Deano

Reaction score
Handicap
Played a bit of golf with my Dad today and I got him to film a couple of my shots, apologies that they are only from behind.

In general, my swing is okay - I don't have a consistent 'bad miss', more often than not, it's left but I think that's a lot to do with me coming from outside to in..

In this first swing, the ball started straight but then faded into the second lot of trees on the right after about 150 yards.

This one, using a 5 iron, my swing felt really good and the ball went exactly where I was looking to put it.

Looking for any feedback :)

Last edited:
49e5003a1e3c315e023547b8e1bb460f.png

You have a good setup and a good start to your swing. The issues come into play as the swing progresses. The club is already stuck behind you at this point.

5cc5d4573d32b1e977d2ded8ed35b603.png

The position looks ok but it's behind you. At this point you can do one of two things: cast or make space with you arms moving over the top. The OTT starts the swing but you do a good job of keeping it inside, but still stuck.

eafb91629feb645d41495f4e0031d4fc.png

By keeping it inside the butt of the club is pointed down and behind the ball. In this position the butt of the club should be pointed at the ball. This current position will require you to lose some spin angle to make room for the club to pass under your chin.

349a798a061656e4e6ba33aa503c0db2.png

Here you can see the loss of spine angle and a slightly open club face that you close well at impact. The issue is that you're flat footed at this point and have lost a good bit of your power. The ball may have stayed on line but these position will breed inconsistency.

Try to get the club working straight back from the ball and not so much to the inside. This will keep the club in front of chest and allow you maintain spine angle on the down swing. Drive your right knee down toward the ball to begin your down swing and allow the club to swing under your chest and down the line.

Your fundamentals are solid we just need to work on the path of the club and introduce the hips to the swing.

Panda, I just wanted to take a moment and say thanks for you analyzing THP'ers golf swings. The format is detailed and easy to follow. Not only do you help the poster, but the rest of as well. Thanks again.

Thank you for such a prompt and thorough response.

I had a lesson roughly 2 months ago and the instructor then said about the fact that the club comes inside too much on the backswing, are there any good drills you would recommend for this?

Regarding the top of my swing, I'm not entirely sure where the club should be in relation to the picture, would it be more like this:

top_swing.jpg

And the middle part of the downswing, should that be more like this (so it almost feels like I'm 'casting' the club?):

middle_swing.jpg

The spine angle is really, really ugly in that pic!

Where you say drive the right knee down to start the backswing, would that make the transition onto the left harder?

Thank you.

Just a little update. Had a club MOT at American Golf today. Using a 7 iron to check my swing and was really focused on keeping the club in front of my hands. Hit every single shot straight and was only an 8 yard dispersion between each ball!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

New video from today. This is with my new Titleist 917 D2 driver, never used a driver before but was hitting it nicely in the fitting and again today.

I think you might say about my spine angle on the downswing again, if so, what drills would you suggest to correct it?

Back