Review - Ping G425 Max

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
I recently received the Ping G425 Max and wanted to share my thoughts on the club. I've never owned a Ping club before this one. Prior to this, I was trying out the Callaway Epic Max LS. It was a great driver and I could smoke it, but I wanted a little more accuracy. So, enter the Ping...

IMG_7560.JPG

I went with the Pig Tour 65 extra stiff shaft. My swing speed is roughly 110 mph with driver. I liked the shiny finish to the shaft. Looks very nice in person.

IMG_7563.JPG

Next, I went with the 10.5 degree loft. I was unsure between the 9 vs 10.5, but liked that I could adjust the driver down anyways (I have it set to 9.5 degrees), so I thought a little more loft wouldn't hurt. I really like the look of the driver head as well.

IMG_7564.JPG

It has a 26 gram weight in the back with three placement options. I left it in the center, but toyed with the idea of placing it in the fade spot because I tend to miss left.

IMG_7565.jpg

Contrasting the shiny shaft is the matte black crown. I liked matte finish and I don't have to worry about the shiny crown reflecting the sun on a bright sunny day.

IMG_7567.jpg

As I said before, I adjusted mine down 1 degree and can go down as much as 1.5 degrees. You can also adjust it up 1.5 degrees. I personally wanted to deloft it a tad because the driver tends to lie at little closed (at least to my eye). So, I thought delofting it would open it up a tad.

IMG_7566.jpg

And here is a picture of the face for those wondering.

I went to the range today with it for the first time. Hit roughly 10 balls. Each ball just flew off the face. Again, it was delofted to 9.5 degrees and had a very low, penetrating flight. Loved the way it flew off the club face. I will say the "pop" is a little loud. Does remind me of the old Nike Sasquatch. Not as bad as it, but definitely louder than the Callaway Epic Max LS. Each of the 10 shots I hit were a slight draw. I'm not sure yardage 100%, but appeared to land roughly 260-265 on the fly.

Really what I was looking for was accuracy and I was able to control this driver much easier than any driver before it. I'm happy to answer any questions y'all might have, but I definitely recommend giving this club a try. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Lastly, I really like the headcover because it is not too bulky. The Callaway Epic Max LS was just huge in my bag, and this club/headcover combo is slightly smaller and more slim.

IMG_7561.JPG

Nice little writeup, I just got one yesterday but with Alta CB 55R shaft. It really is a great driver, workable and forgiving.

Nice little writeup, I just got one yesterday but with Alta CB 55R shaft. It really is a great driver, workable and forgiving.
I’m looking forward to trying out its workability next range session. Appreciate you reading the review!

Nice write up. I’ve had the G425 max in 10.5 with the Alta CB 55s shaft for about 8 months now. I hit a lot more fairways than I ever have but I feel like I’m losing 20 yards compared to other drivers ive had. While I love the increased fairways I wish I could find something as accurate and forgiving and get back that lost distance

See what it does on the course.

I have a 9 degree in a TPT Golf shaft. Launches high mid.

Nice write up. I’ve had the G425 max in 10.5 with the Alta CB 55s shaft for about 8 months now. I hit a lot more fairways than I ever have but I feel like I’m losing 20 yards compared to other drivers ive had. While I love the increased fairways I wish I could find something as accurate and forgiving and get back that lost distance

Maybe give the Callaway Epic Max LS a try. For me it wasn’t as forgiving as the G425 Max, but you’d definitely get that distance you are after.

See what it does on the course.

I have a 9 degree in a TPT Golf shaft. Launches high mid.

Any adjustments to the loft for you?

Oh heck, looked at it again - it's a 10.5 set to 9. It is also 45.5 inches at a little bit over D3.

I remember trying it a year ago and my fitter said I'd need a 10.5 instead of my usual 9 degrees that I had in the G400 Max. So I bought a 10.5 this Fall and then putting a shaft to it, he adjusted it down to 9.

My Rogue ST Max is a 9 set to 8.

Not a speedy golfer but my AOA is about +6

I've tried to play around with the loft and knock it down to 9.0 but for some reason when I do I start snap hooking it. Very strange since that's also supposed to open the face. I've tried it at both the regular and flat delofted settings and still just can't not hook it.

I've tried to play around with the loft and knock it down to 9.0 but for some reason when I do I start snap hooking it. Very strange since that's also supposed to open the face. I've tried it at both the regular and flat delofted settings and still just can't not hook it.
Very odd. Yeah that does seem odd based on opening the club, you’d think you’d be hitting it left.

Tried the 425 max a couple of separate times. Really wanted to love it. Loved the look, the company, everything BUT the impact noise was not my cup of tea and couldn’t get past it. It “cheapened” the overall experience to me. I’m not sure why Ping would not have manipulated that part of the experience. It can be a bomber for the right setup I am sure if it. Ping doesn’t make a bad club.
Good luck to you!! Hope it’s the one!!

From reading, it seems the way to stifle some of the noise is to place 2-3g of hot melt on the underside of the crown. Haven't tried it yet because the sound is not that deafening to me. I've lost my hearing, hitting it. :LOL:

When that happens to me, it's usually my grip or I'm using the hands too much. My 10.5 to 9 tends to go right on course, if anything, unless my hands start doing weird things. So I check my grip, make it slightly stronger and take a normal swing. I'm also working on a fade that goes far to make it more reliable. But I tend not to follow through on a fade. Personal issues.

Tried the 425 max a couple of separate times. Really wanted to love it. Loved the look, the company, everything BUT the impact noise was not my cup of tea and couldn’t get past it. It “cheapened” the overall experience to me. I’m not sure why Ping would not have manipulated that part of the experience. It can be a bomber for the right setup I am sure if it. Ping doesn’t make a bad club.
Good luck to you!! Hope it’s the one!!
Yeah I get that. It doesn’t really bother me but I used to play the Nike Sasquatch and that thing was annoying. So I don’t mind this noise as much.

When that happens to me, it's usually my grip or I'm using the hands too much. My 10.5 to 9 tends to go right on course, if anything, unless my hands start doing weird things. So I check my grip, make it slightly stronger and take a normal swing. I'm also working on a fade that goes far to make it more reliable. But I tend not to follow through on a fade. Personal issues.
Same here. Normally my snap hook is closed face and coming too far inside on the downswing.

Yeah I get that. It doesn’t really bother me but I used to play the Nike Sasquatch and that thing was annoying. So I don’t mind this noise as much.

Yes, I played the first Nike SQ - the SQ2 sounded even worse - like a trash can reverberating across the range and course.

It made small children cry. :oops:

Yes, I played the first Nike SQ - the SQ2 sounded even worse - like a trash can reverberating across the range and course.

It made small children cry. :oops:
My brother still plays the SQ1 and it makes me laugh every time he hits it.

Please give him a driver...:ROFLMAO:
I would but he still hits the crap out of the thing. Sometimes pushing 300 yards with ease. He loves it!

Picked up a G425 Max 9.5* and tried it with various shafts but sold it and sticking with my Epic Max LS as I just could not get past the sound and feel of the Ping as compared to the Callaway.

Picked up a G425 Max 9.5* and tried it with various shafts but sold it and sticking with my Epic Max LS as I just could not get past the sound and feel of the Ping as compared to the Callaway.
Definitely has a different feel than the Callaway. You have a great club with that Epic Max LS!

Back