Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The NFL player and coach has died at 77 from complications due ti a long illness.

RIP Coach Reeves.

RIP Coach Reeves

Always the quintessential gentleman. While never a fan of any of his teams, I've always greatly respected and rooted for the man. May he rest in peace.

When I was a child, around 11 yrs old, I watched Dan play as a Cowboys running back. He was an excellent back, and then suffered a knee injury. In the 60's that could do you in. He came back but was never the same player but he played hard. I went to most Cows home games in the 60's and Tom Landry always started the first play of a game with FB Don Perkins up the middle. He did it to settle the nerves of his players. The local sportswriter rhyme was "Hi diddle diddle, Perkins up the middle." On one cold night around 1967 at the Cotton Bowl against the St. Louis Cardinals, I was standing high in the end zone alone, and the Cowboys ran the first play from scrimmage. But this time it was not Perkins ... it was Reeves coming out of the pack of players, running off tackle for a long TD run as the roaring crowd was taken by surprise.

Reeves would also throw halfback passes. He was a talented player. But more importantly, Reeves was a kind and friendly man. He lived in our neighborhood in Dallas, back then it was before players and coaches made oodles of money. We lived not far from the practice field. In the early 70's, Reeves was now a coach, and Mom worked in the first French Bakery in Dallas behind the counter to do something since we kids were in high school. Reeves would come into the bakery frequently and talk with her as he picked up his baguettes and pastries. She would mention at home that Dan Reeves came into the bakery and they had small talked. She always smiled talking about seeing him, talking, and his nice smile. He brought some small joy into my mom's life.

Reeves was always known as a good player and an excellent coach, but a better man.

Last edited:
Back