Rolled back golf ball performance? Bryson video

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
First time I have heard that the Nike One ball would be considered a rolled back ball type performance. Interesting results

I am intrigued to see if it holds true that the rolled back ball wouldn't curve as much as the current ball. Obviously Bryson hits the ball much much much faster than I do but to see him struggle with the curvature of the shots was interesting. Believe me when I played Nike Ones I had no problem "fading" them into the woods.

So it’s the 05-09ish 330S. Bryson is more a Tour D kinda guy, I’m surprised he went with the One Tour.

i'm not sure what to make of it. I've been playing long enough to have used those exact balls. Bryson is a bit strange with equipment as we all know and i think he hams it up in his videos

I'm not a fan at all of the ball rollback but at times in the video he acts like this is barely golf. I mean, i've shot 74's with range balls at resort courses and not felt like "omg, this isn't even golf anymore!" I get it that it might react differently than his normal ball but leaving chips short 15 yards is not the ball....And some of the ranges i go to use older premium balls like this.....i've never felt like flight was just THAT different.

I hate giving up 5-10 yards.....and i hate the rollback

But Bryson i think is always hamming it up

My vote is for a rolled up golf ball... I need more performance.... This is a ___________ ( I can't say it, it would be politically incorrect.)

I enjoyed the video. If true, that it was his first go-round with that type of ball since he was a kid, if forced to play it now, he'd very quickly adjust to the difference.

I'm not at all surprised by, um... his surprise. I have (too much of a stash of) lots of balls that are 10, 15, and even 20 years old. I'll play some here and there, and on that random round, I'll have a helluva time adjusting for distance. But adjustments, in follow-up rounds, are easily attainable, imo.

I experienced similar in 2018 when I put some old stock Taylormade TP Red LDP balls in play. Then, an 11 year old ball. The first round wasn't good because I was waayyy off with club selection. But the lines of flight and trajectory were excellent. I recalibrated for the next round and shot lights-out with it from there until I exhausted my stock about 5 months later (and hit my all-time low index of 1.2). A prolonged back injury and with no more Red LDP balls left, feel for the swing way off, I fell into a long funk.

I also played a Taylormade TP Black (not the LDP version) last year. 2005 or 2006 ball, I believe. So, a 17 or 18 year old ball at the time. It was short, very short, relative to modern balls. But consistently so. I've little doubt that I could've adjusted well enough to that ball, too. Not that I'd particularly want to, though, admittedly.

They'll roll back the ball. It's coming. But the best players in the world will adjust as if it never happened.

The rest of us, if so commanded? We'll see.

Back