Road Bike Cyclists?

worst_shot_ever

I leave big divots
Reaction score
Anyone ride road bikes? I have a decent mountain bike, and used to ride road bikes a long time ago, but haven't for at least a decade. Maybe it was watching the Tour, maybe it is my ever continuing battle against enui, but lately I find myself getting revved up again about road bikes. I was looking around on E-Bay and Craigslist this morning, and was somewhat dissapointed to see that a used bike with a good frame and quality components will start around $700-1000. I used to have an aluminum Cannondale criterium frame with Shimano 600 (I think) components and would like something in a lightweight road frame with the modern equivelant components (I guess Ultegra). Well, just wondering if anyone is into this, and if so, what you ride, and how far you go.

I'm in the same boat as you W_S_E, I used to ride and for some reason I'm missing it right now. I had an aluminum Trek (1200) with full Ultegra, sold it a long time ago. My FIL still rides and we were talking bikes last night, he told my to get an "affordable" road bike today will cost me about $2000. It doesn't sound very affordable to me but if I want something comparable to what I had that will be the bill. I think I will wait a little while and see if the urge passes,lol. I wouldn't want to go getting too healthy again.

i just picked up free ones/ a couple under 5 dollars to use last few summers before i got my license.................ill sell you one for under 700$ :clap:

i just picked up free ones/ a couple under 5 dollars to use last few summers before i got my license.................ill sell you one for under 700$ :clap:

I really doubt that it would be "comparable" to the bike that I had.

Yeah, my big bad fear in all this is that I will blow a wad of cash (which could otherwise go to a new set of irons!! :D ), ride regularly for a month, then quit. I've done dumb things like that before. Maybe I should buy some slicks for the Mtn bike and play around with that for a month or two first to see if it is going to stick? Nah, I like new toys too much. :devil:

I used to ride a lot while I was living in Hawaii. But now with kids and school I just dont have the time to dedicate 20 mile rides to. So now I have a 2006 Trek 2100ZR just sitting in the basement wishing someone would buy it.

i just picked up a pretty simple trek 7.1FX (a hybrid, I know, not a real road bike)

been using it to cross train for my running program, the farthest I've gone so far is only 15 miles, but I've only had the bike a couple weeks so far. (I guess I should eventually get to where I bike longer than I run)

I have a TRIKKE and that thing is awesome. Also have a Specialized regular bike and my wife has a Trek.

I used to have a Trek 1000 and did quite a lot of road riding, but too many drivers dont pay attention and think that cyclists are obligated to get out of their way, riding on the road was just too hazardous; so I gave it up and stuck to riding the mountain bike.

I used to be a bike messenger...did it for a couple of summers and part time when I was a student in NY...had a specialized with shimano 600 components and mavic rims converted to a track hub (less to break)...had the track steerhorn handlebars and kept one brake on the front wheel...that was a sweet machine...the chain I wore like a bandelero was probably about the same weight as the bike...had a friend with an odometer clock his workday and he put in 75 miles that day...I can't even think about doing that today, but back then it was good times...

I just sold my Trek 1500 a few months ago after moving to Atlanta. I enjoyed riding on the country roads where I moved here from. The biggest concern there was random dogs running out of a yard with the intentions of eating me, but it was nothing a quick squirt from the water bottle couldn't handle. Now that I'm in Atlanta there's no wide open country roads and I'd need much more than a water bottle to fend off some of the threats here. And that's if I don't get hit by an Atlanta driver first!

I miss riding and will probably get back in to it when I get out of Atlanta. But until then, I have still have a nice road rash scar on my left elbow to remind me of the good ol' days.

How long have you been in Atlanta? Have you tried the Silver Comet Trail. It runs from Atlanta to nearly the Alabama state line.

I used to ride quite a bit. There is an event here called the STP, or Seattle to Portland. It is a little over 200 miles and is usually done in two days, but many do it in one. The last time I did it was I think 96. I don't think I have put more than a couple of miles on the bike since. My bike was a customized TREK, frame stretched a couple of inches for my size. I really enjoyed riding, but sold the bike and besides a couple of pangs, don't miss it too much.

How long have you been in Atlanta? Have you tried the Silver Comet Trail. It runs from Atlanta to nearly the Alabama state line.

I've been here for almost 3 years now. Yeah I heard about the SCT but at the time I was living downtown, and I just didn't want to ride in the city, although I saw a group of courageous souls doing it often. With the condition those streets were in I would have needed a mountain bike. The SCT was a good alternative, but I was used to just hopping on my bike and riding away from my house. So once I saw that I wouldn't get as much use out of it, I just sold it.

I live in Marietta now, and I'm considering another bike....maybe a mountain bike.

Back