Rule Changes Coming in 2020??

stevie-a

Yeah boyeeeee!
Reaction score
Handicap
New Things
Saw this article and many of these are obviously aimed at pace of play...

Golfweek understands that among the revised rules under consideration are: reducing the search time for lost balls from five minutes to three; allowing players to repair spike marks on greens; allowing players to drop a ball from any height when taking relief rather than the current stipulation of shoulder height; more of an emphasis on using red stakes for water hazards while still allowing yellow stakes in some cases; and eliminating the use of club lengths for taking relief.

Golfweek contacted the R&A, but a spokesman said: “the R&A does not wish to comment at this time since the rules process is still under review.”
The three-minute search rule will be seen as a means to try to speed up the game, while tour professionals will cheer any new rule allowing spike marks to be repaired. Professionals have complained for years at the unfairness of earlier groups playing on perfect greens while the leaders have to putt through marks left by the rest of the field. The European Tour even defied the R&A on this issue during the 1976 season, allowing its members to fix spike marks.

Full article here: https://golfweek.com/2017/01/23/rules-of-golf-ra-usga-changes-2020/

I think it could be a mistake to remove the shoulder height provision. You'll get yahoos 'dropping' from an inch, which will improve their lie vs what they would have otherwise gotten. I'd be in favor of saying "approximately" shoulder height.

I'd love to see divots being considered as G.U.R.

I think it could be a mistake to remove the shoulder height provision. You'll get yahoos 'dropping' from an inch, which will improve their lie vs what they would have otherwise gotten. I'd be in favor of saying "approximately" shoulder height.

I would like to see one drop from shoulder height and then place the ball where it hits if the ball rolls outside the allotted drop area. Dropping multiple times is just a waste of time.

Personally, looking for 3 minutes is still too long. If you can't find the ball within about a minute, you are more than likely not finding it.

I agree, however this is one time where the argument could be made about those of us who aren't as tall having a possible advantage? Would myself, where my shoulder lever is approximately 5 foot, and someone like Dustin Johnson who's probably around foot higher maybe be at a dis-advantage? I think they should make a standard approximate level above the ground, say for example, 3 foot.

I would like to see one drop from shoulder height and then place the ball where it hits if the ball rolls outside the allotted drop area. Dropping multiple times is just a waste of time.

Personally, looking for 3 minutes is still too long. If you can't find the ball within about a minute, you are more than likely not finding it.

"I'll drop so we can move on!"

Zero mentions of divots as GUR.
Zero mentions of footprints in sand as rake and place.

I love you some of the time, USGA/R&A. I hate you right now.

Many of their rules introduce a wild increase in the 'grey area' that USGA rules super supporters claim make it impossible to make simple changes to improve the fairness of the game. I am looking forward to more information on what is being considered, and how that impacts the great rules discussions we have on THP.

That's actually one rule I didn't have a problem with... Can't wait to see what they change it to. If it's unclear, you better believe I am dropping from a hair above the grass.

Much of this is solved with any location where a ball is viable for loss being deemed a lateral hazard. There's a lot more shame in making the trek back for a re-tee than there is plopping a ball down and saying "no worries, let's move on"

I think I like some of these proposed changes. The drop height is probably the last thing I would have said was an issue regarding drops. The whole process of taking a drop or taking relief from a cart path (or whatever) is a ridiculous production currently...the shoulder height drop is the only part I can always remember lol.

I completely get the whole spike marks are unfair thing, but that one kind of worries me a little. My fear is guys like Spieth will find 3 minutes worth of 'imaginary' spike marks to fix on every 20 footer he faces and it will be emulated by ams and become yet another tour inspired pace issue we all have to deal with.

I think I like some of these proposed changes. The drop height is probably the last thing I would have said was an issue regarding drops. The whole process of taking a drop or taking relief from a cart path (or whatever) is a ridiculous production currently...the shoulder height drop is the only part I can always remember lol.

You would be surprised how many people don't even know there is a rule that say at what height the ball is go be dropped from, so this could be good and maybe unnecessary change

Personally I prefer the underhand toss to the approximate point at which it went out at the red stake with the final position adjusted using the clubhead the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red stake, white stake, yellow stake should all be exactly the same two club lengths no closer to hole and then you "place" the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Zero mentions of divots as GUR.
Zero mentions of footprints in sand as rake and place.

I love you some of the time, USGA/R&A. I hate you right now.

What constitutes a divot? Why are we even raking? Part of golf is playing it as it lies...

I know the whole divot thing drives you crazy. I was surprised you never put the whole divot issue into a White House Petition

What constitutes a divot? Why are we even raking? Part of golf is playing it as it lies...

I know the whole divot thing drives you crazy. I was surprised you never put the whole divot issue into a White House Petition

That is a solid plan. I'll have to consider it!

I'd love to see divots being considered as G.U.R.

I absolutely agree. We were talking about that yesterday. How can it be fair when someone in front of you on the same carves out a trench and you end up in it? It wasn't there at the beginning of the round and it is "man-made" Everyone ahead gets the advantage of playing onto fewer divots. Doesn't seem right.

Back