Question about ball spin and drivers.

I have pretty good control of my trajectory, but in general I prefer the drive that drop and hop with a bit of roll. Most courses I play are target golf type fairways with some severe slope one way or another, and lots of blind landing. I prefer drives are usually high 10 yard draw, with little roll. Lots of the rolls come from the use of slope not from flat trajectory drives. I'd take extra carry over extra rolls any day.
Surely slopes play their parts. But some of my longest drives ever have often come from a penetrating (mid/low) ball flight combined with firmer fairways and that's even happened when slight uphill as well. Not wormburner low of course..lol, but shallower than mid.
The shallower angle of descent of a somewhat penetrating flight can work to go a long way vs dropping in from higher up.

I cranked my loft up to 11° today and hit some of my best drives. These had some run after landing, too.

We had 3" of rain yesterday morning, so everything is lush and soggy.
I have hit low drives that seemed to run forever. They were only 30 ft off of the ground.
I was surprised to watch the long drive championship, and the winners were hitting airplane high fades.
When they hit the ground, the ball shifted into overdrive!!

Surely slopes play their parts. But some of my longest drives ever have often come from a penetrating (mid/low) ball flight combined with firmer fairways and that's even happened when slight uphill as well. Not wormburner low of course..lol, but shallower than mid.
The shallower angle of descent of a somewhat penetrating flight can work to go a long way vs dropping in from higher up.

Yeah my longest drive is about the same where I run the ball too. I don't really play that type of course, my home course is a tight and narrow course on the hill where most holes, plus bunkers and water to make it interesting. A few of the courses I like to play are also similar courses where accuracy off the tee is premium.

Playing my brother home course was not as much fun because it's wide open and long. 2-3 of the par 4 requires lay up because it's as long as par 5. I do plan for the drive to roll.

Like lay ups when you miss the drive or even if you hit a good one it is a lay up?

Like lay ups when you miss the drive or even if you hit a good one it is a lay up?

Well the first par 5 is 480 yards, one of the par 4 1hdcp hole is 489. So my 240 yards drive usually still leaves me about 250 to the middle of the green. My 5 wood avg is 220 max at 240. So I usually hit a 5 wd or 5hy.

Another long par 4 is slight uphill 440 but it's guarded by bunkers on both side to a small green, easier to approach with a wedge.

Back