PXG lays off 125 Employees

It's always difficult for me to be flippant when people lose their jobs and their livelihoods. It is very hard for those that are impacted, some (most) may have some very transferrable skills but there are always going to be those that do not and that is where it's very difficult. Not everyone has a nest egg they can fall back on while they search for their next opportunity.

There is nothing unusual about RIF or even WARN act's that occur over zoom in todays climate. With people working remotely the virtual sessions are going to be a way of life for us for a long time now; I think I would view it very differently if this were 5 years ago before COVID and the virtual boom, but most people were in office or on site at that time too.

I'm sorry there is loss, I've offered it before here but if anyone was impacted on this site I am more than happy to help from a HR perspective whether it's resume, cover letter or how-to support.

Having called them many times in the past when I played some of their stuff - I do wonder if the layoffs aren't targeted to the 'phone' fitters who (from my limited experience) seem to have odd hours, other jobs, and at times have no idea what they were doing. I am not trying to judge the phone sales people - just as I said limited experience - and at times my limited knowledge was better than theirs.

If it's these people - then while it still 100% sucks (I have been laid off when we lost contracts more than once, so I get it). Anyway, just saying, on the other hand they could have kaboomed the entire advertising budget and likely kept the 125 people on staff.

#1 I feel for the people who were laid off. That sucks. As far as PXG, I have been baffled by them from the beginning. Did a fitting with a visiting PXG rep in recent years as favor to a local shop. Nobody signed up. Rep sounded as confused as anyone. He was ranting about pricing and such. That’s never a good sign.

Let’s see if the physical locations close, might be a sign of over expansion and a drift from their online selling model.
Told someone the other day that there is 3 PXG fitting locations within 50 miles of my house.
For a Fitting, Customer Service and Overall Experience, the locations are awesome.
Don't know if they are making any money however to get 100% of your customer attention, they do that.

According to the article, half the people were in retail location and the others across every division.

First and foremost, thoughts go out to those impacted. As the post above says very well, getting laid off impacts people and their livlihood, many who are not be able to financially the weather storm as well as those making the decision. The silver lining is overall employment picture is still good and hopefully they all land on their feet soon.

It's hard to try to extrapolate much more out of that. Parsons is a billionaire who is running this company on his own whims without the traditional market forces of a publicly owned or financially limited company.

The retail store model is unique. You get a chance to custom fit players to your equipment as a DTC company. No matter how good your online fitters are, people want to hit balls. And having been through a couple of fitting sessions at their store, it's an experience. Everything about the stores exude this is a first class fitting experience from a bells/whistles standpoint.

Ultimately it comes down to equipment though. I got fit for a driver. The head was nice enough, but the shaft options were limited. We went with something that worked well when I flushed it...but was wilder than I liked. The irons didn't beat the Srixons I had. I didn't like the FW woods. I did get a putter though, and absolutely love it.

It's a lot of overhead that will pay off if you sell a lot of clubs.

Never a good thing to hear about layoffs. Feel for those that lost their lively income and hope they find another quickly.

I just struggle to see who PXG is trying to appeal to these days. Like who the real target audience is.

not a nice way to fire folks.

Hate it for those who lost their jobs.

I wonder how many of those who were fired by Zoom work from home.

It's unfortunate that it seems that corporate America only has one cost control tool and that is the lay-off. 4th quarter financials just came out for most companies so this is somewhat predictable.

Years and years ago, layoffs and "downsizing" were looked upon negatively. Now it seems the market views these things as a positive! Go figure.

Back