Retirement coming soon --- lots of golf in the future! :)

Congratulations!

Just don't make the stupid mistake I did and start working at the golf course as a "retirement job". I made it 4.5 years with playing golf 4 or 5 days a week then decided it would be a good idea to start working P-T at the golf course. Did too good of a job, and I enjoyed it, so they wanted me to work more (F-T). Have played 3 rounds in the past 8 months.

Congratulations!

Just don't make the stupid mistake I did and start working at the golf course as a "retirement job". I made it 4.5 years with playing golf 4 or 5 days a week then decided it would be a good idea to start working P-T at the golf course. Did too good of a job, and I enjoyed it, so they wanted me to work more (F-T). Have played 3 rounds in the past 8 months.
Now that sucks. I can relate to that part time gig becoming full time.

Congrats and thank you for your service! My wife is a teacher and I can't believe what middle school kids do/say without any repercussions

Congratulations man. I am starting my third year of retirement but I stay busy with travel and projects. I found that 2-3 rounds per week is enough golf for me. I hope you enjoy playing all you want but don't be surprised if you get burned out.

Congratulations!

Joe Biden Infrastructure GIF by GIPHY News

Congratulations!

Do you have the countdown timer on your phone yet? My friend had his going when he announced and got to around 4 months away from the last day (& man did he remind us 🤣)
IMG_2106.jpeg

Last edited:
I have *finally* decided, enough is enough, and drafted up my letter of retirement to the county pubic schools transportation dept (yes, I drive a school bus for something to do). 12 years (Sept 2024) is enough. I just can't do another year or more. I'm done. It's a miracle I lasted almost 12 years driving a school bus. o_O

Here in Virginia, the last day of school is May 31st, and I plan on playing as much golf as I can from that point on. I can't always take a day off during the week, as we're always shorthanded with school bus drivers, so I can't always play golf during the week, as much as I'd like. Weekends are ridiculous, as we all know. Crowded courses, 5½-6 hour rounds. No thanks...

Anyway, I just figured I'd throw this out there, for anyone else who is around my age (almost 63) and can collect "early" Social Security, on top of a military retirement (US Coast Guard), along with a county public school retirement (piddly peanuts, but I'll take it). There is an old Steve Miller Band song back in the 70's about "Go on, take the money and run, woo hoo, yeah" or something... If you can retire - DO IT - and play more golf! :cool:
Awesome, Congrats! I'll be 63 in Nov and will retire effective 1 Jan 2025. I don't think I can wait at day after that.
Congratulations!

I am so looking forward to golfing Mon thru Fri. This ^^^ I won't do. I've thought about it over the years, working at a golf course after work retirement, I have a few friends who have done this. I won't.

I'm shutting down the company laptop for the last time this coming July 30th. I'm going to walk away while I'm still relatively healthy. I'll be golfing and fishing a lot more that is for certain. Enjoy your retirement.

Congrats on the retirement! I dream of those days, but they're a ways away.

I never got to do the countdown. I had to retire for heath reasons. Went to the doc one day and retired the next . Fortunately I was close to getting my pension and we had money put away. We really haven’t had to touch the investments because of the pension. I asked doctor what activities would he suggest. He said golf and use a cart. It’s helped keep me sane the last 9 years. I play 18 one day and 9 another. Hopefully you can get in more than I do. I am pretty much at my limit. Enjoy.

I have *finally* decided, enough is enough, and drafted up my letter of retirement to the county pubic schools transportation dept (yes, I drive a school bus for something to do). 12 years (Sept 2024) is enough. I just can't do another year or more. I'm done. It's a miracle I lasted almost 12 years driving a school bus. o_O

Here in Virginia, the last day of school is May 31st, and I plan on playing as much golf as I can from that point on. I can't always take a day off during the week, as we're always shorthanded with school bus drivers, so I can't always play golf during the week, as much as I'd like. Weekends are ridiculous, as we all know. Crowded courses, 5½-6 hour rounds. No thanks...

Anyway, I just figured I'd throw this out there, for anyone else who is around my age (almost 63) and can collect "early" Social Security, on top of a military retirement (US Coast Guard), along with a county public school retirement (piddly peanuts, but I'll take it). There is an old Steve Miller Band song back in the 70's about "Go on, take the money and run, woo hoo, yeah" or something... If you can retire - DO IT - and play more golf! :cool:
So awesome! I have maybe 1.5 years and the button will be pushed for me!

I tell you what...being able to play Mattaponi and Spring Creek a lot is a good retirement plan!! I could play those everyday!!

congrats!

I am either a month before you or after you. I've been ramping up my golf for about a year in anticipation of the moment

I retired at 61 and have never looked back. Good luck and enjoy.

Congrats! I look forward to retirement, probably more than I should.

Congrats!!

I am 53 and semi retired and play as much golf as I want (last year played 284 rounds). I really do love my life. If you can swing it retire as early as you can IMO. I am semi retired because I am a self employed architect and love what I do. So I take as many, or few, jobs as I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the retirement and enjoy the golf.

Lucky Jon Heder GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Congrats! Enjoy your retirement. I was one of the strange ducks. Enjoyed my work and kept in the saddle until 69. Thought I was retired, but the firm called and needed me to assist on one last project. So, I was 70 at retirement.
Upon retirement, told myself I couldn't whine about anything at the course if I wasn't willing to be part of the solution. Ran for the Board of Directors, never expecting to be elected. Well, this past December finished my second and last 3-year term on the Board. 77 and finally COMPLETELY retired!!
I promised myself I wouldn't "recline and decline". Have kept playing LOTS of golf and not spending time in the recliner. We play whenever the course is open. Been seeing 200+ rounds/year since retirement.
Enjoy your time. Play lots of golf! Find a group of similar skill golfers you can join up with. It'll become a fun social event every time you tee it up. One of the past Superintendents said our group "fights like sisters". Our guys run from 70 to 83.. Retired military. Retired school superintendent. Retired salesperson. We have one rule. NO POLITICS!!!

Back