Rules question: ice and snow?

Akh223

Reaction score
Handicap
As I was driving past a local golf course today, I noticed that in one of their bunkers was some snow and ice. Now, in the south we don't get much snow or ice (maybe 1 or 2 times a year) and when we do it might blow through the area and be over 50 and sunny in the next few days. This leads to situations like I saw today. The fairways are clear, greens are open, and there inst much of anything left on the course except in some of the shaded areas that do not get direct sunlight. People are out playing, and it made me wonder on the rules.

So, if the course was 99%+ clear, how would any remaining snow or ice be handled by the rules?

If you were to hit in to an area still covered by snow or ice would it be considered casual water?

I suppose most courses would have a local rule in effect if it was just a few days after a storm, but what if they didn't? How do the rules change for playing in or around the snow?

I think snow or ice can be either casual water or loose impediments. Up to the golfer. I think.

As I was driving past a local golf course today, I noticed that in one of their bunkers was some snow and ice. Now, in the south we don't get much snow or ice (maybe 1 or 2 times a year) and when we do it might blow through the area and be over 50 and sunny in the next few days. This leads to situations like I saw today. The fairways are clear, greens are open, and there inst much of anything left on the course except in some of the shaded areas that do not get direct sunlight. People are out playing, and it made me wonder on the rules.

So, if the course was 99%+ clear, how would any remaining snow or ice be handled by the rules?

If you were to hit in to an area still covered by snow or ice would it be considered casual water?

I suppose most courses would have a local rule in effect if it was just a few days after a storm, but what if they didn't? How do the rules change for playing in or around the snow?

Yep. If there is ice/snow on the course, it is closed.........

Not always and snow is considered casual water. Ice too iirc, but ice can be fun ;)
Loose impediments? Okay well yeah that could work but like Hoosier said: the course could probably better close down anyway.

I would have agreed with this 100% until Friday. We were scheduled to play Grand National in Auburn, AL at 8:00. We had been cancelled out of Capitol Hill Thursday because the greenskeeper decided not to untarp the greens due to the cold. It was 23 degrees when we arrived and being from the frozen north walked into the clubhouse and asked how long the delay would be. "We're ready to go right now" was the response from the club pro. We shook our heads in disbelief, loaded up and drove to the first hole. It took me 4 tries to find a spot on the tee box that wasn't frozen, my approach shot found the frozen trap and the green was frozen solid. We turned around and drove back to the clubhouse for refunds.

15 minutes later the pro sent the bag boys out to start untarping the greens on the second course as there was a group coming in later to play. Absolutely ludicrous IMO - any greenskeeper with any common sense would keep the course closed.

Sorry - I know this didn't really answer the OP's question - IMO it would be up to the individual playing the course, but casual water or loose impediments would be reasonable rulings to me.

We've always gone with the standing water for everywhere except green, for the greens we do no more than 2 putts.

I would not have thought loose impediment but figured the casual water. Learn something new everyday.

Not here it isn't. If the course is clear enough for reasonable play, it is open for play. Areas where the snow hangs on in shady spots are casual water. Small bits of ice or snow are usually loose impediments. The rules say that the distinction is up to the player.

[h=4]Casual Water[/h]Casual water’’ is any temporary accumulation of water on the course that is not in a water hazard and is visible before or after the player takes his stance. Snow and natural ice, other than frost, are either casual water or loose impediments, at the option of the player. Manufactured ice is an obstruction. Dew and frost are not casual water.

Back