I'd love to know what he did.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

What he and his wife filmed, with the wife of another Huddersfield player you mean?

What he and his wife filmed, with the wife of another Huddersfield player you mean?
Sex tape?!?! Who's wife? Spill!

Sorry don't know for sure...
It was supposedly a close team mate's wife is all I know. The club and the team now want him gone pronto but want him back when it all blows over so it is a loan scenario... Roosters not interested anymore because of that.

Sorry don't know for sure...
It was supposedly a close team mate's wife is all I know. The club and the team now want him gone pronto but want him back when it all blows over so it is a loan scenario... Roosters not interested anymore because of that.
I've heard Craig Huby?

Leeds have been linked with Ferres as well but I think after announcing our squad numbers we've probably done all our business. Can't wait to see Keith Galloway and Beau Falloon.

I rate Galloway and I think he's very suited to your style... very efficient and compact, hard running forward who can offload a good ball especially close to the line. Falloon is a 2nd rake for you guys?

I rate Galloway and I think he's very suited to your style... very efficient and compact, hard running forward who can offload a good ball especially close to the line. Falloon is a 2nd rake for you guys?
He seems a fairly straight replacement for Peacock to be honest, which is needed. Falloon will be our first choice hooker, and I reckon they'll probably use little Rob Burrow as an interchange for him to give something different. That way burrow can cover the half backs as well.

Keefy & Cuthbertson... not bad. Falloon always looks busy but sometimes he can lack the enthusiasm you need from a 9. Only a 1 year deal I noticed, maybe your coach see's it too.

On another note I am a little annoyed Burgess is still over there and not here training! Not sure what the official arrangements were but if he thinks he's a hope of making the starting side if he comes back with the team in Feb he's kidding himself.

Keefy & Cuthbertson... not bad. Falloon always looks busy but sometimes he can lack the enthusiasm you need from a 9. Only a 1 year deal I noticed, maybe your coach see's it too.

On another note I am a little annoyed Burgess is still over there and not here training! Not sure what the official arrangements were but if he thinks he's a hope of making the starting side if he comes back with the team in Feb he's kidding himself.

Bear in mind though, Cuthbo only had 1 year to start with and he was second in the voting for MOS, same with Brett Delaney and he's been here 8 years. Some great Aussie/Kiwi players just don't make it here, we learnt that with Bradley Clyde, Brett Mullins and Ben Walker a few years back. Basically, I know it sounds daft but some can't hack playing in freezing temperatures in February and March. The lifestyle can be an issue as well, and its a long way from home!

My concern this year is that we've signed a lot from down under, and that's not been our way for a long time, we always have a team of mostly local boys. Our strongest 13 last year only had 2 Aussies, and of the other 11, 9 were from the Leeds area. I hope we aren't substituting big names for local talent.

On a slightly different topic, are you happy with Mal Meninga?

On a slightly different topic, are you happy with Mal Meninga?

Being named Australian coach I presume...

Not wanting to sound like I'm being dismissive of your mob or the Kiwis but this appointment is nothing more than money for jam. A bit like me taking some of the credit if I was to caddy for Jordan Spieth this weekend. $300k for a full-time role for nothing more than a handful of upcoming matches is the old boys club rewarding one of the last fossils in the game. Laurie Daley (NSW) and Ricky Stuart (Raiders) are two more coaches of the same ilk... old fashioned in their thinking and their approach.

On the other hand you have coaches like Trent Robinson and Paul Green who are real trailblazers and lifting the bar for the NRL administration, revolutionising the way clubs are run and putting the onus of responsibility back front and centre in the minds of the players. And then there is Wayne Bennet (who will likely coach PNG against Aust and Meninga) who's style of coaching is timeless.

Again, not wanting to sound arrogant, but if Australia don't win a series you can put it down to the players not wanting to play for the coach. There is that much talent here and the game just gets more athletic and skilful season after season but it takes enormous dedication and effort to remain on top.

The game's politics unfortunately also has some bearing on outcomes... players don't like being ignored.

Being named Australian coach I presume...

Not wanting to sound like I'm being dismissive of your mob or the Kiwis but this appointment is nothing more than money for jam. A bit like me taking some of the credit if I was to caddy for Jordan Spieth this weekend. $300k for a full-time role for nothing more than a handful of upcoming matches is the old boys club rewarding one of the last fossils in the game. Laurie Daley (NSW) and Ricky Stuart (Raiders) are two more coaches of the same ilk... old fashioned in their thinking and their approach.

On the other hand you have coaches like Trent Robinson and Paul Green who are real trailblazers and lifting the bar for the NRL administration, revolutionising the way clubs are run and putting the onus of responsibility back front and centre in the minds of the players. And then there is Wayne Bennet (who will likely coach PNG against Aust and Meninga) who's style of coaching is timeless.

Again, not wanting to sound arrogant, but if Australia don't win a series you can put it down to the players not wanting to play for the coach. There is that much talent here and the game just gets more athletic and skilful season after season but it takes enormous dedication and effort to remain on top.

The game's politics unfortunately also has some bearing on outcomes... players don't like being ignored.
Yeah much as I admire the man as a player he doesn't have that much of a coaching pedigree, I honestly thought you'd have appointed someone like Wayne Bennett.

Still, Australia are down to 3rd in the world now behind us and NZ, and at the next world cup you're going to face an amazing NZ team at its peak, not to mention a young England team that's the most promising in a long time. For the first time we have a pack that can match yours for size with Graham, Westwood, Hill and the Burgess lads, one of the worlds best hookers in Roby and in Hall, McGillvary and Hardaker probably the most threatening back line in world rugby. If we move Tomkins to 7 alongside Widdop, with Watkins and Shenton in the centres, that's a back unit that will score tries against anyone.

I'm tipping us to win the next world cup, call me crazy.

Hi Crazy :giggle:

Just to set the record straight I'd dearly love to see a truly competitive international scene again. I believe the code grows as a whole and filters all the way down to club football in all the participating countries. It can only mean good things for our game!

Bennett will not coach Australia because 1. he was snubbed when he was clearly the best man for the job more than a decade ago, 2. he is continually at odds with the administration (and usually proven correct in the end) 3. he is a believer in a strong international field (remember he co-coached NZ previously). So rather than continually fighting the system he uses his coaching ability to grow the game and foster talent wherever he can and embarrass the hierarchy in the end anyway. He is a man who truly lives, breathes and understands RL and that cannot be said about many unfortunately.

For the record I don't think your crazy... it's good to hear the passion for the old enemy starting to re-emerge if Steve McNamara is to be taken at his word. Healthy crowds recently and including the move to London. Throw a green & gold jumper into the fray and the Kiwis will always show up ready to embarrass those across the other side of the ditch.

I don't know how much you see of our game here or players but let me throw you a potential Kangaroos team you might not be expecting. A team of 'up & comers' so to speak...

1. Cameron Munster
2. Valentine Holmes
3. James Roberts
4. Dylan Walker
5. Alex Johnston
6. Jack Bird
7. Adam Reynolds
8. David Klemmer
9. Jake Friend
10. Dylan Napa
11. Wade Graham
12. Josh Jackson
13. Corey Parker (c)

I could likely put 3 squads together not including current internationals. Perhaps just lay off that initial bet?

I'm not happy with McNamara to be honest, I don't agree with our national coach being based in Sydney when most of his team are based here. I'd give the job to someone like Jamie Peacock, a recently retired star who can inspire them and make them feel the importance of pulling on the white. Coaching nous is overrated when you see so little of your players, man management and leadership is a bigger attribute I think.

In terms of an up and coming team, if I was going to do a similar thing, this would be my young team of the future.

1. Zak Hardaker (Leeds, 22)
2. Tom Makinson (St Helens, 22)
3. Jonathan Swift (St Helens, 22)
4. Joe Wardle (Huddersfield, 23)
5. Tom Lineham (Warrington, 20)
6. George Williams (Wigan, 20) Captain
7. Ryan Brierley (Leigh, 21)
8. Alex Walmsley (St Helens, 23)
9. Kruise Leeming (Huddersfield, 19)
10. Tom Burgess (Souths, 23)
11. Stevie Ward (Leeds, 22)
12. George Burgess (Souths, 23)
13. Niall Evalds (Salford, 19)

We have a lot more young talent than we used to because the number of older players coming over from down under is going down all the time, we tend to give young lads a chance now. These lads will all be established starts by the next world cup.

I'm happy you can see a transition of older players for new stars occurring over the next few years. I think the notion remains here that the SL is still slow and cumbersome and a money earner for aging NRL stars is widely off the mark. The gap has closed considerably from a talent perspective. I can't comment on what is best for your national squad but I would hope McNamara has brought some of the things he has learned at the Roosters and NRL to the England side and to the local brains trust. This doesn't necessarily mean he should be the coach but he surely has this knowledge to share.

I'd still like to see a two way player swap system introduced whereby clubs could retain players and give them a little more than 2nd tier competitions to develop in while they mature. Joe Burgess is certainly not a good example of how I'd like to see this arrangement however. Personally I'm very disappointed he is still in the England while the Roosters are set to start week 6 of pre-season training. I'm not sure why this is but if you want to look at it from a player development/responsibility aspect, and a starting point for lifting the bar and gauging what it takes to be successful in the game I think the situation with Burgess fails on all counts. If I was 21 and talented and with the opportunity he has before him, I certainly wouldn't want to be starting from the rear of the field and with the suggestion that "he's just out here for a holiday" being reported. Perhaps he's remained at home because the Roosters fly over in Feb and it's convenient? Who knows...

I'm happy you can see a transition of older players for new stars occurring over the next few years. I think the notion remains here that the SL is still slow and cumbersome and a money earner for aging NRL stars is widely off the mark. The gap has closed considerably from a talent perspective. I can't comment on what is best for your national squad but I would hope McNamara has brought some of the things he has learned at the Roosters and NRL to the England side and to the local brains trust. This doesn't necessarily mean he should be the coach but he surely has this knowledge to share.

I'd still like to see a two way player swap system introduced whereby clubs could retain players and give them a little more than 2nd tier competitions to develop in while they mature. Joe Burgess is certainly not a good example of how I'd like to see this arrangement however. Personally I'm very disappointed he is still in the England while the Roosters are set to start week 6 of pre-season training. I'm not sure why this is but if you want to look at it from a player development/responsibility aspect, and a starting point for lifting the bar and gauging what it takes to be successful in the game I think the situation with Burgess fails on all counts. If I was 21 and talented and with the opportunity he has before him, I certainly wouldn't want to be starting from the rear of the field and with the suggestion that "he's just out here for a holiday" being reported. Perhaps he's remained at home because the Roosters fly over in Feb and it's convenient? Who knows...

Super league has improved hugely since it started. I'm 28 so I don't remember much of the old Stones bitter premiership that played through the winter but from the early days of super league when everyone relied on washed up lads from down under like Steve Renouf, Allan Langer, Tony Iro, Gary Mercer and many others, we've come so far. Veteran lads from down under still have a place, we wouldn't have won our first super league title with a young team if we hadn't had Dave Furner at 13 to show some maturity, but now the reliance is on home grown talent. We're closer to the NRL than ever, despite a much lower salary cap and average crowds of 10k. Leeds are the best supported club and our average is 17k, while, clubs like Wakefield and Castleford are happy if they get half that. Were always up against football, union, and cricket as the big sports but there's more and more interest all the time. Kevin Sinfield has been nominated for BBC sports personality of the year, a first for a league man, and that's a huge step forward!

As with Burgess, he's played almost every game for Wigan this season who went to the final (and lost to us, natch!), and then he's played the series against NZ, so maybe its an extended break, but we went to both finals and won everything, and our lads who played against NZ have all been back in for a few weeks. My local pub is opposite the training ground so I've been stood outside with a beer watching them play practice games.

Truth be told with Burgess, he's a lucky boy, because he isn't amazing. There are many better wingers here, Hall, Briscoe, Penny, McGillvary, Murphy, Makinson, Carney, I'd say their all better. If I was an NRL club I'd be after Jermaine McGillvary to be honest, because he'll never win anything with Huddersfield.

I'm glad we have the marquee player rule now. I was worried teams would use it to bring in over the hill Australians, and some are like Warrington with Kurt Gidley and Catalans with Willie Mason, but now when NRL clubs come for Kallum Watkins, Ryan Hall, Zak Hardaker or Liam Sutcliffe, at least Leeds can match the money they're being offered. If they still want to go I can't blame them but at least it's for the right reasons.

Nowadays when clubs here sign Australians and Kiwis they're often at the top of their game. Leeds have signed Galloway who's in his prime, same with Rapira at Huddersfield and Sandow at Warrington, I just hope that continues.

I'm looking forward to a good season but I'm concerned for Leeds. We've lost 3 huge characters in Sinfield, Peacock and Leuluai and brought in a lot of new players along with promoting a few talented youngsters like Singleton, Sutcliffe and Handley, but we've been led by Sinfield for 15 years so its going to be a huge change. Me might struggle for consistency but I think Leeds will be up there again.

This is the man we've lost, ironically to finish off in union playing in the second division for Leeds Carnegie. Debut in '97, stand off since '03, captain since '02, 7 super league championships, 3 challenge cups, 3 league leaders shields, 3 world club challenges, 2 Harry Sunderland trophies for grand final man of the match, a Lance Todd trophy for challenge cup final man of the match, a golden boot award as the worlds best player in '12, captain of England, played at 3 world cups, 2nd in Leeds all time appearance list with 527 games played, 1st for points for Leeds, 1st for points in super league, 3rd all time for points in British rugby league and above all just a thoroughly nice bloke. Met him on a few occasions and he's always been nothing but modest, kind and friendly. I met him once at a meet the legends event at Headingley and I said to him a bit drunkenly "You know what Kev, you're my hero in rugby". He looked a bit surprised, and said "Really? Ellery Hanley's over there you know? Cheers though mate". Laughed my arse off! Ended up having a few beers with him and Jamie Jones-Buchanan, one of the best nights of my life!

Watch "Kevin Sinfield nominated for BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2015 #SPOTY" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/kEOVLNYhdlQ

I'm surprised you have that opinion of Burgess... I like what I've seen of him;

Now I realise it's a highlights compilation, but I really don't see he is playing against a vastly inferior opposition. He is quick as well as having nice balance. He reads the play well and IMO this makes it look easy. No complaints from me!

NRL sides rarely look abroad for wingers, so when the Roosters announced his signing I immediately thought as a centre or fullback. In 2014 we had as many as 6-7 wing options.

Fullbacks are commanding big $ here... $500k plus for a good one. To fit one under the salary cap it often means putting all your eggs in the one basket and pushing for a premiership in 1st season, maybe 2nd... or trying to save $ in forwards roster. Either way can be dicey IMO.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the other players you've mentioned but I'll say again. If I was Burgess and I'd signed with the Roosters AND then heard they were short a fullback I know what I'd be doing... it could have meant as much as +$250-300k in his second season with us instead of the reported $90k.

Still, Australia are down to 3rd in the world now behind us and NZ, and at the next world cup you're going to face an amazing NZ team at its peak, not to mention a young England team that's the most promising in a long time.

I would be a bit surprised if Australia did not win the next world cup or come second at worst. They still could field 3-4 world class teams on their own. Talent is not Australia's problem, it is the old boys club that does the selections and a complete lack of coaching brains. RL is not really known for its brain power.

Although when you look at the numbers the best players in the ARL are mostly islanders, so Australian RL dominance might be fading.

I can remember the 'surprise' of losing a single test to the Kiwi's. Now it's WC and entire series...

I'm surprised you have that opinion of Burgess... I like what I've seen of him;

Now I realise it's a highlights compilation, but I really don't see he is playing against a vastly inferior opposition. He is quick as well as having nice balance. He reads the play well and IMO this makes it look easy. No complaints from me!

NRL sides rarely look abroad for wingers, so when the Roosters announced his signing I immediately thought as a centre or fullback. In 2014 we had as many as 6-7 wing options.

Fullbacks are commanding big $ here... $500k plus for a good one. To fit one under the salary cap it often means putting all your eggs in the one basket and pushing for a premiership in 1st season, maybe 2nd... or trying to save $ in forwards roster. Either way can be dicey IMO.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing the other players you've mentioned but I'll say again. If I was Burgess and I'd signed with the Roosters AND then heard they were short a fullback I know what I'd be doing... it could have meant as much as +$250-300k in his second season with us instead of the reported $90k.

He is good, but there are better. Burgess has had one really good season but he goes missing a lot. When we beat Wigan at Headingley Burgess looked frightened, he was out of position constantly, poor in defence and folded in tackles. He's too lightweight for my liking.

Look at Ryan Hall for a comparison, or Jermaine McGillvary. Both big, strong, fast lads who score tries for fun and would anywhere, Hall is England's record try scorer at 27 year old, and McGillvary scored 27 tries in 30 games last season, we looked far better in the final test against NZ when he replaced Burgess at 2.

You have some of the best in the world at 1 over there, Inglis, Tuivasa-Sheck, Slater, it says a lot that Tomkins couldn't make the grade, although I reckon Hardaker has taken the 1 for England now. Bear in mind he was in the man of steel and golden boot shortlists, if ever there's a player I'm worried about losing to NRL its him.

I would be a bit surprised if Australia did not win the next world cup or come second at worst. They still could field 3-4 world class teams on their own. Talent is not Australia's problem, it is the old boys club that does the selections and a complete lack of coaching brains. RL is not really known for its brain power.

Although when you look at the numbers the best players in the ARL are mostly islanders, so Australian RL dominance might be fading.

I think it is, although you write off the Roos at your peril. They've never been quite the same since Lockyer went, who in my mind was the world's best player, an absolute hero.

Australia and NZ beating England isn't the formality it was. What we lack in outright power we make up in inventiveness and guile. For years we made the mistake of trying to play your way, but now we're developing our own way of playing and it shows.

43 years since we won the cup, but I don't we've much longer to wait...

Back