vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My recent putter woes has me thinking if I am even using the right putter style for my skill set?

Current putter is Cleveland Frontline 4.0 blade. I do have an older Odyssey 2 Ball SRT putter that I can put into play to try out.

Does it matter if using a blade vs. mallet style?

I believe it’s based on swing type. I tend to push the ball left. I bought a inexpensive putting gizmo that has straight lines on it. I actually have to practice to putt it straight. Sometimes starting from 4 ft and working back to 8. This will definitely help me. I was rarely getting the ball on the line I wanted to. Now I can see it on the line I want, or I mishit it.

It’s more then just head shapes. The neck is important too as well as some other technical factors I can’t get clarity but others more knowledge probably can. My putting woes were fixed by a combination of things. I changed to a claw style grip which kept my right hand from taking over. I also noticed I had a habit of looking up to see where the putt was going right before or at contact. I now keep my head down until the ball is well away. I did make a putter change as well. I guess my point is it could be a plethora of variables that is hurting your putting. Might want to go see a pro to work on just putting and have them bring several different putters if they can.

Mallet and blades are very different

it’s more than just that though

mallet tends to have more forgiveness

also toe hang can differ from models - really is based on your stroke

i do well with more toe hang, and I’ve settled on a #9 head that is working quite well

+1 for swing type. I’ve tried face balanced and putters with toe flow of varying degrees, and that’s what I found to make the most difference. I don’t have very much arc in my swing so a slight toe flow seems to work best right now. The other factors for me are MOI and putter length... I think you can get any combination of these in either blade or mallet, so it’s about what’s suiting your eye.
I’ve read that some people feel very strongly about mallet use though.

If at all possible try to do a putter fitting to figure out what kinds of shape/style would best fit your stroke. If that's not possible I would try going to a store and try out several options and see what feels the best and seems to give you the best results.

I played a face balanced mallet for years only to find out I should have been using a putter with toe hang. Ever since switching my putting has improved a ton.

Well what's your stroke like? I've tried that frontline and I think it's about 45* toe hang. That 2- ball should be face balanced. So a toe hang blade and a face balanced mallet are pretty darn different. Did you used to use the mallet, and then switched to the blade? I'm curious why you have what you have, and why you think/thought it was right for you?

Yes! I feel like I can keep the ball more square with the mallet vs the blade.

I think toehang is more important mechanically than head shape.

Its really all just what you like, IMO. Some people like mallets, some people like blades. Some would argue that mallets are better if you have more of a straight back, straight through swing and because by their very design, they are easier to aim and more forgiving.
I personally prefer blades because I think they have more and better feel. The putter tells me when Ive hit a good putt and gives me feedback, something which I feel a mallet does not do.
So, that begs the question: who is right and who is wrong?

I would suggest a putter fitting. This will ID all aspects of your putting and tell you exactly what you'll need in a putter such as lie and loft and whether you need a blade or mallet. I really had my eyes open when I had my putter fitting last month. :unsure:

Last edited:
A putting lesson is money well spent,for sure.

If at all possible try to do a putter fitting to figure out what kinds of shape/style would best fit your stroke. If that's not possible I would try going to a store and try out several options and see what feels the best and seems to give you the best results.

I played a face balanced mallet for years only to find out I should have been using a putter with toe hang. Ever since switching my putting has improved a ton.
This, get a fitting if possible. I was a blade player and still am but was shown the differences and was able to see the benefit of using a mallet type putter. I am not talking a huge mallet, but a mallet of sorts. If you like a blade but want some forgiveness, look at a doublewide.

My recent putter woes has me thinking if I am even using the right putter style for my skill set?

Current putter is Cleveland Frontline 4.0 blade. I do have an older Odyssey 2 Ball SRT putter that I can put into play to try out.

Does it matter if using a blade vs. mallet style?
I believe there's a perfect profile for every putter.

Have you ever gotten fit before? I learned an absolute ton about my stroke at Club Champion using SAM Putt Lab.

Well what's your stroke like? I've tried that frontline and I think it's about 45* toe hang. That 2- ball should be face balanced. So a toe hang blade and a face balanced mallet are pretty darn different. Did you used to use the mallet, and then switched to the blade? I'm curious why you have what you have, and why you think/thought it was right for you?

I have the Frontline as I won it here via a contest. The 2 ball putter I bought when I started back golfing this past summer from someone locally. Nothing educated as far as reasoning for using or getting the 2 ball.

Have been using the Frontline since I won it.

Will certainly need totry the 2 ball again and see how it does compared to the Frontline. Then, go try some out at a store and finally get fit for one.

I have a free iron fitting at Truespec that I can still utilize, and will get a putter fitting at same time some time in the next few months.

it matters relative to your stroke. Putting has 3 elements; (1) line, (2) speed and (3) ability to hit a ball flush. the line around the ball has for me been a very big help because it helps me line up the putt then see if I hit it flush. A putt hit flush will roll end over end. The putter type and length comes in when one lets you hit if flush time and time again. Shorter face balanced putters work for me but every person will be different.

Like I told my playing partner on Sunday- ball don't lie. You see that ball rolling on a tight spiral and the putter has done its job. The direction to hit it is on the golfer.

I have the Frontline as I won it here via a contest. The 2 ball putter I bought when I started back golfing this past summer from someone locally. Nothing educated as far as reasoning for using or getting the 2 ball.

Have been using the Frontline since I won it.

Will certainly need to try the 2 ball again and see how it does compared to the Frontline. Then, go try some out at a store and finally get fit for one.

I have a free iron fitting at Truespec that I can still utilize, and will get a putter fitting at same time some time in the next few months.
Gave the 2 Ball SRT another try this past weekend, and took a few holes to adjust to it, felt like it was just too heavy maybe. Didn't really have a good feel with it all day though. So, still back to square one on the putter. The Triple Track is really intriguing as far as new stuff coming out, but know I will benefit most from the fitting process for one.

Back