Reducing backspin with driver

aubs88

Reaction score
Handicap
I just came back from an attempted ball fitting with Bridgestone golf and they were having a difficult time choosing a ball that would help my game.

Part of that was due to my inconsistent driver swing but secondly its was because each time I made a decent swing I had a too much backspin. I will give you the numbers.

Swing speed 95.7-100.4
Ball speed 127.6-133.5
launch angle 9.5-13.9
Back Spin 3520-3700
Side spin +40 - +715
Distance 211-213

They recommended I come back later in the season when my swing was more consistent.
I always new I had some extra spin and I was hoping you could recommend a way that I may be able to help reduce it.

Thanks

Aubs

The launch angle looks pretty good for the club and ball speed. I would like to see you keep it between 12-13*. There are too ways to bring down spin. Both involve a shaft change. You can go to a shaft with a higher kick point so that the head doesn't snap or kick at the bottom of the swing as much. The other option is to go with the same shaft that you have but go to a heavier gram weight in the shaft. from say 63 grams to something in the high 70's to low 80's. The extra weight will slow down the heads release and help with the backspin numbers.

As a side note if you can reduce the side spin that will help reduce the backspin as well. That would be the more consistent swing that they are talking about.

Thanks for the insight and I will give it a try as I have a few shafts that I can play with to see if it helps. I also agree the more consistent swing will go a long way to assist.

Back