Video Rate this way past parallel swing

Jason89er

Working hard to escape golf mediocrity purgatory…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My buddy and I got paired up with a couple of random super great guys last week. One of them who is particularly long off the tee. This drive carried about 280 and rolled out to close to 290-300. It’s rare to get paired up with this long of a hitter for us. It’s by no means a “text book swing” but man he had some power. For this kind of swing it was pretty controlled as well. He hit driver on 11 holes. Had 2 cruise OB. A few end up in the rough ect but hit 7-8 FW right down the pipe. I think he’s even leaving some power on the table. Thoughts?

View attachment trim.906E6470-DE6B-4A34-B418-EF8F06CB917C.MOV

Last edited:
Holy knee collapse and early extension!

Is it a text book swing? No
But if he does it consistently and gets the ball going at the target....fine.

Never played with a fellow amateur that took the driver that far back that made such consistent contact. Was fun to watch. However unconventional.

I'll take results over aesthetics any day!

I tend to release early myself. Never considered taking the club back this far to help generate more club head speed.

I got into the habit of taking it way to far across the line (and too inside which would result in me "overcorrecting" a bit over the top) when I had the shorter driver. I seemed to subconsciously take it further back than a longer driver.

He takes it way back and then seems very wide coming down - that can generate speed. A nice jump. Not pretty but effective for him. My body would not do well with it.

looks a lot like my backswing, but not my follow through

I tend to release early myself. Never considered taking the club back this far to help generate more club head speed.
I'm not flexible enough to take the club back anywhere near that far, there'd be s##t popping out of my back if I tried it! :LOL: And it seems like the longer my swing, the more moving parts I introduce, and the worse the outcome is.

Looking out your left eye and seeing club head? Whoa. Big backswing!

I get how the long backswing could be beneficial, but if you look at his impact position, he loses all the benefit. I'm frankly surprised he is able to hit is 300.

Attachments

• Long Hitter.png
    Long Hitter.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 17
Looks like Smiter's swing before he tamed it down. Same distance, different landing spots, though.

As long as he finds the results acceptable, it's a correct swing.

Couldn't possibly be more different than my pass at the ball.

I keep my left heel flat and thus barely get past vertical on my backswing with current flexibility.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I don't understand how anyone could let it go that early and still carry it 280

Damn I wish I could get to parallel…maybe I need to put more golf balls in my pockets. Lol!

Not saying I don't believe you, but I don't understand how anyone could let it go that early and still carry it 280

I took it as a slow motion video on my iPhone. What you can’t really see is the club head speed. I wish I had taken one at full speed. My guess is he is up in the 105-110 range? Had to be. It was a violent looking swing full speed. I was shocked to see an early release as well. This is a shot of the swing at changing point into the back swing. And then one at impact. He is fully extended and even pushing up off the ground. He just powers it with brute force to get the club head speed I suppose. Like a maxed out arm swing? And his grip was an overly strong grip as you can see. I measured the drive myself with my GPS and some others based on my drives in Arccos. The carry was my best guess. It didn’t roll out that far from what I could see from the tee box. It was a Maverick Driver.

When I saw the early release I had to post it to get some help wrapping my brain around the distance he was getting. Unless it was a shaved face driver or an illegal ball or something. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think so.

94772570-A2B1-40CB-BF7A-75D2F0FC96C5.jpeg
3C106B5E-AB80-4B2B-BF76-44A6D9FFC70E.jpeg

I get how the long backswing could be beneficial, but if you look at his impact position, he loses all the benefit. I'm frankly surprised he is able to hit is 300.

Me too once I saw the video when I got home. That’s why I posted it. I kept thinking what is happening here?!? These are measured with my Arccos. I would hit my ball (considerably shorter) then drive up to where he was hitting and add the distance to my drive. Not 100% accurate I know but pretty darn close.

I’m certainly not knocking him. He was a solid golfer. Beat me that day by 3 strokes. 82 for him 85 for me. The penalty strokes and his putting (or lack there of) leveled the playing field.

Really uses his legs and quite the bend. At my age, I think something might snap and end my golfing ventures. :ROFLMAO:

I took it as a slow motion video on my iPhone. What you can’t really see is the club head speed. I wish I had taken one at full speed. My guess is he is up in the 105-110 range? Had to be. It was a violent looking swing full speed. I was shocked to see an early release as well. This is a shot of the swing at changing point into the back swing. And then one at impact. He is fully extended and even pushing up off the ground. He just powers it with brute force to get the club head speed I suppose. Like a maxed out arm swing? And his grip was an overly strong grip as you can see. I measured the drive myself with my GPS and some others based on my drives in Arccos. The carry was my best guess. It didn’t roll out that far from what I could see from the tee box. It was a Maverick Driver.

When I saw the early release I had to post it to get some help wrapping my brain around the distance he was getting. Unless it was a shaved face driver or an illegal ball or something. I don’t know for sure but I don’t think so.

View attachment 9042002
View attachment 9042004
This pic(impact) reminds of the "hacker" in Ben Hogans 5L. Lats and arm levers generate the power, with right arm straightening(Pushing) golf swing, locks up lower body, just as in throwing a punch
(right hand pronating, palm down).
Very powerful, very timing dependent explained by inconsistency.

Left big toe flat on the ground at impact, sends stresses through pelvic basin to lower back.
Hope he corrects this soon before doing serious permanent injury.

Last edited:
Back