Recommendations for a 14 year old club set

prrc

Reaction score
Handicap
My son is 14 and is interested in starting to play golf in a league. He has a starter junior set that he has had for several years. A really small set. I have looked at other junior sets that are longer clubs.He falls right at the cut off line of those clubs. He is small for his age 55" tall and only 65/70 pounds. can anyone make a recommendation on a set that would work for him? Don't want to buy something that won't work for him.
Thanks in advance Tim

That is a tough one. There are junior sets that are available in a number of heights and sizes, but truthfully I am not sure that is the best way to go if he is getting serious about it. Add to the fact that if he is growing or will be hitting a growth spurt soon, it might be money not well spent.

I know this sounds odd, but what about finding a set that is made length wise for women (my wife is 5' tall) and they fit her decently. Could even have the male version of the heads put on if it poses an issue as it might at that age.

Growing up in my teens I was always on the shorter side. I didn't hit my growth spurt until nearly the end of my freshman year in high school. Before then I hit my grandma's hand me down clubs better than any other club that I had in my bag. Truthfully I knew it was a woman's club, and I didn't care because it went straight and far. Well far for a 13-14 year old lol

what ever is cheap he may out grow junior clubs to quickly

That is a tough one. There are junior sets that are available in a number of heights and sizes, but truthfully I am not sure that is the best way to go if he is getting serious about it. Add to the fact that if he is growing or will be hitting a growth spurt soon, it might be money not well spent.

I know this sounds odd, but what about finding a set that is made length wise for women (my wife is 5' tall) and they fit her decently. Could even have the male version of the heads put on if it poses an issue as it might at that age.

Great idea from JB there my boy is 12 and quite tall although still not overly strong , his set is a mixture of US Kids golf Irons with steel shafts that are a kids flex and ladies clubs , hybrids are Adams and Woods by Cobra and Nike and the shafts are perfect for him.....

Bought used TM Burners ladies for my son when he was 13. They weren't garish or girly they looked like regular clubs. After that I bought him some Adams Tight Lines and now he's using my plus 1 A7's.

He was short for his age now he's 6'2".

I was small at that age and my dad got me a set of ladies clubs and they worked great. Just don't tell them they are for ladies I always felt a little embarrassed about it.

My son just turned 14, and is about the same size as your son. He still uses a Callaway junior set that is suppose to be for kids 51"-60" tall. That being said, he is not that serious about golf. If he were going to try and make the high school team next year, I would be looking to get him some sort of complete set. Like others have mentioned, maybe a non-girly looking set of ladies clubs, or maybe a cut down set of senior flex clubs.

Recommendations for a 14 year old club set

How about a used set with Senior shafts? You could have them cut down to length and re-gripped to fit.

Plenty of used Sr flex sets on eBay.

Another option is to try Hireko's site and get a custom set. Some good quality at reasonable cost there.

Back