Realized I never formally introduced myself!

PingEye2Man

Reaction score
Handicap
17ish
Hello to all,

Earliest personal golf memory, 12 year old kid, losing his grip on his dad’s 9 Iron and watching it smash thru my sisters’ bedroom window while they were still asleep! After which, left the sport to focus on my baseball! Lol! After dabbling again and being able to consistently hold onto the clubs, the self-taught tour hopeful 16 year old me, decided that I should try out for the Goshen High School, in Ohio, golf team my junior year! After much time “playing” the opposite 9 of the starters, “playing” meant some actual golf, but also a generous amount of finding balls in the O’Bannon Creek Country Club’s tree lined fairways! I finally got to shoot in my first match, due to the best golfer having his appendix burst on that very course and unable to answer the bell! In retrospect, I to this day wonder if the coach pleaded to him to still try to swing after his surgery, in lieu of me playing! However, I went to the King’s Mill course with the swagger of Trevino, excited to be part of the team! It was there that I was teamed up with the coaches foursome with my opponent! I truly do not remember almost all of the round, was it the excitement of the day, or the confusion of the play, who knows, but I do remember the Last hole, we made it to the green, he was about 2-3 feet from the cup, I was much further, possibly 20-30...both were tied, and sitting even 4 on the green. I sunk the putt for my 5, he missed his and I won! That was my last match so it wrapped up my undefeated High School career at 1-0! Didn’t play my Senior year in spite of my previous success!

Took golf more seriously after graduation...

Had a dominant run golfing in Blue Cross/Blue Shield, now Anthem’s golf league for a few years in the mid-late 80s!

Made it to the semi-finals in the Club Championship at Fair Acres, now Eagle’s Nest in the late 80’s only to lose to a 72 year old guy that beat me 3&2! I now consider that round one of my favorites, where the lessons learned from watching him, and his advice to me, was dabbled with over the years, but really respected now!

Had a few year run with my friend where we won the U.S. Bank golf league held at the Kenton County Kentucky courses.

Took off a large block of years, hung the Pings up and over time would see them in the garage, fondly remembering the times that we traversed many fairways together, and followed the sporting careers of my 2 sons!

After 12+ years, pulled the old friend off the wall when my youngest, then 26 years old, decided the game his old man loved wasn’t so bad after all, we now are golfing together fairly regularly, and this older guy is having the time of his golfing life! But there’s more! Adding to that, my oldest set up a range day for me last Father’s Day with him, my oldest grandson the Zekester, 4years old, and my youngest son! I cut down and re-gripped some old cast offs to fit Zekester, and we had a blast! The little guy was getting the general idea of putting, and we did some time breaking out his BIG DAWG driver, we plan to build on that more this year!

So that sums up my golfing career resume, I haven’t earned a dime, but I wouldn’t trade this for any amount of $$$!

Still swinging those beautiful Ping Eye 2 Black Dots!

Hope you enjoyed this rather lengthy introduction of this 57 year old’s journey!

Last edited:
Absolutely loving the late introduction. You know you can tell everyone you were undefeated in high school golf. Nobody would be the wiser.

Thanks for the introduction. It’s nice having you on the forum.

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP and glad your back in the game with your kids/grandkids.

Welcome and I love the introduction!

Welcome to THP. A perfect high school record is a fond thought for sure.

Absolutely loving the late introduction. You know you can tell everyone you were undefeated in high school golf. Nobody would be the wiser.
Yeah, My crowning glory! Lol! Much better ring to it than “the guy that found the most lost balls from the club members”! 👍😂

Thanks to you all that have welcomed me! And those that haven’t but that keep this THP forum educational, interesting and lively! 👍 I really hope to meet up with some of you over time, be it at some Experience, or the Southwest Ohio/Indiana/Ky group, or Bourbon Bash, etc. This forum has been a wonderful find for me to help keep the golf flames stoked!

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading the belated introduction.

Welcome to THP!

Back