Recently fitted and need your input

wiengo

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently went through a full bag fitting with Golf Tec and I am down to two irons to choose from, they both spec'd out equally so now it's a matter of preference and style. The two iron sets I am trying to decide between are the Mizuno JPX-825 Pro or the Ping i20. I would love some feedback on these if anyone has played them. They will be one degree upright and have the Dynamic Gold S300 shaft with a midsized grip. Thanks!

Mizuno no question. No iron feels better than a mizuno (at least all the ones I've tried). Not a huge fan of Ping though.

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut you won't be able to tell which iron is which. Go with the one that suits your eye the best.

Is there anyway you can get them outside to try on real grass before purchasing?

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut you won't be able to tell which iron is which. Go with the one that suits your eye the best.

Is there anyway you can get them outside to try on real grass before purchasing?

That is a good call, I'll try to do that. Either way I have to travel significantly to do this, but hopefully I can do that soon. Thanks!

Thanks!

My gut would say Mizuno, but only from a recent personal observation during my sons fitting. He was hitting taylormades, titleists, cobra amps etc. He was hitting all of them about 165 with a 6 iron. The mizuno stood out by itself at 185. But there are so many variables that could go into that, that it may not be an accurate assessment. It was also obviously based on the specific clubs, shafts and grips that he was hitting at the time. Is there any way GolfTec will let you do a side by side comparison with a few swings and see which one you hit better? If not, maybe you can go to an Edwin Watts and try both similar set up clubs side by side. Obviously the lie setup and shaft length may be different from your setup, but all things considered equal it may help you choose one over the other.

These are the two of the best irons available IMO so you can't really go wrong. The Mizuno's will get a little banged up over time as they're made of a softer steel.

These are the two of the best irons available IMO so you can't really go wrong. The Mizuno's will get a little banged up over time as they're made of a softer steel.

That's a very helpful observation about the material, thanks!

My gut would say Mizuno, but only from a recent personal observation during my sons fitting. He was hitting taylormades, titleists, cobra amps etc. He was hitting all of them about 165 with a 6 iron. The mizuno stood out by itself at 185. But there are so many variables that could go into that, that it may not be an accurate assessment. It was also obviously based on the specific clubs, shafts and grips that he was hitting at the time. Is there any way GolfTec will let you do a side by side comparison with a few swings and see which one you hit better? If not, maybe you can go to an Edwin Watts and try both similar set up clubs side by side. Obviously the lie setup and shaft length may be different from your setup, but all things considered equal it may help you choose one over the other.

Yea, that's the hard thing, is they would have different shafts etc. so it would be hard to get a true side by side, but that is probably the best option. To take one of each outside. Thanks!

ya it is all personal opinion I know. but for me at least when it comes to forged or cast, forged will always win out. I've hit both of the clubs and I find the mizuno's to just feel better. And no I won't use the "buttery" adjective with the mizuno's haha.

Ask your instructor to check them out for a week then take them out on the course then decide . I know my fitting was the same way and he said you can take them out for a week try them out....

Back