Regripping can I use Xylol as a solvent?

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In the grip thred for the golfpride contest, someone mentioned using gas as the solvent.

Can I use Xylol as the solvent instead of mineral spirits or acetone? From what I remember the container I have is marked Xylol (Xylene) or it may say something about Toluene although I think I got it at Home Depot and I can't find Toluene on their website. I know wikipedia says Xylene and Toluene are almost identical.

I almost don't want to go out to Lowe's and brave the crowd of humanity that's there to get mineral spirits or Xylol

It will work fine and will dry a little faster than mineral spirits so maybe a little less work time with straightening the grip. None of these solvents are good for your liver and are absorbed through the skin so gloves or neatness is wise. A charcoal respirator would also be wise but for the amount of time we are exposed for personal club repair it’s not a big deal. I have all the respirators and don’t wear them for regripping.

In the grip thred for the golfpride contest, someone mentioned using gas as the solvent.

Can I use Xylol as the solvent instead of mineral spirits or acetone? From what I remember the container I have is marked Xylol (Xylene) or it may say something about Toluene although I think I got it at Home Depot and I can't find Toluene on their website. I know wikipedia says Xylene and Toluene are almost identical.

I almost don't want to go out to Lowe's and brave the crowd of humanity that's there to get mineral spirits or Xylol

I'm assuming you don't own an air compressor.

I'm assuming you don't own an air compressor.
I do have an air compressor. What I'm trying to avoid is exposing myself to the crush of humanity that is Lowe's or Home Depot on an off day where everyone has determined it's the place to be because there's nowhere else to go.

If I've got something that can be used already at home, I'll try it. Hopefully I won't wind up with some nasty messy oddly colored solvent when I'm done because the grips are made of chinesium that doesn't hold up to solvent.:ROFLMAO:

And I'll be doing it in my garage with the door up...

I do have an air compressor. What I'm trying to avoid is exposing myself to the crush of humanity that is Lowe's or Home Depot on an off day where everyone has determined it's the place to be because there's nowhere else to go.

If I've got something that can be used already at home, I'll try it. Hopefully I won't wind up with some nasty messy oddly colored solvent when I'm done because the grips are made of chinesium that doesn't hold up to solvent.:ROFLMAO:

Yes, although it will dry a bit faster.
Follow the video we shot with one of the foremost authorities on grips and he walks you through the entire thing.
You should be good to go.

If you have a blow gun tip, then you need no solvent at all.

1585762080969.png

I know this isn't a response to the OP question, but wanted to share what I use. Takes a little longer to dry, but way less harsh of a liquid to work with.

View attachment 8934809

I know this isn't a response to the OP question, but wanted to share what I use. Takes a little longer to dry, but way less harsh of a liquid to work with.
Hey hey hey! Don't clutter up my thread with logic! Save it for the Golfpride tip contest thread!!!(y)

Seriously though, I'd use mineral spirits if I had them. But I don't... and, after experiencing Lowe's this past weekend, I'm not very keen on going back. It's not that I'm afraid ov Covid-19... because I don't think I am... and I didn't hear anyone sounding obviously sick at Lowe's this weekend but it was a mad house. It truly was like Black Friday there... I don't want to go back for a while.

If you have a blow gun tip, then you need no solvent at all.
I've heard that, and I've seen video of the pure grip or cure grip that can be installed and removed with air. I may try it but I don't keep pressure in my air compressors when they're not being used. I know I know... there's nothing wrong with it, drain the water form the bottom periodically, there are more dangerous things at home in the garage and shed... I don't know. I just don't keep air pressure in them.

If I get these grips on and it looks to be going well, I may give it a shot.

Yes, although it will dry a bit faster.
Follow the video we shot with one of the foremost authorities on grips and he walks you through the entire thing.
You should be good to go.
I've seen that video, and I'll be following along(y)

I've heard that, and I've seen video of the pure grip or cure grip that can be installed and removed with air. I may try it but I don't keep pressure in my air compressors when they're not being used. I know I know... there's nothing wrong with it, drain the water form the bottom periodically, there are more dangerous things at home in the garage and shed... I don't know. I just don't keep air pressure in them.

If I get these grips on and it looks to be going well, I may give it a shot.

Not trying to be a smartass, but why not just turn the compressor on and put air in it? I don't keep air in mine constantly either. It takes but a few minutes to fill up unless you've got a huge compressor.

Because one is in one corner of the garage and I'd need to move it to where I can use it, unwind the power cord and air hose and wait while it builds pressure.
The other one is across the garage on the other side and I'd have to get an extension cord and wait while it builds pressure.
And I'm lazy.:ROFLMAO:

When you're using air to install and remove the grip, how do you make fine adjustments? Isn't it pretty much on and a one shot deal with the tape?

Because one is in one corner of the garage and I'd need to move it to where I can use it, unwind the power cord and air hose and wait while it builds pressure.
The other one is across the garage on the other side and I'd have to get an extension cord and wait while it builds pressure.
And I'm lazy.:ROFLMAO:

When you're using air to install and remove the grip, how do you make fine adjustments? Isn't it pretty much on and a one shot deal with the tape?

NO. Far from it. Don't use double sided tape. Just masking tape. Blow it on. If it needs fine adjustment, give it small shots of air to enable you to move it a bit.

Who would have thought that? I sure didn’t. Thanks!

Be careful, that stuff is extremely flammable

Oh there’s no worry there. Garage. Door open. No open flame.

Back