I have just regripped all my irons with ND MC grips. All I used was a stanley knife, grip tape and white spirits. It is quite simple to do.

You have a vice so it will be even easier for you.

Cut off the old grip
Remove the existing grip tape unless you are building up the grip (which I was, but I ensured the existing tape was still properly stuck down and replaced it as needed)
Put on grip tape leaving 1/2 inch over butt of shaft, smooth down and put excess into butt of shaft to plug the hole
Fill new grip with solvent and then pour it over the grip tape to activate the solvent (plug the hole with your finger / tee)
Quickly slide the new grip onto the shaft and line up.
Wipe excess solvent and adhesive from the shaft and grip
Leave to dry (I leave mine for 24hrs, then I wash and dry the grips and return the clubs to my bag)

Don't be afraid to really soak the griptape with solvent, it is much better to use too much than too little, you can always reuse it if you have a drip tray or container to catch it.

I get all my equipment from ebay

Super advice and a great explanation! The only thing I do different is to put a tee in the new grip hole. Then I fill it with mineral spirits, put one finger over the other hole, shake it around, pull the tee and let the liquid inside flow over the grip tape. Then slide it on and you are a master re-gripper.

Random question. For cutting grips off, is a regular box cutter ok or should I look for a hook blade one? I saw a hook blade one recommended somewhere to minimize damage to graphite shafts.

I use the hook blade I have on a leatherman, just takes a bit of the worry out for graphite shafts for me. you can buy the hook blades for most box cutters quite cheap and really worth it in my opinion. Last thing you want it to accidentally gouge a new graphite shaft and ruin it.

Hook blade is easier to avoid damaging graphite with IMO. Straight blade can be used, just requires a little more attention to make sure you're not marring the shaft.

Question for all the air regrippers out there. What size compressor are you using and which grip attachment? Looking for recommendations on the latter.

No takers on this? Eyeballing a couple of cheap compressors, and all the grip tools seem basically the same. Are you guys just doing this dry or using a little solvent to loosen things up before you remove the grips?

Random question. For cutting grips off, is a regular box cutter ok or should I look for a hook blade one? I saw a hook blade one recommended somewhere to minimize damage to graphite shafts.

Shoot I've used a bread knife in a pinch. Lol. #LowTech

i use compressor myself but was shocked when i walked into my local club and pro was using WINDEX with double sided tape
seemed to work and it just evaporates plus you need a hooked blade with graphite

A few months ago I made a video on re-gripping with compressed air. I have finally uploaded it and it can be found here:
https://youtu.be/Uu053gsXcwQ
I am self taught and this works very well for me.
During this video I did 8 steel shafted irons and 5 graphite woods, all in about 40 min.
The only difference in the steel and graphite was the use of the old dull kitchen knife. On the graphite I use a piece of PVC to remove any old tape.
Hope this helps some folks realize that this is so easy anyone can do it.

Last edited:
Anybody have a tip for regripping without a vice? I tried one today and screwed it up to the point where I had to cut off the grip and try again...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I want to say JMan posted something about this. You might try going back several pages in the thread and looking for a post from him.

Anybody have a tip for regripping without a vice? I tried one today and screwed it up to the point where I had to cut off the grip and try again...

Where are you having issues? I re-grip without s vice all the time and don't have any issues

Just straight up couldn't get it on. First time ever trying, admittedly, but just had trouble getting the grip over the tape and pushing it on. Do I need to hold it between my legs to stabilize it or something?

Regripping

Just straight up couldn't get it on. First time ever trying, admittedly, but just had trouble getting the grip over the tape and pushing it on. Do I need to hold it between my legs to stabilize it or something?

Here is what I do:

-lay the shaft on the counter and have the grip end over the sink
-spray a generous amount of solvent into the grip with my finger capping the butt end so the solvent doesn't leak out.
-move the grip side to side to the solvent mixes around inside the grip and gets it wet
-pour the solvent over the grip tape and maybe even spray some more
-slide the grip over the tape and it should slide right on
-tap the grip on the ground to make sure it's all the way one
-adjust grip so it's lined up as you like at address

I think the key is to use a good amount of solvent. It will allow the grip to slide one easier.

Here is what I do:

-spray a generous amount of solvent into the grip with my finger capping the butt end so the solvent doesn't leak out.
-move the grip side to side to the solvent mixes around inside the grip and gets it wet

I think the key is to use a good amount of solvent. It will allow the grip to slide one easier.
Gotcha, thanks. I'm gonna give it another shot this weekend - I probably just hesitated too much or something and it stuck prematurely. I know I jag some initial trouble getting the grip opening to fit over the tape, but again, I was probably just tentative.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm gonna give it another shot this weekend - I probably just hesitated too much or something and it stuck prematurely. I know I jag some initial trouble getting the grip opening to fit over the tape, but again, I was probably just tentative.

Sometimes it can be a bit tricky getting the grip started, but it isn't that big of a challenge. More than likely you didn't have nearly enough solvent. In addition to what Mike said (even though I use a vise) I like to put a paint pan under the grip to catch the solvent you put on the grip. It helps make the job less messy and you can reuse the recaptured solvent.

Here is what I do:

This is all that is needed. Don't be shy on the solvent or lighter fluid if that's what your using.

Thanks guys. I felt like an idiot when it didn't work haha, but I'm sure the first time I do it right, it'll become second nature.

Getting the solvent inside the grip is key.

Well I tried it again...now I'm 0 for 2. Shoved it about 3/4 of the way on and it just stopped and I couldn't get it any further...

These things should go on really easy right? I'm just not using enough water (water activated tape) I'm assuming? Trying one more time tonight and I will absolutely FLOOD the damn thing with water before shoving the grip on.

Well I tried it again...now I'm 0 for 2. Shoved it about 3/4 of the way on and it just stopped and I couldn't get it any further...

These things should go on really easy right? I'm just not using enough water (water activated tape) I'm assuming? Trying one more time tonight and I will absolutely FLOOD the damn thing with water before shoving the grip on.

I would not use water... Use solvent even though it's "water activated" tape. Solvent will make life easier

It shouldn't make any difference but because you are having issues:
What type of shafts
What type of grips
What size grips
How many wraps of tape

You can use a wire hanger (I use a bike spoke and flatten the end with a hammer) and push it between the grip and shaft. Squirt in the solvent and work the hanger around and down the shaft. This should lube up the tape enough to at least get the grip off so you don't lose another one. Stick with it, you WILL find the trick that works for you.

Just use a lot of solvent on the tape and flood the inside of the grip and make sure you get all sides lubed up and it should go on no problem.

I would not use water... Use solvent even though it's "water activated" tape. Solvent will make life easier
I've heard adding a touch of dish soap to the water will help as well, ever tried?
It shouldn't make any difference but because you are having issues:
What type of shafts
What type of grips
What size grips
How many wraps of tape

You can use a wire hanger (I use a bike spoke and flatten the end with a hammer) and push it between the grip and shaft. Squirt in the solvent and work the hanger around and down the shaft. This should lube up the tape enough to at least get the grip off so you don't lose another one. Stick with it, you WILL find the trick that works for you.
Steel shafts
Using old grips right now til I get it figured out (REL 3gen), but eventually putting on UTx
Standard size
One wrap

Thanks for the coat hanger tip, will have to keep that in mind if I goof up another one...

I've heard adding a touch of dish soap to the water will help as well, ever tried?

Steel shafts
Using old grips right now til I get it figured out (REL 3gen), but eventually putting on UTx
Standard size
One wrap

Thanks for the coat hanger tip, will have to keep that in mind if I goof up another one...

What are you using for solvent?

What are you using for solvent?
Water activated tape, so just water. I read a tip online that adding a little dish soap to the water would help a bit more

Water activated tape, so just water. I read a tip online that adding a little dish soap to the water would help a bit more

I have never had success using just water mind you I use carpet tape. Go the 7-11 and buy some lighter fluid. Carpet tape + lighter fluid = secure grips.

Arnold Palmer approved.

Back