting is in the morning when the greens are slowest. Interested in seeing answers

:angel:Have you tried the ladder drill on the practice green. Putt from increasing distances from the cup perhaps 5 to 6 balls each location. Another drill is to lok at the hole--fronm 5 to 10 feet out while stroking the putt.

Your gonna have to learn the speed control to be a good putter. The first decision when pondering holing a putt is the speed. that dictates the amount of break play. Perhaps this is a Captain Obvious statement. If so sorry!!:bulgy-eyes:

Bucky is right. Now for people who have inconsistant speed and feel the first thing I look at is the length of the backstroke. Next time you are on the practice green set up this little practice station. Set 2 clubs on the ground parallel to each other just wider than your putter (to act as a track for your stroke). Mark a spot to place the ball in the same spot each time (about 5-7 feet from the hole). Place your putter behind the ball, and then stick a tee in the green 6 inches behind your putter head. This will force you to take a shorter backswing. On a putt of this length you should be able to make this stroke and not touch the tee. Give this a try and let me know how it goes.

Back