Question about W/S FG Tour F5 iron shafts

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
I'm getting a set to FG Tour F5 irons from a vendor. Should have them by next week. The shafts are DG 115 regular . I emailed him asking if they were DG XP 115 shafts and he said they were DG 115's. Couldn't find that shaft on True Temper's website. Those of you that play the F5's, what True Temper shafts are with your set?

From what I know they are the XP’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting a set to FG Tour F5 irons from a vendor. Should have them by next week. The shafts are DG 115 regular . I emailed him asking if they were DG XP 115 shafts and he said they were DG 115's. Couldn't find that shaft on True Temper's website. Those of you that play the F5's, what True Temper shafts are with your set?

The stock shaft on that club was the XP's. The non "XP" DG 115's just released this year so odds are it's not on an older discontinued model Wilson club.

Stock shaft was DG XP which is somewhat lighter than DG, if I’m remembering correctly. There are now DG 115 that have just come out. But unless he just reshafted these I’m guessing they’re the XP.

Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to get info on these shafts. Nothing on the True Temper shaft page. Looking for Tempo, trajectory and spin numbers on these stock FG Tour F5 regular shafts.

Thanks guys. Now I'm trying to get info on these shafts. Nothing on the True Temper shaft page. Looking for Tempo, trajectory and spin numbers on these stock FG Tour F5 regular shafts.

XP 115 is mid spin, mid launch. Has a smooth feel, it's like an R300 but launches higher and spins more. If you've got the stock TT DG 115 shafts in your CBX wedges it feels a touch softer than that and launches a bit higher. Overall, pretty similar. For myself, it played similar to every other decent steel shaft out there with the exception of Project X or KBS which both feel different to me profile wise.

XP 115 is mid spin, mid launch. Has a smooth feel, it's like an R300 but launches higher and spins more. If you've got the stock TT DG 115 shafts in your CBX wedges it feels a touch softer than that and launches a bit higher. Overall, pretty similar. For myself, it played similar to every other decent steel shaft out there with the exception of Project X or KBS which both feel different to me profile wise.
The shafts in my Cleveland Launcher CBX irons are unique with DG DST 98 regular shafts which are high launch, high spin and I love them. The 5 - 8 irons are 2* stronger loft and the 9 & PW are 1* stronger loft. The DST 98 shafts work great with the high launch high spin characteristics and the stronger lofts. According to the True Temper website, the XP 115 shafts are mid flight, low spin. I just hope the shafts in the FG Tour F5 irons are comparable to the DST 98 shafts. I'll see exactly what shafts are in the F5,s when I get them next week.

Received the FG Tour F5 irons today and they are beautiful. Currently gaming Cleveland Launcher CBX irons. The W/S FG Tour F5 irons are 1/2" shorter than the Cleveland's and on average 4* less loft. NO wonder I hit the Cleveland Launcher CBX irons far, longer shafts and boosted lofts. Can't wait to put the FG Tour F5 irons in play tomorrow, poo on hitting them on the range, I'll just go play 18 with them. Man, they look, feel so good.

It's hard to find consistent information out there about the Dynamic Gold XPs...they were the stock in some Taylormade and Nike clubs before appearing again in the FG Tours. The one constant is people who play them seem to like them a good bit. I had the FG Tours and played them well...then after an injury I talked myself in to putting much lighter shafts in them, hated it, and sold the clubs mostly out of frustration...I wish I hadn't. Earlier this year I bought some Ping I E1s and was fit in to PX 6.0 which was a mistake. Shaft confusion set in once again, tinkering began again with not very good results...and then I remembered I left the XP shafts from my Wilsons with my club builder by accident. He found them in the storage room somewhere, put them in my Pings, and they play terrific.

It's hard to find consistent information out there about the Dynamic Gold XPs...they were the stock in some Taylormade and Nike clubs before appearing again in the FG Tours. The one constant is people who play them seem to like them a good bit. I had the FG Tours and played them well...then after an injury I talked myself in to putting much lighter shafts in them, hated it, and sold the clubs mostly out of frustration...I wish I hadn't. Earlier this year I bought some Ping I E1s and was fit in to PX 6.0 which was a mistake. Shaft confusion set in once again, tinkering began again with not very good results...and then I remembered I left the XP shafts from my Wilsons with my club builder by accident. He found them in the storage room somewhere, put them in my Pings, and they play terrific.
I loved the KBS Tour 90 (95 grams) regular shafts in the W/S C200 irons. They launched the ball high and with spin. Current gamer irons are Cleveland Launcher CBX irons with, unique to these irons, TT DG DST 98 regular shafts and I'm guessing the 98 means they're 98 grams. I'm wondering if I can feel 15 gram heavier shafts than the 2 previous sets of irons with the 115 gram shafts. I'll find out tomorrow when I play the FG Tour F5 irons.

They are so beautiful I almost don't want to hit them and get them dirty...........almost. :bananadance:

I loved the KBS Tour 90 (95 grams) regular shafts in the W/S C200 irons. They launched the ball high and with spin. Current gamer irons are Cleveland Launcher CBX irons with, unique to these irons, TT DG DST 98 regular shafts and I'm guessing the 98 means they're 98 grams. I'm wondering if I can feel 15 gram heavier shafts than the 2 previous sets of irons with the 115 gram shafts. I'll find out tomorrow when I play the FG Tour F5 irons.

They are so beautiful I almost don't want to hit them and get them dirty...........almost. :bananadance:

I've played the C200s and agree the Tour 90s are good shafts but they were too light for me, my swing got out of control. You will definitely see a difference with the DG XPs, heavier and a more noticeable load, but like the Tour 90s they're also higher launching bombers so once you get used to the weight, they should work fine.

I'm currently searching for something in between the two, at like 109-112g with the same feel and playing characteristics. My aging body and messed up back would love something a little lighter.

I've played the C200s and agree the Tour 90s are good shafts but they were too light for me, my swing got out of control. You will definitely see a difference with the DG XPs, heavier and a more noticeable load, but like the Tour 90s they're also higher launching bombers so once you get used to the weight, they should work fine.

I'm currently searching for something in between the two, at like 109-112g with the same feel and playing characteristics. My aging body and messed up back would love something a little lighter.

Check out the specs on the KBS Tour 105 shaft;

https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/tour-105/

You can get Dynamic Golds in 105 and 115 gram variants nowadays.

Check out the specs on the KBS Tour 105 shaft;

https://kbsgolfshafts.com/shop/tour-105/

I tried them once in 115 x-flex and didn't really like it...purely a feel thing, they felt exactly like KBS Tour R+ which for whatever reason I don't care for...hard to explain. I wish I had tried them in stiff at 110...probably a little more action to the shaft which I like.

You can get Dynamic Golds in 105 and 115 gram variants nowadays.

I think the DG 115 is essentially the same as the XP with new paint. 105 has always seemed to be the point where it's too light for me and 115-120 is getting a little heavy...my basic math skills are pointing me to the 110 range.

Played the F5 irons today. They're 1/2" shorter per iron than the Cleveland Launcher CBX irons and 3-4 degrees less loft per club, than the CBX's. The shafts in the F5's performed great, mid to high ball flight and felt great. Had a tough day adjusting to the weaker lofts per iron with the F5's, but they sure felt GREAT on the shots hit well. Going to Golf Galaxy today to put tape on the soles of the F5 irons and hit the thin plastic sheet to see how the lie is on them. Should be ok since all iron shots today were straight, tends to make me think the lie is ok. I really miss the increased distances and high launch the CBX irons produced.

Here's a pic of the F5 shaft label. Heard from Wilson Staff Customer Service that these DG XP shafts are very similar to the XP115 shaft but have a mid to high launch and high spin shaft compared to the low launch and low spin of the XP115 shaft.

12%2012%2017%20F5%20shaft%20a_zpslmvlgzzk.jpg

Back