Questions before Buying New clubs

50wyldeman

Reaction score
Handicap
25.6 GHIN
Hey guys , been a long while since I have posted here. I am getting life back together and am finally playing again. I have a few questions and hope this is the spot to ask them.
MY current clubs are a set of Tommy Armor 845s, while great clubs they are definitely older ( to say the least) BUT more than that I am older ( 50 ) and am having a lot of forearm pain after practice/rounds. I have fairly stiff shafts in the clubs and believe that is a significant contributing factor to my issue. ( True Temper Dynamic gold X100 ). I was fitted by a PING fitter a while back and he said I needed a AWT stiff that the X100 are more of a tour pro stiff and that the switch for me would be like going to a normal shafted club. ALSO that fitter said I should be Silver dot ( 3.75 deg upright) on my Lie and + 1.5" on my length ( My armors are + 1.5 ).
I have a few questions based on all this if you don't mind I would really like the input .

I know my swing is not dialed and honestly I really could live not replacing the clubs even though I am giving up , in my opinion, both distance and forgivness with the current setup. But the pain is annoying .
I do feel that since I am likely on a path to replace the clubs I will heed the fitters advice and get likely the g400 setup the way he recommended. If I am buying I would like it to be the last set for a while and I for whatever reason am a Ping "loyalist" .

I was told when looking at a Local Golf mart that had a set of White dot G400s in that they could try to bend them to Silver but they would not replace if they snapped them doing so . I am reallly not wanting to take that risk .

SO to the questions.
How would an ( at this point it feels like a significantly ) stiffer shaft affect the ball flight?
What is the impact of an incorrect Lie angle on Ball flight? also is this as dramatically important as it sounds in my head :) ?

I am sorry for the long post I tend to try to give MORE data than not enough . I appreciate anyone that has taken the time to read this . Please Be well.

This is just my opinion. No matter the shaft flex that best fits your swing, graphite shafts can help with joint pain. They make some outstanding graphite shafts these days, some very stiff, and they still offer shock relief that steel can't. You can even get them in heavier weights if that fits you better.

For me personally, I've gone graphite. I felt they were a bit light and added some weight, but I love the feel and have no intention to revert to steel at this point. I did not switch do to joint pain or trying to gain swing speed, I just wanted to try them out.

If you are having any kind of pain in the hands or arms you have to move to graphite. It is night and day easier and on the body. IMO the performance and quality of graphite is so good now that any fitter who doesn't go this direction with a client that mentions pain should be questioned / not fully trusted.

Prosoft or Sensicore inserts can make a huge difference as well. Another option may be to try lighter extra stiff shafts. I use Modus 3 Tour 105 X flex and I absolutely love them. But inserts would definitely be the more cost effective route that could make a significant difference.

SO to the questions.
How would an ( at this point it feels like a significantly ) stiffer shaft affect the ball flight?
What is the impact of an incorrect Lie angle on Ball flight? also is this as dramatically important as it sounds in my head :) ?

A shaft that is too stiff can result in a few issues, most notably the ballflight will be lower then desired, spin will likely be too low resulting in undesired ball flight and your miss will likely be right of target because of a failure to properly load the shaft necessary for your swing speed.

An incorrect lie angle will result in two things: If the club is too upright you will hit the ball left because the club will likely strike the ground closer to the heel resulting in the club shutting at strike point. If a club is too flat the toe will strike the ground predominantly resulting the the heel flaring open and hitting the club right of target.

Last edited:
I agree with others on going to graphite shafts to help with the pain. I converted 2 months before my 50th birthday and have been 3 years now without the pain in my upper arms / shoulders that I was experiencing before the switch.

A shaft that is too stiff can result in a few issues, most notably the ballflight will be lower then desired, spin will likely be too low resulting in undesired ball flight and your miss will likely be right of target because of a failure to properly load the shaft necessary for your swing speed.

An incorrect lie angle will result in two things: If the club is too upright you will hit the ball left because the club will likely strike the ground closer to the heel resulting in the club shutting at strike point. If a club is too flat the toe will strike the ground predominantly resulting the the heel flaring open and hitting the club right of target.

Thank you very much my Misses are always ( well mostly lol ) to the right and this was exactly part of the reason for these questions . Much appreciated.

Thank you guys very much. When I was fitted ( locally not the ping fitter) recently to check through things I did NOT make him aware of the pain . I am going in for a more thorough check of fit and will be certain to explain the pain. It may help me sort out if I can trust the info I am being given .
GREAT insight , thank you all very much

Like others have said definitely go graphite. Also, see if you can shoot a few rounds with stiff set of graphites and see how you feel after. No point in spending a pile of money if it still causes pain.

Back