Rory think that golf is over saturated....too many tournament...

titleist981

Reaction score
Rory thinks that there is to many PGATOUR tournaments and golf is over saturated.....Is he right? I personal think that there is a lot of tours and for the low level players that's a good thing. Rory might have a different opinion if he was the #200 player in the world. Does golf need an off season? I say NO!

I don't see a problem. If they don't wanna play 50 weeks each year, no one is forcing them to.

If that is his opinion, I have to disagree.

Is the PGA Tour over saturated?

Yes. I watch a lot of golf. Most weeks, even the smaller events. However, the season is too long. Run it Tournament of Champions, until the Tour Championship.

Rory thinks that there is to many PGATOUR tournaments and golf is over saturated.....Is he right? I personal think that there is a lot of tours and for the low level players that's a good thing. Rory might have a different opinion if he was the #200 player in the world. Does golf need an off season? I say NO!
Rory is right.

I agree with him. The wrap around schedule has brought into play some unnecessary tournaments when I feel the tour should "take a break"

with rounds lasting as long as they do, i see his point...maybe an event every other week? and yeah, they don't have to play all events but who wants to watch knowing that you may be missing out on some of the best golfers in the world?...someone's gotta make money outta this.

There's 49 PGATOUR events. Maybe they should have a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 20 events a player could play in a single season. Also, a player must make out his schedule at the beginning of his season with no replacements....Keep the 49 event though....LOL!
Golf is global now so we need all the tours.

When the leadership of the PGA tour gets measured on how many playing opportunities they offer a wrap-around season is what you will get. For Rory I fully understand his point of view and perhaps having a legitimate off-season would up the anticipation for golf. However for the lower ranked guys the wrap-around is a great thing and the time when they can positions themselves in the FedEx / earn cash. What I would however like to see is a little more experimentation with formats for these tournaments and not your standard 72-hole events. Maybe also a time when you can experiment with e.g. shot-clocks, professional restricted balls, growing rough, etc. etc.

Rory is absolutely right. We don't need opposite field events at minimum.

I like as much golf as possible. No one has to watch it od they don't want to. I like that lots of folks can earn a living playing and that I can always gamble on it.

Rory is absolutely right. We don't need opposite field events at minimum.
Lot of dudes trying to get a break and earn a living disagree.

He is partly correct. There are too many stroke play events that all are basically the same.

Lot of dudes trying to get a break and earn a living disagree.

I could care less about what they want. I am the consumer and I want high level fields playing at great courses. I dont give a **** about Martin Trainer winning the Puerto Rico Open.

What would you suggest.....match play, Stableford, or a couple of winner take all?

Yes, something else. At least once in a while. There is one match play and one Stableford event each year. Do a LPGA mixed best ball. There is the Zurich team event do more of that. Just mix it up a bit more. Thats all. Especially the playoffs. I think the Fedex championship should incorporate match play some how. Do a cut after two days then Match play.

Just something. I admit to not having all the answers. Or even really any of them.

There is a huge chunk of the year that not many care about and the big names don't even play. I kinda tend to agree with this.

Yes, something else. At least once in a while. There is one match play and one Stableford event each year. Do a LPGA mixed best ball. There is the Zurich team event do more of that. Just mix it up a bit more. Thats all. Especially the playoffs. I think the Fedex championship should incorporate match play some how. Do a cut after two days then Match play.

Just something. I admit to not having all the answers. Or even really any of them.

This is what I'd like to see too. Maybe some shorter events? I have zero interest in what happens on Thursday and Friday in events. Having some 36 hole events might make things a bit more interesting.

I could care less about what they want. I am the consumer and I want high level fields playing at great courses. I dont give a **** about Martin Trainer winning the Puerto Rico Open.
Oh I have never watched the Puerto Rico Open. Someone still gets a check as far as I know. Is someone making people watch it?

He also said he wanted more limited field, no cut events. I dislike no cut events. I like seeing the top guys sweating a cut. You want a limited field you have to play into, that's fine but put up or shut up in those.

I agree with this. I believe various formats would generate a bit of interest. I think Match Play should be done more, but I think it should be at the PGA Championship. Two days of stroke play, then narrow down to 32 names for Match Play to find the winner.

So, I fully agree with him, but it is kinda odd it's Rory as the one saying it. He hasn't broken 20 events on the PGA tour...ever. He doesn't have to, and none of the big names have to. He does play a bit on the Euro, but he's at that upper level that picks their entire schedule. that's the only thing I find odd about it, unless there were others complaining and he's just a big enough name that he brought it up.

He also said he wanted more limited field, no cut events. I dislike no cut events. I like seeing the top guys sweating a cut. You want a limited field you have to play into, that's fine but put up or shut up in those.
True, but it's not like he's really missing many cuts haha.

I don't much care what Rory says. If he thinks there's too much golf then he shouldn't sign up for so many events. No one is forcing these players to play. Some people are fans of golf and want to see it all.

I wouldn't mind seeing more LPGA, Korn Ferry, Aussie PGA, European tour, and Latin tour events.

I don't much care what Rory says. If he thinks there's too much golf then he shouldn't sign up for so many events. No one is forcing these players to play. Some people are fans of golf and want to see it all.

I wouldn't mind seeing more LPGA, Korn Ferry, Aussie PGA, European tour, and Latin tour events.

He plays a very limited schedule already.

I think his point is that the product itself is over-saturated.

Back